Sony showcases loading times for their next generation hardware versus the PS4 Pro

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 21, 2019.

Front-page
    Ps4-Playstation-4-V2-Logo-Decal-Sticker__00068.1511152916.

The next generation of gaming isn't quite here yet, but we're starting to see glimpses of what will be, through teases and hinting. Today, we got another look at what Sony has up its sleeves, during a corporate strategy meeting. Takashi Mochizuki, a reporter for The Wall Street Journal attended the meeting, where he took video of Sony showcasing "immersive" and "seamless" loading for their next-gen successor to the PlayStation 4.

8GrtQJi.

In the footage, we can see Spider-Man running on a PlayStation 4 Pro, as well as the upcoming new PlayStation system. Quickly loading the game world on the PS4 Pro results in pauses for the game to render everything, while the "PS5" that's running the same game has no major loading times. According to the press release, this is partly due to "a customized, ultra-fast broadband solid state drive".

OAsvmOv.
    Additionally, an investor briefing goes into more detail, mentioning that the PlayStation 4 will still provide a "critical role" for around three more years, with major AAA games still arriving on the platform, like The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, and Ghosts of Tsushima, which will ensure success due to the massive amount of PS4 owners. Sony has lofty goals for their new hardware, specifying backwards compatibility, 3D audio, more powerful components, the ability to still use physical media, and even 8K.

:arrow: Source: PR
    :arrow: Source: Briefing

Discussion (130 replies)
  1. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Eh. 8k. Lmao. Sure. They like to throw stuff like 4k and 8k around, but we all know what's going to happen there

2. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    That's typically the bump you get from an HDD to an SSD, yeah. And everything sounds great so far except the '8K' and 'ray tracing.' Like gimme a fuckin' break, are they gonna stick an RTX 2080Ti in there? Is this going to be a $2000 console? Or are we talking 8K at 15 FPS, and ray-tracing at 30 FPS in 1080p?

gameboy, Peloisan, Karones and 12 others like this.
  3. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    In the little screenshot that says "what we have not spoken about: price"

All I should think back to was "PlayStation 3! 599 US Dollars!"

Karones, gnmmarechal, AboodXD and 9 others like this.
  4. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    8K*

*Checkerboard rendering upscaled from 1800p

Considering the most powerful graphics cards available can barely do 1080p at 60fps with ray tracing enabled on PC, looks like it will be more false promises, or another generation of cinematic experiences.

5. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Old Tech: Utter Shit
    New Tech: Ultra Fast - Will Last Forever

Old Tech: Utter Shit
    New Tech: Ultra Fast - Will Last Forever

Just wait until real world developers get their hands on it. :)

6. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    "Ultra-fast, broadband SSD" makes them sound very clueless. idk if a "broadband SSD" exists, but this is the first I've heard of it.

Peloisan likes this.
  7. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N knows nothing

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Wow, they're using an SSD. On a console.

Snark aside, at least with the migration of everything to the AMD64 architecture, backwards compatibility with the PS4 probably isn't going to be too much of an issue. It'd be cool if this thing was actually powerful enough to emulate the PS3 and offer a sort of backwards compatibility, kinda like what Microsoft's doing with the Xbox, but without the need to re-compile every game.

8. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    Probably just means "very high bandwidth", so possibly NVMe, although considering it's from the people who brought us the Vita with its $120 32GB cards I wouldn't put outside the realm of possibility that it will be proprietary, or even soldered to the unit.

Silent_Gunner and Xabring like this.
  9. GBADWB

GBADWB Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 12, 2016
    United States

it theoretically should, given the pc equivalent of the hardware could run games on rpcs3, and if it's being made in house, sony(hopefully) has more documentation that a normal emulator dev won't have for emulation development. It assumes they at least put more work into it unlike the playstation classic.

10. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    Except that when you put an SSD into a PS4, you don't see that dramatic of a "bump" (10x). The implication is that the entire build is catering to the potential of SSD.

DarthDub likes this.
  11. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I just wonder how big this SSD is going to be.
    I'd be surprised if it is more than $500.

12. samcambolt270

samcambolt270 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    Of course your load times increased, you stuck an ssd in there! they aren't seriously thinking we're gonna get hyped up at the power of the system over the fact that they changed the hard drive, right?

13. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    Try responding to the points expressed instead of just being another parrot.

osaka35 likes this.
  14. samcambolt270

samcambolt270 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    How exactly am I a parrot? I didn't read through a dozen comments and see the one comment that happened to mention an ssd and then copy it to make my comment.

DarkIrata likes this.
  15. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    Well, they finally are taking the slowest part of the chain as a "next gen" huh?
    I guess the SSD tech wasn't cheap enough back then. All right.

16. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Ray tracing doesn't mean they are tracing the entire scene. Some dev already showed off some car game using ray tracing to enhance the shine on the cars on "next gen consoles" i.e. Navi. They throw it around like a buzz word here but its just going to be some minor effects on some games this gen, not an attempt at global pathtracing illumination or something, or watching explosions reflected in all the puddles in the scene.

osaka35 likes this.
  17. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    it's only as fast as the weakest link. the hdd is not the weakest link in the ps4. a ssd doesn't improve the ps4 much at all. in order to get these speeds, a lot of hardware had to be upgraded.

we already know this, cutting edge amd cpu, gpu, and probably nvme ssd speeds. good stuff. good stuff

personally, I'm hoping it ties back to that fancy sound they keep talking about. ray tracing can be used to trace things like sound propagation and ai ability to see/hear you, or so I've read. it's neat stuff, but haven't looked too deep down the rabbit hole.

Last edited by osaka35, May 21, 2019
    Xabring and tabzer like this.
  18. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    8k in silky smooth slide show fps

YuseiFD likes this.
  19. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia