Sony working on the original 'The Last of Us' remake, according to new Bloomberg report

tolu.jpg

A new report from Bloomberg broke the news that Sony is working on a remake of the PS3's The Last of Us for the PS5. Code-named T1X, the project was initiated by a small team of around 30 people wishing to form a new Sony games development studio. The team first planned to remake the first Uncharted game released back in 2007 but they settled on The Last of Us as it involved relatively less work and resources, and wanted to bundle it with the game's sequel for the PS5. Following this project, the group thought that it would have established itself and work on remaking the first Uncharted and other games later on.

T1X was apparently approved on "a probationary basis" and the team's existence kept a secret by Sony and weren't even allocated more budget to hire additional staff. Nevertheless, the small group worked on the remake and by Spring 2019, they had a completed a section of the game for showcase purposes. However, Hermen Hulst, former Guerrilla Games head and newly-appointed head of PlayStation’s Worldwide Studios, was allegedly unimpressed with the project.

When the team expected to begin production on the remake, they were called to do some polishing work on The Last of Us Part II which was delayed to 2020. This slowed down their progress on the remake as most of the team was assisting Naughty Dog. Following the completion of The Last of Us Part II, Sony apparently assigned "dozens" of people from Naughty Dog to work on T1X, some of whom worked on the original game itself. The remake was now moved under Naughty Dog’s budget.

All these developments made Mumbauer’s team see their short-lived autonomy as being stripped away. Bloomberg reports that by the end of 2020, "most of the T1X team’s top staff had left, including Mumbauer and the game’s director, David Hall". However, T1X remains in development at Naughty Dog.

Similarly, Bend Studio behind Days Gone, was "assigned to work on a new Uncharted game with supervision from Naughty Dog". But fearing that they might get integrated into Naughty Dog, Bend Studio's leadership "asked to be taken off the Uncharted project" and are working on their own new game. Jason Schreier, who wrote the Bloomberg report, says that he doesn't know if the new Uncharted project is still underway as "it was all on paper at Bend".

Bloomberg does not cite its sources in the report, writing that "Mumbauer declined to comment and others asked not to be named discussing private information", so we might want to take these news with a grain of salt. What the report seems to indicate is a refocus from Sony's part towards bigger games and big studios while distancing itself from smaller teams and projects, which was also indicated by the recent reorganization of their Japan Studio.

:arrow: SOURCE

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys don't understand at all, do you ? It might not be for you but think about it. Some people don't have PS3 or PS4. It will give new gamers an opportunity to try those remake games out on PS5. That's great news. Not for me too but give a new gamers a chance, huh ? :)
I highly doubt there are people that have a PS5 but have never had a PS5. It just came out and can barely be found, not only that, but it is also backwards compatible with the Last of Us remastered as well, so anyone that gets a PS5 will have the ability to play TLoU right off the bat.

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So nice that after 20-odd years, Naughty Dog's first game is finally getting a remake.
I try to read this multiple times.... Cynical? Wrong info?
when talking about Tlou. That game is barely 8 years old (ps3 June 14 2013)
Naughty dogs first game under the nd name is an Amiga game from 1989 so 32 years ago.

So what are you trying to say?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt there are people that have a PS5 but have never had a PS5. It just came out and can barely be found, not only that, but it is also backwards compatible with the Last of Us remastered as well, so anyone that gets a PS5 will have the ability to play TLoU right off the bat.

I understand your point and I totally agreed but they said remake. Maybe they add more to PS5 that PS4 cannot do. I don't mind as long as they added and improvement things for the remake then I would get it.

I am talking about some people who already have PS5 at home and will gladly buy this game. I will keep my eyes on this remake. If it doesn't do much and already have everything PS4 had then its worthless, I agree.

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand your point and I totally agreed but they said remake. Maybe they add more to PS5 that PS4 cannot do. I don't mind as long as they added and improvement things for the remake then I would get it.

I am talking about some people who already have PS5 at home and will gladly buy this game. I will keep my eyes on this remake. If it doesn't do much and already have everything PS4 had then its worthless, I agree.
The only problem I have with a TLoU remake is that the game is far too new and isn't in need of a remake any time soon

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The only problem I have with a TLoU remake is that the game is far too new and isn't in need of a remake any time soon
Dude, it's 8 years and two console generations old. It released on the PS3. It's practically retro gaming at this point :ha:

;)

Elvasat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
With ND bleeding talent and the way TLOU 2 turned out, im not optimistic about a TLOU remake. Most of the devs who worked on both games are already gone so dont expect another masterpiece.

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I try to read this multiple times.... Cynical? Wrong info?
when talking about Tlou. That game is barely 8 years old (ps3 June 14 2013)
Naughty dogs first game under the nd name is an Amiga game from 1989 so 32 years ago.

So what are you trying to say?
It's sarcasm, but I forgot to add the /s.

Reactions: lafleche

Rommstain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Well they can also port TLOU1 to the PC along the way and dangle #2 as a console incentive.
I'm guessing that was their original idea with Horizon Zero Dawn and they liked how it worked out, judging by the promise to bring over more ports, eventually.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but...