Sony tells retailers to start pulling PlayStation Now cards from sale amidst rumors of Game Pass competitor

sbowe.png

A rumor is beginning to gain more traction, a little more than a month after its initial claim. In December, Bloomberg stated that Sony may begin to phase out its PlayStation Now service and introduce a better subscription that would be more along the lines of Xbox's Game Pass. Now we're seeing something hinting at that being possibly true, as Sony is pulling PlayStation Now retail cards from sale in the UK.

According to a report from VentureBeat, GAME stores across the UK are being ordered to remove any retail cards that can be redeemed for a PlayStation Now service. Retailers have until the 21st to pull them. A Sony representative officially commented on the matter by saying that the removal is due to the company wanting to focus more on general PlayStation gift cards, which can also be used to buy a PlayStation Now subscription. Of course, while that could be true, it does seem curious, given the supposed claims of insider sources regarding a revamp of the service.

:arrow: Source

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think it's that easy for them to build a "Game Pass competitor" this quick, at least not yet, probably why Sony haven't said anything about it yet because it's still being worked on.
PlayStation Now already allows downloading some of the games instead of just Cloud streaming so chances are much of the tech legwork is already there. I could see them launching this in a couple months provided they’ve already done the needed deals with publishers.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's that easy for them to build a "Game Pass competitor" this quick, at least not yet, probably why Sony haven't said anything about it yet because it's still being worked on.
I don't know what you mean by "this quick"... They've had years to put something together. Just because rumors started last month, that doesn't mean Sony started last month.

Reactions: Seriel

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
PlayStation Now already allows downloading some of the games instead of just Cloud streaming so chances are much of the tech legwork is already there. I could see them launching this in a couple months provided they’ve already done the needed deals with publishers.
all ps2 and ps4 games can be downloaded, only ps3 games have to be streamed

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I just got a PS Now sub for a month three day ago, just to Play Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 on my PC. I have to admit, I'm quite impressed how well streaming games works now. Last time I tried (which was years ago) the experience was terrible. Now it just runs like a native game (not counting the compression).
I'm looking forward to what they have to offer as a competition to Game Pass. A Sony subscription with the same amount of third party games like Game Pass would be a much better offer than Game Pass itself, since that would include the first party games as well. We all know, that Microsoft has no noteworthy first party games. So that would be a hard win for Sony.

Reactions: felix.200

Jean Karlo

Hacker Aspirant!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't have to build anything new, just create a new subscription that includes both ps plus and ps now. The tech is already there.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't have ps5... yet... fucking scalpers
Now you know how I felt for the first year of the Wii's existence and the first year of the Wii Balance Board's life. (I still can't believe the morons who said that Nintendo did that on purpose as if intentionally selling fewer consoles while it is red-hot is good business.)

• Angry
Reactions: PopcornSweetie

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I really doubt that Sony will bring something like GamePass, but if they manage to bring native backwards compatibility with PS1, PS2 and PS3 my interest in PS5 increases by about 300%

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
all ps2 and ps4 games can be downloaded, only ps3 games have to be streamed
That’s not bad then. So its kind of already a game pass equivalent in spirit. A strong rebrand/refresh with some big marketting money, addition of PS5 titles is a must, and an integrated PS Plus tier would do a lot for bringing it toe to toe with game pass. Game Pass has been a steal and I’d love to see Sony go up against it proper.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM