Sony struggling to keep PS5 cost down

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
even if was 500 quid stil a good price compared to hundreds mor youd hav to pay for a pc with hardly any difference and the hassle of configuring games and settings-plug and play way to go-dont kno what yr on about re fun games are you saying thers hardly any on ps4 bit of a stupid statement saying tht

Reactions: Nobody_Important4u

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had to cut my post short so chose the word fun to represent my sentiment, but what I really meant was focus on playability over graphics. Its possible to do both of course but not cheaply, and there needs to be a lower cost option for quality gaming that doesnt involve a phone.

Reactions: peteruk and Tarmfot

DANTENDO

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thers no excuse for not having enough money for the latest console - you get like 5 6 years to put by few hundred quid thts not difficult its just people dont think - so ther doesnt need to be a lower cost option of anything

Reactions: prism_ and Hardline

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thers no excuse for not having enough money for the latest console - you get like 5 6 years to put by few hundred quid thts not difficult its just people dont think - so ther doesnt need to be a lower cost option of anything
That's a short-sighted way to look at things there's always a need for lower cost options. Not everyone lives the same life you do and they have every right to be catered to as much as you do. I don't buy into the whole gaming is a luxury thing.. everyone deserves a way to play the latest games or see the latest movies. Give them a PS5 Lite without 4K and ray tracing.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to Bloomberg Sony is finding it difficult to maintain the $399 mark with it's new console, with a price point of $450 to $499 looking more likely.

It makes me wonder if convergence with PC's is a wise move, or if Nintendo has the better strategy to keep specs more modest and concentrate on fun gaming instead?

I dont mind for this cost since you have plenty time to save money. It is okay if they have PS4 backward compatibility but if they also have PS1,PS2, and PS3 (I doubt) on PS5 as well then 599 will be worth. Otherwise, 450 to 499 sounds right.

For PC.. Yes and no. I'm into God of War and it wont be on PC.. Many other games that aren't available on PC and wont be on PC. So I m stick with PS things, thought.

For Nintendo .. I cannot care. Nintendo Switch is going to be my last one unless they won me over for 3rd party AAA fully supporting or Nintendo is not getting mine.

I had to cut my post short so chose the word fun to represent my sentiment, but what I really meant was focus on playability over graphics. Its possible to do both of course but not cheaply, and there needs to be a lower cost option for quality gaming that doesnt involve a phone.

I am into for both .. Not just playability. It doesn't mean anything. Sony all the way. SONY IS THE BEST! Nintendo is.. BLEH.. They dont know how. Look at failed N64, Nintendo Game Cube, Wii, and Wii U. BLEH.

DANTENDO

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's a short-sighted way to look at things there's always a need for lower cost options. Not everyone lives the same life you do and they have every right to be catered to as much as you do. I don't buy into the whole gaming is a luxury thing.. everyone deserves a way to play the latest games or see the latest movies. Give them a PS5 Lite without 4K and ray tracing.
I'm not rich I only work part time but I put cash by even if you do 10 quid a month -noone has the right for anything unless it's water so start saving small amounts of cash and youl be rewarded with the stuff you want when the time comes - and what's the point of a lite what's its gonna be 100 quid cheaper soz but its just not worth it as consoles come around every 5 6 years

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
its just not worth it as consoles come around every 5 6 years
That is exactly why I don't think it's good value. At least a PC can be upgraded to an extent but consoles (that are now no longer unique and interesting but just basically PC's) are just throw away hardware. I can't believe I'm saying it but it almost seems like a subscription based model is the way to go (I've always hated subscription based models). Make it like the black box the cable company provides. They replace the box after a few years when better tech is available and all you have to do is keep paying the monthly bill. Just to be clear, I don't mean streaming.. just normal digital downloads.

