Sony showcases loading times for their next generation hardware versus the PS4 Pro

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 21, 2019.

1. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    The only ps4 game that I played in which loading times had an impact was the Pillars of Eternity port. I can barely notice a 8 second loading screen.

I can have super fast loading screens on a PS4 or even PS3 as long as I swap their HDD with an SSD yet they try to showcase this as new tech.

Sony people are acting like grade A scammers trying to showcase features that are irrelevant/redundant/already existant on their products. I could bet people are way more interested in the console being able to run PS3 discs than this.

2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    8k LMFAO no fucking way in hell. pc can't do it even so ps5 sure in hell won't be able to!! 4k isn't even properly doable yet on ALL the consoles without using rendering and fps reducing tricks SO 8k is at least 10 years away :rofl2:

Last edited by Bladexdsl, May 21, 2019
    Peloisan likes this.
  3. ModderFokker619

ModderFokker619 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 2, 2015
    United States
    California
    SSD vs Regular SATA of course

4. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 21, 2014
    France
    That's simply putting an high speed NVMe SSD (like Samsung 970 PRO or EVO). They can reach and soon they'll exceed 3000 MB/s.
    This is nothing new: a lot of PC games installed on NVMe load in almost 1/5 or even 1/10 the time taken by PS4 HDD :

PS4 users don't sense this until they play PC games. I even hated Street Fighter 5 on PS4 compared to PC because of its looong loading time.

KingBlank, Xzi and ModderFokker619 like this.
  5. grey72

grey72 grey area

Jul 5, 2018
    Antarctica
    About Here-ish
    This is an extremely entertaining thread LMAO

Peloisan, KingBlank and Pipistrele like this.
  6. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    The 8K comment is just there coz 4K is ssooo PS4 Pro/last years news, and will probably be as much use as the 4K mode on Switch - movie playback at most..
    As for the loading times - well the SSD focus on consoles is welcome. MS will of course follow suit, but yeah let's not get too excited about this showcase difference! Anyone remember that real-time wizard/orc video thingie they showed us running on PS4 hardware? ...Anyone remember the initial PS3 reveal!? :lol:
    It will be a noticeable improvement coming from a PS4 of course though.

ModderFokker619 likes this.
  7. ImLEBrAn

ImLEBrAn Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2019
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Home menu in 8k 60? Who gives a rats ass about that? Do you even have a 8k TV? Have fun dropping a few thousand $$ just so your stupid home menu runs at 8k/60 lmao

Bladexdsl likes this.
  8. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I'm surprised are 8k TV's "only" a few thousand now? But they are future proofing, nothing wrong with that.

9. ImLEBrAn

ImLEBrAn Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2019
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Then why go with 60fps and not 120 or 144

10. ModderFokker619

Oct 2, 2015
    United States
    California

Leave that to microsoft

11. ImLEBrAn

ImLEBrAn Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2019
    Antigua and Barbuda
    leave it to sony to be retarded and chase the resolution meme instead of focusing on what actually matters

12. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Too hard to run, I think some of the first (mainstream at least) 120hz tvs will come out this year, so 8k will be a bit (unless 120 becomes standard for some reason)

13. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2013
    Russia
    Moscow
    Sounds uber-fishy tbh, unless the price range will be 500-600$.

14. graeme122

graeme122 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2007
    United Kingdom
    United kingdom
    8k lol, small print states checkerboard rendering from 1080p.

Bladexdsl and ModderFokker619 like this.
  15. ModderFokker619

Oct 2, 2015
    United States
    California

Lets hope they focus on hardware yields this time. The ps4 is the new Xbox 360 RROD. It's all I get for repairs nowadays. All models.

graeme122 likes this.
  16. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    Backwards-compatibility is one thing. But with all that PSNow stuff and the PS4 being built around streaming... where's the forwards-compatibility? Why is nobody talking about that? I mean, put those PS5 games on PSNow from the start. It won't be the real deal, but people could play those and see what to expect from buying a PS5 (which might even incentivize getting one).

17. grey72

grey72 grey area

Jul 5, 2018
    Antarctica
    About Here-ish
    Quit scaring me, it ain't funny

18. graeme122

Oct 13, 2007
    United Kingdom
    United kingdom
    Maybe just maybe they pulled that next generation time from their ass and when the ps5 is released it will be from 8 secs down to 4 secs but I could be wrong.

19. jt_1258

jt_1258 Something

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    Ya'll do know they may be reffering to ray tracing for sound and not graphics at all right?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

iirc they have been testing with ps4 games and ps5 games are likely to use higher quality assets so that is likely the case for any game made more so with the ps5 in mind.

20. graeme122

Oct 13, 2007
    United Kingdom
    United kingdom
    Maybe but I'll stick with they had a meeting and some ponce shouted a number from their ass "0.83 secs"