Sony showcases loading times for their next generation hardware versus the PS4 Pro

Ps4-Playstation-4-V2-Logo-Decal-Sticker__00068.1511152916.jpg

The next generation of gaming isn't quite here yet, but we're starting to see glimpses of what will be, through teases and hinting. Today, we got another look at what Sony has up its sleeves, during a corporate strategy meeting. Takashi Mochizuki, a reporter for The Wall Street Journal attended the meeting, where he took video of Sony showcasing "immersive" and "seamless" loading for their next-gen successor to the PlayStation 4.

8GrtQJi.png

• The two keywords for the future direction of PlayStation® are “immersive” and “seamless.”
    • Next-generation console: “Immersive” experience created by dramatically increased graphics rendering speeds, achieved through the employment of further improved computational power and a customized ultra-fast, broadband SSD.
    • PlayStation streaming: Through the evolution of “Remote Play” and “PlayStation™Now,” provide a seamless game experience anytime, anywhere.
      • Remote Play: Turns PlayStation®4(PS4™), which is expected to reach 100 million units in cumulative sales this calendar year, into a streaming game server, providing streaming content at the closest point to users.
      • PlayStation Now: Provides immersive game experiences to users regardless of whether they own a PS4 console at all.
  • Sony will pursue its mission to make PlayStation “The Best Place to Play” by leveraging the latest computing, streaming, cloud, and 5G technologies, together with excellent content.
    • As part of these efforts, Sony agreed to a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Microsoft Corp. (Microsoft) to collaborate on the development of cloud solutions, including game streaming services.

In the footage, we can see Spider-Man running on a PlayStation 4 Pro, as well as the upcoming new PlayStation system. Quickly loading the game world on the PS4 Pro results in pauses for the game to render everything, while the "PS5" that's running the same game has no major loading times. According to the press release, this is partly due to "a customized, ultra-fast broadband solid state drive".

We will harness the power of new technology to offer completely transformative and immersive gaming experiences We will leverage Backwards Compatibility to transition our community to Next Gen faster and more seamlessly than ever before We provide stability of environment for content creators

OAsvmOv.png

Additionally, an investor briefing goes into more detail, mentioning that the PlayStation 4 will still provide a "critical role" for around three more years, with major AAA games still arriving on the platform, like The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, and Ghosts of Tsushima, which will ensure success due to the massive amount of PS4 owners. Sony has lofty goals for their new hardware, specifying backwards compatibility, 3D audio, more powerful components, the ability to still use physical media, and even 8K.

:arrow: Source: PR
:arrow: Source: Briefing

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
IDGAF what you compare it to, a console isn't running 8K and/or ray-tracing without A: being ~$2000 at launch, or B: they're fucking lying and it's going to be 4K@30 FPS upscaled at best. I don't expect it to be as strong as my gaming PC, but that doesn't mean Sony needs to exaggerate. As I said, I think more people would be happy just to hear '1080p@60 FPS support' because that's all I want for features after both PS4 and PS4 Pro failed to deliver on it.

I didn't compare it to anything. If you wanted to take Sony's tech demo as an opportunity to brag about your rig, that's what you should have done in the beginning.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I didn't compare it to anything. If you wanted to take Sony's tech demo as an opportunity to brag about your rig, that's what you should have done in the beginning.
You said they were comparing it to PS4. I'm telling you that even with a PS4 game, they aren't actually achieving what the marketing people say they are. 'I don't expect PS5 to be as strong as my gaming PC' is hardly a brag, it's simply being realistic. PS5 won't be as strong as a lot of gaming PCs because the MSRP is capped according to console market standards.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: gameboy

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said, I think more people would be happy just to hear '1080p@60 FPS support' because that's all I want for features after both PS4 and PS4 Pro failed to deliver on it.
The PS4 Pro isn't consistently doing 1080p 60fps?

sony is as stupid as them companies selling the 8k tv's now. they both won't be able to do NOTHING 8k not for a long time!
Well, to be fair, TV makers did the same with 4K and it eventually caught on. Some people need to push the market and make things cheaper.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
As a member of the earth and society, Sony will continue to work to enhance its economic value while, at the same time, contributing to the environment and to society by creating social value through the business activities of the entire Sony Group.

