Sony stops backwards compatibillity support

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Linkiboy, Oct 8, 2007.

Oct 8, 2007
  1. Linkiboy
    OP

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States

2. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    Slowly... very slowly... we're starting to see an OK price.

3. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I don't own a ps3, but I'm waiting for the price to go down and good games to come out. Anyway from what I've heard the USA and Japanese versions of the PS3 emulate the PS2 via a chip. The European version does it by software emulation, that isn't as good. So sony dropping the ps2 backward compatibility seems to be the easy way out of it. You can still play ps1 games on it though.

4. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I've got a PS2 and 1 so it doesn't really bother me. Seems pretty stupid to scrap the software based emulation but if it helps drive down the price I'm all for it

5. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    I have a "fat" PS1, "fat" PS2, and 80GB PS3. Been playing Final Fantasy VIII a lot so far on the PS3. Only one minor visual oddity I might've noticed. When I'd entered the Missile Base, and that yellow truck was still parked there, it had a little flicker that's hard to describe. Not sure though. Maybe I'm mistaken...

6. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    I don't know if removing software emulation is to lower the price. I think it's to encourage playing PS3 games over PS2 games.
    Nobody buys a PS3 as a PS2 upscaling machine, unless s/he is freaking rich, or have 200 retail PS2 games in the house [​IMG] and yet Sony thinks people aren't buying PS3 games just because they're busy with playing PS2 ones.

I got 60GB U.S. version thinking it would be the last model with EE+GS chip, I was kinda right (For Sony may revive it when BD drive production cost dramatically decrease) but honestly I played only 5 PS2 games, and have or used to have 12 PS3 games (selling some atm)
    That ratio doesn't justify the existnece of PS2 chip =/

40GB ver. + used modded PS2 is cheaper than 80GB ver. + buying used PS2 games of your region only.

Strangely, removing software emulation might boost PS2 sales, or used PS2 sales. Just a thought, I'm not an ANALyst.

7. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    See below.
    PS. An IDIOT is me

8. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Removing memory card support thingy, removing 2 usb-ports, removing backward compability, removing some hard drive space...
    and stop producing the superior model?

I think it's just a lame excuse to boost the sales of the BIG pack... and over all, it is just fucked up....

9. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    I wanted to get a PS3 not only to play the new PS3 games. But also to play some of the PS2 Gems I haven't finished.
    This is stupid, plain and simple.
    $ony will lose bigtime not having VVoltz on board.

10. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Surely PS2 compatablility doesn't cost them enough to warrant removing it to reduce cost.

11. mattyb89

Newcomer mattyb89 Member

United Kingdom
    I think removing PS2 capability is a really bad move I mean people will still want to play PS2 games as there are still no good PS3 games out as all the bigg hitters have Jan release dates, I'd love to know what Sony are doing to themselves oh how the mighty have fallen [​IMG]

12. WK416

Member WK416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Wait. Wouldn't removing backwards compatibility generate less sales? What are they thinking? [​IMG]

13. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    They're thinking they would save money.

14. reaperman@home

Member reaperman@home GBAtemp Regular

there's also the issue with ancient ps1/2 games not getting them cash because they are all bought used. Granted it's a value added feature great for customers...but with the loss they're taking on the hardware, it's not like selling more ps3's is making them any money either.

show of hands, who bought into nintendo's line of crap when the DS and micro stopped playing the first two generations of gameboy? There's no real reason why that needed to happen, but it cost money and time, and didn't really generate anything return.

15. JohnDrake

Banned JohnDrake Banned

United Kingdom
    This is one stupid idea.

16. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    gotta love that sony logic..
    It really makes no sense, but they say it does.

17. cubin'

Australia
    zomg ds don't play gb and gbc games!1 poor logic kill fail

18. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I'll tell ya.....it seems to me like Sony actually wants the PS3 to fail. It's fine to remove excess ports and whatnot, but many people consider backward compatibility as actually important.

I think Sony invented a new kind of drug and they're testing on themselves. [​IMG]

19. cubin'

Australia
    maybe they made a mistake in the press release [​IMG] I don't know why they'd get rid of PS2 [​IMG] it doesn't make a whole lot of sense I admit.

20. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
    I don't understand how some of you are percieving this as a bad business decision. The reality is that the majority of potential PS3 buyers don't give a shit about playing PS2 games. They want NextGen?. They want the new games that PS3 can deliver, but they aren't willing to pay Sony's stupid asking price.

By dropping PS2 compatibility (which Joe Public doesn't give a shit about) Sony can release PS3 at a lower price (and Joe Public does give a shit about that). How is this going to do anything other than boost PS3 sales?

Honestly, some people are so retarted [​IMG]