Sony tells retailers to start pulling PlayStation Now cards from sale amidst rumors of Game Pass competitor

sbowe.png

A rumor is beginning to gain more traction, a little more than a month after its initial claim. In December, Bloomberg stated that Sony may begin to phase out its PlayStation Now service and introduce a better subscription that would be more along the lines of Xbox's Game Pass. Now we're seeing something hinting at that being possibly true, as Sony is pulling PlayStation Now retail cards from sale in the UK.

According to a report from VentureBeat, GAME stores across the UK are being ordered to remove any retail cards that can be redeemed for a PlayStation Now service. Retailers have until the 21st to pull them. A Sony representative officially commented on the matter by saying that the removal is due to the company wanting to focus more on general PlayStation gift cards, which can also be used to buy a PlayStation Now subscription. Of course, while that could be true, it does seem curious, given the supposed claims of insider sources regarding a revamp of the service.

:arrow: Source

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess rumors do have a grain of truth. We all heard about Project NX and the idea that it would feature a portable device that you could dock to a TV and play anywhere. While it didn't turn out exactly what we thought it would become (basically a better Wii U without the Wii branding), the Nintendo Switch hasn't been too terribly disappointing - although I swore it off for a short time due to the fact that it forces you to play only your own digital purchases on other consoles NOT set as primary.

As for what Sony may be planning, I am curious to see what may happen to PlayStation Now. Now sounds like a good service, but if they're going to revamp it to include movies and other stuff, then I may actually wait to create a PlayStation account and join it whenever they do (especially if it includes some free content, and not just the limited-time "try before you buy" trials).

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully this means the birth of "PlayStation Plus Ultimate" so customers can get both services as one, like Xbox does.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ps4 pro isnt nearly powerful enough
That's a shame, but even if it were there's a possibility it'd have compatibility issues like it does with PS1 and PS2 games, right?

I have a PS3 with CFW so I'll probably just use that if I want to play PS3 games. Need to buy a 1TB HDD for it 'cause the 80GB it came with is nearly full.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
$ony just needs to buy up the RCPS3 devs already, so we can have PS3 games on PS4 Pro.

*monkey paw curls*

Granted. But Sony pulls a Nintendo and requires you to pay an even higher monthly premium compared to PS+ to stream an emulator that used to be free and locally available. Oh and only a handful of titles supported at launch and they’ll drip feed future games...if the publisher says it’s okay. All builds of RCPS3 are pulled due to conflict of corporate interest and no more updates

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sony sony sony what a complete fuck up you've made of this gen. you might as well just abandon the ps5 and keep making ps4s :creep:
It's a better deal to have a PS4 Pro (especially with one of those "special" firmwares) than a PS5 considering there's hardly anything for it. I doubt GT7 will even be released in 2022 taking into account previous GT games were delayed.

Sony screwed up. Feels like the PS3/360 era all over again which Microsoft snatched customers from them and now with GamePass? Plenty to play for not too much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.