Sony's Effort To Stop Other OS Class Action Suit.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by sergster1, Apr 4, 2011.

1. sergster1
    OP

Member sergster1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    As 'scene' developers are finding ways to 'return' Linux to Jailbroken PS3 Consoles, that Sony forcely removed from all Consoles last year, Sony has decided to use the 1st year Anniversary of this sad event, to move the courts to dismiss the 'Other OS' lawsuits that had been filed by 'legit' PS3 owners!

[​IMG]

One of the 'legal' grounds that Sony seems to be using is the wonderful new 'ToS' that also had recently forced down PSN owners with the switchover to 'SNEA', read more from extracts from the 'Groklaw' site:

The 'bad part' that makes you do a 'double-take' is the part that Sony wants to look at all the HDD's from those that filed the 'Other OS lawsuits' claiming maybe they are part of a bigger 'hacker conspiracy'!

At least thanks to hard effort Graf_Chokolo Linux has made a 'come-back', all tho since we don't own our PS3 Consoles thanks to the new 'ToS' by Sony, we are at the mercy of being 'sued' or 'worse' if we play around with the 'coreOS' to get back features that Sony originally SOLD us when we BOUGHT our PS3 from the store!

News Source: Groklaw - SCEA Files Motion to Dismiss Class Action Again, More Discovery Disputes, Plus a Revealing Transcript Surfaces

Image and news thanks to 'PS3HAX.net'

2. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    I hope all this legal shit comes back to haunt them and kills their gaming division. They have no ethics and don't give a shit about their own reputation among gamers anymore, they are going to crash and burn because of all this.

3. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I don't hope this, but unless they turn it around, this will happen. They already lost a customer in me, and a few of my friends are close to saying the same thing.

4. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    another 1 of sonys failed excuses

5. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Well then.

Off to play my PS3.

6. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    No offense meant to you, and not to claim this is how you will act (because I don't know you) but...

I had a friend who said he was sick of the Call of Duty franchise, sick of what the publisher(?) was doing, releasing the same game with minor changes and charging full price (I don't know the details, I just know he was going to stop buying CoD games)... that lasted all of a few months til the next game came out. Then he said the same things all over, and then bought the next one.

Often times, what gamers SAY and what gamers DO is different. Look at the Call of Duty boycott:
    http://www.bravenewgamer.com/wp-content/up.../11/boycott.jpg
    http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4650/st...tymodernwar.png

7. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Devil's advocate: Sony never had to implement an option to install a different OS on their hardware. In fact, that's a very unusual move for any major console manufacturer.

It's also doubtful that they assumed any responsibility to continue supporting it. That's the fun thing about licensing agreements and TOS in America: a company can stipulate just about anything and you get the choice between blanket acceptance or you can go live in a cave and hunt deer for the rest of your life--completely detached from society and technology.

In other words, Sony has no obligation to support Linux and never did.

8. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    The only Sony product I own is a PSP Go, and I don't even buy the games for it anymore, and I was for a while, but now I refuse to support Sony in any form anymore. The whole corporation is a joke. Had friends treated like shit by Sony over warranty to repair a TV because the part was going to cost them more to replace then what a TV was worth. Sony finally agreed to just replace the TV with a brand new one for 300 bucks which is still a joke when they shouldn't have charged the guy and just covered the whole fucking warrant instead of being cheap bastards. Sony doesn't care at all about anyone, they need to take a lesson in ethics and proper business practise, going around suing everyone is not how to conduct a business. Do you see Microsoft taking everyone who has hacked the 360 to court? No, they got better things to worry about then a few people who want to use Linux on the PS3.

9. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    I'm really not liking Sony at the moment. They really need to turn around and stop being massive [censored]s.

10. twiztidsinz

United States
    while you're right, again, support isn't the issue.

11. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I 'really' don't understand why 'Sony' has to 'be' like this all the 'time'.
    They're just 'digging' themselves 'deeper' into a pit of 'hate'. It's not gonna get any 'better' if they keep doing this to 'themselves'.

lol, cwutididthar?

12. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    'I' don't 'like' it when 'people' 'overuse' 'apostrophes'!

EDIT: Directed at OP, not _Chaz_

13. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    Why didn't these people just sell their PS3's in protest?

14. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Well, it's easier than typnig the *closes fists with index and middle finger pointed outward, doing curls with them* gestures of word emphasis *now raising curled fingers and arms into the air, yelling I am not a crook, and giving my cheeks a shake*.

15. chrisrlink

Member chrisrlink Rouge Temper

United States
    it sickens me that presumably Sony has all the Judges on their payroll also the us government may shut down....and why you may ask?.....CORRUPTION in our government HEY CONGRESS IF YOU BLAME ANYONE ELSE BLAME SONY

16. twiztidsinz

United States
    So far it's just one "judge" who isn't actually a Judge, he's a Magistrate (someone who is appointed by a Judge).

17. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    With as stupid as these cases are I'm surprise Groklaw hasn't covered more of it. I like their articles.

Anyways, yeah, WTF.

It's like some higher-up in Sony accidentally watched a linux-themed BDSM video as a child and was mentally scarred and now regards anything linux as an enemy.

18. Sterling

United States
    The thing about boycotting a company is, there are other ways to use their products without supporting them. Call of Duty for example. It has free online play for a one time buy. If I buy Modern Warfare 2 used, they receive none of the proceeds and I still get to play multi-player. However, many game companies seem to be leaning towards downloadable multi player vouchers to circumvent the used market. When this starts to be the standard, I will no longer be buying Call of Duty period.

The last Sony game system I owned was a used 1000. I also pirated everyone of my games, except the used copy of War of the Lions I got with the system. I own a used Sony trinitron which I got for free. Every Sony product I own, has never been purchased new.

19. shadowkillerdrag

Member shadowkillerdrag GBAtemp Regular

United States
    who the fk cares -.-, they made the ps3 i play it im happy -.-

20. Sterling

United States
    You may play the PS3 now, but soon it will play you. [​IMG]