Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
psp-socom-02-18-2010.jpg
QUOTE said:
Sony's already taken a pretty big shot at the used game market with the download-only PSP Go, and it looks like it might now be going some way towards taking physical media out of the equation as well. In what's described as a "trial run," Sony has added a new authentication measure to SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3 for the PSP that will require gamers to first register their game on PSN before they play online. Once that's done, you won't be able to use the UMD on another PSN account, and anyone buying a used copy of the game will have to shell out $20 for an additional voucher to play online. According to Sony, that's being done primarily to combat piracy, but there's no getting around the fact that it also makes used copies of the game a whole lot less attractive to potential buyers. No word on any future games that will employ similar measures, though we wouldn't count on Sony giving up on this one too quickly.
Source

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is funny, no point in buying a used copy if you have to pay $20 to register it so you can play online

It doesn't go after pirates, it goes after people who buy it used.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
But... you can't register a backup, cause the code is in the case...? I don't know, I haven't bought a PSP game in a while.

Pretty much, the code can only be used once, kind of like a CD key, if you buy it used, you can't use the code.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
referencer said:
I find it hilarious how much effort companies are putting into making piracy more attractive.
Yeah, I know! They're just advertising that you can now get free games with just a few workarounds. Nintendo has the right idea, not telling what the updates do, and just say that it's for "security."

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They're putting the used game stores out of business. Those codes can be cracked as well, and a crack may happen quicker than most people think.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seek01 said:
Well SOCOM is from in house Sony right?

Theres no guarantee that every other dev will pick up the AP
But practically every dev. wants money, so chances are, they'll pick up soon enough, which sucks horridly.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Excellentnuke said:
They did something similar for Phantasy Star Portable 2.

Serial checks for the UMD version. The code inside had to be typed on the PSN prior to logging in to the PSN unless you had a digital download which I had and the download had a built in serial.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Heh, Sony's just digging its own grave. This will DEFINITELY piss off buyers and their sales would go downhill.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Sony should spend some time translating gems only released in Japan and release them in the US, instead of inventing new APs which would most likely be cracked eventually, even if it's not instantly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple