Sony to Continue Support for PSP After NGP’s Release

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by croagunk.master, Feb 13, 2011.

1. croagunk.master
    OP

croagunk.master Newbie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Source

2. Maedhros

Member Maedhros GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    That was expected. They'll only ask for developers to release these new games on PSN too, for people with NGP download on the future.

3. yeop

Member yeop GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    I hope NGP doesn´t get all good games and leave only bad(or at least not so good) games for PSP

4. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    When the NGP comes out i might pick up a pre-owned PSP [​IMG]

5. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    THEY will, but I doubt any third party developers will.

6. croagunk.master
    OP

croagunk.master Newbie

It'll be dirt cheap then.

7. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    They're dirt cheap already, you can pick 'em up at 50 dollars already.
    I've thought about it, but I have hardly enough time to play all the DS games I want, so where would I find the time to play on my PSP?
    Also, I doubt the online community of some games you might like will still function properly if you only start playing the game just now.

8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    people are cheating in most of the online games anyway

9. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    First party developing for the PSP is guaranteed to shift entirely to the NGP. No developer is going to stick with the easy to pirate for system regardless of PSP model when they can move to the new fortress.

PSP owners might get some neat third party games, but that will be the extent of it.

10. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    And homebrew won't die out so soon of course, emulators and shit make the PSP a very interesting platform to buy.

11. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    I think most emulators have come as far as they are really going to go on the PSP after so many years. Most homebrew developers are probably going to anticipate the NGP being cracked so they can get to work taking advantage of all the great hardware to start developing. Like I said, support won't die entirely, but it is going to be a bit of a ghost town.

12. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    does sony even have a research and development team or do they just sit back and wait to see what nintendo does, copy it, and add better specs???

13. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    That's an ignorant response. If you had even seen the specs of the two systems, you would see they have little in common beyond the fact they both have visuals and can play games with sound.

14. croagunk.master
    OP

croagunk.master Newbie

I think the exact opposite.

15. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    not really. nintendo does motion controls; sony does motion controls. nintendo does touch screen; sony does touch screen. if anyone should be sued, it should be sony as all they seem to do is steal ideas, change them a little, and pass them off as original. does sony really feel like getting raped by nintendo yet again? they must be masochists!

16. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    Motion controls and touch screens are included with most hand held devices anymore. Honestly, Sony is just getting with the times including these in their products. Unless you want to say Nintendo ripped off the first people to use said features too.

17. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Pretty much. Sure Nintendo were the first to implement it into gaming, but they were not the first to use it considering Sony has not just a gaming division but also they do electronics. (Phones, laptops, GPS, etc.) And they do pretty much all their technology in-house (ie OLED, though Samsung released theirs first, they were working on it around the same time), so whose not to say they didn't get the ideas from that division?

And from godreborn' statement, that must mean that Nintendo ripped off Apple since Apple was the first to use a gyroscope and accelerometer with their games and apps. I guess Apple should sue them then.

18. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    Nah.

Sony is just playing "follow the leader" like they always do. They're always ripping off the ideas of other companies because they're creatively bankrupt and have no genuine inspiration or genius of their own.

On a side note, it really seems like certain parties (not talking about people on this site) are desperate to keep the NGP in the spotlight. Every couple of days there is another article (like this one) which is really an excuse to mention Sony's new portable. The reason? Internet response to the new portable was lower than expected. A lot lower. Coming soon, another dozen fluff articles related to the NGP....

19. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    Because the Playstation Eye never came out yeah Ninty totally made motion controls.

20. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Wait, Sony supports PSP? When they did that? I thinked Sony is a third party more for the PSP.