DANTENDO

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is exactly why I don't think it's good value. At least a PC can be upgraded to an extent but consoles (that are now no longer unique and interesting but just basically PC's) are just throw away hardware. I can't believe I'm saying it but it almost seems like a subscription based model is the way to go (I've always hated subscription based models). Make it like the black box the cable company provides. They replace the box after a few years when better tech is available and all you have to do is keep paying the monthly bill. Just to be clear, I don't mean streaming.. just normal digital downloads.
Lol look how old the original ps4 is the games are not so much different from a top end pc - the last of us still looks and plays great compared to anything out ther- and yeh you may hav to buy an extra console like the Pro but you can exchange yr original ps4 with it if money is an issue-so the ps5 wil prob follow tht route but again if save its affordable-I do think yr overthinking about the cost of stuff and saying its no longer unique does it matter I'm sure you've had a good time playing the games and surly thts enough

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even if was 500 quid stil a good price compared to hundreds mor youd hav to pay for a pc with hardly any difference and the hassle of configuring games and settings-plug and play way to go-dont kno what yr on about re fun games are you saying thers hardly any on ps4 bit of a stupid statement saying tht

Just stop already with the PC costs hundreds of $$$$ more & the "hassle" of configuring games nonsense. Overblown bullshit. As an example, my PC is probably valued at $300-$400 TOPS, and it will blow away any current gen console in a heartbeat. And the "hassle" business is a complete non-issue. It's much more of an upgrade than a downgrade as you're trying to push it off as.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

DANTENDO

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just stop already with the PC costs hundreds of $$$$ more & the "hassle" of configuring games nonsense. Overblown bullshit. As an example, my PC is probably valued at $300-$400 TOPS, and it will blow away any current gen console in a heartbeat.
Blow away lol you act like yr 2 gens ahead-I kno nothing re building a pc so show everyone here yr specs and how much each part cost and let them decide how much mor powerful it is than a ps4 pro and what games show off its true power

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Numerous things to talk about in this thread. In a nutshell:

PC>>>Consoles

There is a lower-cost option for quality gaming that doesn't involve a phone. It's called a Fire Tablet.

Sony can afford to sell the system at a loss (aka $400). Continue to push PS+ which is $$$ for something that should be free and on software. Not ideal but they've done it before with PS3 and at least it won't be that painful like dat cell processer.

Wii U sucks.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ooh some top notch DANTENDO fanboying/industry shilling/apologetics today. I wonder if it ever gets boring.

Anyway I wonder how much of this is chasing the 4K dream. 4x time the numbers of pixels plus a meaningful improvement and now having to do a loss leader that only comes good in the 3rd of so year...

I will come back when there are games, hacks for it or it otherwise proves its worth. Maybe the new xbox will do something. That or should just get a PC as they are pretty painless these days (not that it bothered me even when they weren't), and will likely come with more games even if I ignore backwards compatibility of the PC.

JustBrandonT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The next generation console should NOT cost the same as the previous generation. That's stupid af.
If you can't afford the latest console, wait until you can. A SLIM version always comes out.

To the guy saying his PC costs $300-400 and blows away a PS4 Pro or XBox One X, as a builder, I call BS.
The RX580 costs around $400 CAD (it's maybe around $160 now since the 5600XT got released this year).
The 1060 costs around the same price.
The CPU will cost anywhere between $300-400 CAD for a good one ($150 for entry-level)
The monitor will cost.
The board will cost $100-$200 CAD.
The RAM will cost $200-300 CAD.
The PSU and Cooling will cost $100-200.

Translated to USD that's already around: $500 USD if we take the lowest prices (not including monitor, mouse, keyboard, SSD or HDD).
So shut up with your lies.

Even if you went ENTRY level everything and spent the minimum amount possible AND did the mail-in rebates (which almost no one does).. https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/XQscCJ/entry-level-intel-gaming-build or https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/DHTwrH/entry-level-amd-gaming-build
(Please note, none of the links above even have cooling or PSU included)

It will cost a $500 USD (after mail-in-rebate, not including the monitor, mouse, keyboard, headphones/speakers, Windows license key, cooling, PSU, etc)

To even have the audacity to make such claims without posting the specs of your PC is beyond me.

How are you guys even comparing with such biased views.. a PC to a console. Let's be real, an entry level PC isn't going to play the latest games for 5 years like a console would.. but it would allow you to do other every day life stuff too so that's a PLUS for PC.

It would be quite very reasonable for the PS5 to cost $500. On ALL the platforms, the cost of games are high anyway. So if you can't afford a console at $500, good luck buying the damn games that cost $80-100 anyway.

Last edited by JustBrandonT,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)