Who writes these press releases?
Contributing to the environment? As member of earth and society, all I saw in that press release was contributing to your fiscal environment. Are you unwilling to mention just how much electronics pollutes the environment? Of course you are.

Contributing to society? How about an Airplane Mode and offering Offical Wired Controllers for those who don't want to depopulate their environment with years of microwave gaming (bluetooth and wifi)? We can do Airplane Mode (microwave-free gaming) on the PC and even the Switch (only in portable, non-TV mode). We lost that choice on the PlayStation 3 and later Xbox 360 consoles. Why? Because wireless is 'cool' and nobody in their right mind would prefer wired without constantly polling bluetooth in the background? You seem to be bragging about how great your next machine will be but you completely disregard choice and gamer health. As do your competitors.

https://ehtrust.org/science/peer-reviewed-research-studies-on-wi-fi/

The press releases on this website are provided for historical reference purposes only.
Please note that certain information may have changed since the date of release.

The 'save our butts' statements are extensive. Of course things will change. You love to hype your New Thing in the press for the Financial Mafia (primarily your largest shareholders).

The collaboration with NSA State Mafia member (and pervasive spyware player) Microsoft should be seen as a negative thing to any thinking person (just as it should for any spyware State Mafia player like Google and Apple). But it's all hopeless to debate this point to the masses who don't care, as it is definitely the case with so many in the Financial Mafia. Profiling and surveillance, detailed use histories and smooth download sales at any cost https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/...-disregards-user-choice-and-privacy-deep-dive https://www.ghacks.net/2016/02/08/windows-10-phones-home-even-after-privacy-hardening/

How reassuring to know that the disc (ie. physical media) is not dead yet.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSV= PS5 AND PSVITA. how confusing

theyre using a standard m.2 drive, you can buy a 500gb m2 drive for $50-$60. Its not impressive at all.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also theyre using a ryzen 3-5 which is way faster than the ghetto thing they had in it before. celeron or something

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if they are using m.2 I don't think they are using one with NVME support with like 2GB\s or above... they are most likely using something to be around 500MB\s max like any other Sata 3...

And they better use sata 3 than M.2 because to upgrade will most likely be a bitch, specially someone wanting to put something with really a lot of GB m.2 is always way more limiting as its a very little form factor (and if its a non NVME, then I don't even see the point in using m.2 because Sata 3 would be the same and better to upgrade than m.2)...

PS4 had crappy AMD Jaguar which 4 me is the same crap as Bulldozer which were never good on PC not even OC to 5ghz not to mention how much it has been downclocked on the consoles for something that already struggled at least in the PC world...

All I know is consoles quite a lot of years ago at least from Sony and M$ used to impress in their advanced hardware, PS4\Xone were a big disapointment, everyone was waiting for something with a beast CPU, high clocks and GPU power way above 2TF when Xone ended up with ~1.4 and PS4 with 1.8... The only thing that did not disappoint was the 8GB of fast GDDR5 on the PS4 for back then...

Xbox360 had a good GPU that kept going against PC pretty good, PS3 had a crazy CPU even though it had a crap GPU since it came way after the X360 it should have brought the boundaries way higher, but the CPU surely didnt disappoint for back then though its architecture sadly left the console in a way worse position than M$ in most multiplatforms for many years, M$ always had nice software support and nice SDK for the devs to work on while on PS3 many dev companies had to pay others to port to PS3 and I surely remember Bethesda had many problems for many years with the console...

Last edited by guily6669,

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, specs and load times. Helluva lot of information to release about their next gen game console without any mention of the games... should've left it at nothing.

I guess backwards compatibility is a good thing... well done for that.

Seems like they're peddling low end computers these days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?