Sony will be acquiring developer Insomniac Games

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 19, 2019.

1. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Sony's already acquired Naughty Dog.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Actually Sony acquired Naughty Dog in 2001 https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/91213/Sony_Acquires_Naughty_Dog.php

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    What is Sony's history with buyouts like this? Are they an EA/Ubisoft style run them into the ground? Nintendo style incompetence? Square Enix style mishandling? Microsoft style 50/50 shot?

I couldn't even remember any previous Sony efforts here in recent times. Went looking and Killzone and Horizon Zero Dawn devs Guerrilla games, Infamous and Sly Cooper devs Sucker Punch productions, LittleBigPlanet devs Media Molecule, World Rally Championship devs were later set to make Motorstorm and Drive Club before being shuttered, Zipper Interactive who made Socom, Twisted Metal devs Incognito.
    Most of those seemed to limp on for about 10 years before being shuttered or becoming shadows (sometimes long before being shuttered) but at this point we are looking at 2000s era sony bringing us to the 2010s so a somewhat different company and landscape.

3. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    how is nintendo style incompetence? lol

nintendo rarely ever buys a studio, they basically just contract them, or help funding them somewhat, i only recall nintendo buying monolith soft for xenoblade, all other studios they either help funding or just still to this day contract them to make games for them.

Treeko, ombus and Xzi like this.
  4. Shadowghul91

Shadowghul91 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2019
    Germany
    I dont think that switch users will loose anything :D i think its just a mrketing thing, microsoft is doing ori and shit for the Switch and Sony will be like uhm yeah ok then youll get ratchet and clank from us yaaaay so much probs for sony xD

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I have yet to see a Nintendo acquisition or "might as well be an acquisition" go on to achieve greatness. They usually then just languish in mediocrity.

6. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Well that is a serious sad day for gaming in general seeing Insomniac was releasing more and more titles on pc wich they never did and started doing recently but i guess that will be a thing of the past now. Well for now atleast seeing PC future wise is going to be the dominant platform gaming wise since it is already heading that way wich you can notice by all the ports we're getting and even ports from studio's that used to be console exclusives and optimisation being way better than it was 10 years ago

7. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Not surprised though since spiderman was a huge hit for insomniac and they don't want the devs to make superhero games on any other platform especially ms.

8. Essasetic

Essasetic Your Local TX Fanboy Rebirth

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Welp, there goes Spider-Man coming PC.

Speaking of which, maybe wait a few more years and we may have a functional PS4 emulator.

Last edited by Essasetic, Aug 19, 2019
  9. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    like i said monolith soft is doing great, the rest of studios that make games for them arent aquisitions at all, nintendo does not own them just hires them, ever since snes and n64 days with rare, nintendo funds their studios, doesnt buy them, that is the reason you dont see nintendo aquisitions lol they dont do them often, heck even retro studios wasnt aquired, nintendo just help them funding the studio so they didnt bought them after.

Xzi likes this.
  10. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I'd argue that their partnership with Platinum defies that trend. I'm looking forward to Astral Chain more than I was for just about any other Switch game in the last few years.

Yeah I somehow forgot about Retro Studios. Heresy considering that Metroid Prime is one of the best FPS trilogies of all time. Hopefully MP4 lives up to that legacy too.

Last edited by Xzi, Aug 19, 2019
  11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    So from Xenosaga and Baiten Kaitos as an independent to Xenoblade yawnicles?

Is that a particularly high bar?

12. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    spyro is not owned by insomniac since ps2 days, they sold their rights for money to activision, spyro has nothing to do with insomiac , they have no control over them at all.

13. SpiffyJUNIOR

SpiffyJUNIOR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2016
    United States
    US
    Rest in peace any hope of the R&C games getting ported to PC.

14. Teletron1

Teletron1 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    I thought Sony bought them back in 01 thats why they work in house

15. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    just like i said that is basicaly the only aquisition nintendo has done to this day lol, so your saying oh nintendo aquisitions dont do anything remarcable, how can you base a sample on one studio? because nintendo never bought anything else lol, therefore you cant make a sample of a single case and call it nintendo imcompetence, and sony and microsfot wishes many of their aquired studios were doing as well as monolith soft lol, while they basicaly do one game they sell decent number and get good crits so yes it isnt a failure.

16. Essasetic

Essasetic Your Local TX Fanboy Rebirth

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Oh I see. Got confused between devs then. My bad!

17. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Somewhat high between SMO, SMM2, BotW, and SSBU. The quality of the new Fire Emblem also surprised me. The bar is only a little bit higher for PS4 games, and that's only because I'm a big fan of Soulsborne games/Marvel IPs. This console generation has been relatively light on 'must-buy' exclusives overall.

18. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Looks like I will have to get a PS5...

19. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    That wasn't going to happen anyway unless Sony allows it. Sony owns Ratchet & Clank not Insomniac. If somehow we heard news that "Microsoft bought Insomniac" today instead of Sony, you still wouldn't get Ratchet & Clank on PC.

20. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It'll be years before PS5's library justifies purchasing the console, but I'm just hoping it'll allow us to play all PS4 games at 60 FPS. That would make it worth a purchase at launch.