Sony Surveying Users on Potential PSN ID Changes

PSN.png

Launching in 2006, the PlayStation Network has been an integral service for any player of Sony systems, providing online content and multiplayer capabilities amongst a plethora of helpful features to its ever-growing userbase. Despite this service being almost 12 years old now, Sony have yet to provide a means of changing your PSN ID - the face of your online PlayStation experience. This could be about to change.

Recently, Sony has been sending out surveys to an unknown demographic of PSN users, asking whether being able to change their ID would be a feature they're interested in. Interestingly, the email below first posted by PushSquare requests secrecy from its recipients, stating they "can’t be sure whether this feature will be added or not."

PSN ID.jpg

Would you be interested in changing your ID should the feature be available? Do you have an unfortunate name from 2006? Let us know below.

:arrow: Source

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Shawn Layden said back in December that the feature would likely be added by the end of 2018, and Sony itself has taken two surveys within in the past 3 years where name changes have always had the most votes. Seems ridiculous that they've mentioned it so many times, and they know the desire for it, yet they fail to implement it.

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's crazy that this wasn't a thing from day one. One rumour I heard is that your PSN ID is the unique identifier for the account rather than the usual string of numbers. I'd laugh if that was true but it would make sense from an infrastructure stance.
If this is true, this gotta be a very bad overlook when they designed the system

Reactions: damiano2712

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The real question is, how much will it cost? I know it isn't gonna be free. Better make it higher to give people a statement to make it count. Or suffer paying $20 per name change every time you do so. :teach:

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I suppose the survey is Sony’s way to create hype. As if they ever believed that nobody would share this story if they asked them not to. The survey itself is a joke because obviously Sony knows how much of an requested feature that is.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The real question is, how much will it cost? I know it isn't gonna be free. Better make it higher to give people a statement to make it count. Or suffer paying $20 per name change every time you do so. :teach:
I imagine the first username change will be free, at least for a limited time after it launches. After that it's likely to cost a similar amount as changing your Xbox Live gamertag, which is like $10 last I remember.

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I honestly am against it, but if it has to be, then that it'd be only one change per account. I hate how Steam handles name changes.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Be ready to pay for the name changes :)
Finally DLC such as "Name Changer" are offered for our PSN accounts. Was about time.
Can't wait for the PSN-settings-pass for being able to use the PSN settings (needed to be bought for every of your systems seperatly, expect the first system on which you have initially signed-up) ;)

Last edited by VitaType,

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's definitely necessary, but I have one problem with it, and that is when I go to my friend's list and go

"Who the hell is this? I didn't add this guy."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn