Sony says no 3D PSP anytime soon, questions Nintendo 3DS announcement.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
OP
Trophies
XP
pspgo-white.jpg

With the Nintendo 3DS announcement generating a lot of buzz today in the interwebs, a lot of people are expecting Sony to fireback with the announcement of their own. Well they didn't, but they have a lot to say with the Big N's surprise revelation. Speaking with IGN, SCEA's Director of Hardware and Marketing John Koller has said that fans should not expect a 3D PSP anytime soon:

QUOTE said:
Our focus on 3D right now is on the console. There's a tremendous amount of opportunity on PlayStation 3 with 3D. The amount of interest in 3D from the retail side and game publishers is off the charts. We know we have a hit with 3D on PS3 and we're going to concentrate our efforts there.

I think it remains to be seen where Nintendo goes with 3D on a portable. Having been in the portable space for quite awhile, I think it's an interesting move but one I'd like to see where they go from a demographic standpoint. 8 and 9 year olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now.

Source

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Also, getting into 3-D console gaming so early might be a mistake. It's going to rely on people having the new special TVs, and those will be expensive as hell for quite a while to come... not to mention that the first couple generations will probably look like ass.

Prime_Zero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes any time soon... because like with the Wii mote they have to wait for it to come out so they can buy it take it apart and make one of there own.
huh.gif

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
fgghjjkll said:
With the Nintendo Wii announcement generating a lot of buzz today in the interwebs, a lot of people are expecting Sony to fireback with the announcement of their own. Well they didn't, but they have a lot to say with the Big N's surprise revelation. Speaking with IGN, SCEA's Director of Hardware and Marketing John Koller has said that fans should not expect a Motion controlled PS3 anytime soon:

QUOTE said:
Our focus on gaming right now is on traditional gamepads. There's a tremendous amount of opportunity on PlayStation 3 with traditional gamepads. The amount of interest in traditional gamepads from the retail side and game publishers is off the charts. We know we have a hit with traditional gamepads on PS3 and we're going to concentrate our efforts there.

I think it remains to be seen where Nintendo goes with Motion controls on the PS3. Having been in the home console space for quite awhile, I think it's an interesting move but one I'd like to see where they go from a demographic standpoint. 50 and 60 year olds playing Motion controlled games is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
man sony all they can do these days is run their fucking mouth
our (stolen) motion controls are better
are psp will be better
3d is better with glasses and in HD

WHO GIVES A FUCK!
rolleyes.gif

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
TM2-Megatron said:
Also, getting into 3-D console gaming so early might be a mistake. It's going to rely on people having the new special TVs, and those will be expensive as hell for quite a while to come... not to mention that the first couple generations will probably look like ass.
I agree, it makes more sense on a handheld. That said, I'm glad the PS3 will support it soon. A few years ago, no one had an HDTV either. It's only a matter of time before 3D TVs become affordable. Having a game console, games and movies that support it only makes it more interesting.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Maikel Steneker said:
TM2-Megatron said:
I agree, it makes more sense on a handheld. That said, I'm glad the PS3 will support it soon. A few years ago, no one had an HDTV either. It's only a matter of time before 3D TVs become affordable. Having a game console, games and movies that support it only makes it more interesting.

3d tv is standard in 4 years!

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
CrimzonEyed said:
Maikel Steneker said:
TM2-Megatron said:

3d tv is standard in 4 years!

Is that a statement of fact... a sarcastic retort... or something else?

3DTV will not be the standard in 4 years. A lot of people haven't even bought into HDTV yet, and all those people who have bought HDTVs might not want to go out and spend yet another $5000 on a new TV technology that probably won't even look that good for at least 1.5 to 2 years. It's easy for a 19 year-old to say something like this... what exactly do you pay for all by yourself? The reality is only suckers are going to buy 3DTVs in the first year after they're introduced. As I said, the first (and probably second) generation of this technology is going to look like crap.

Personally I'm waiting until 3DTV has matured a little bit before buying into it. I did the same with HDTV, and ended up with a vastly superior set to those people who bought early and ended up with inferior junk.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
man sony all they can do these days is run their fucking mouth
our (stolen) motion controls are better
are psp will be better
3d is better with glasses and in HD

WHO GIVES A FUCK!
rolleyes.gif

Abso-freaking-lutely.

Seriously Sony, shut the fuck up already.

This trash talk is nothing but fear. They know the Apple monster is moving in. And although Apple will effect Nintendo, they'll hurt Sony a lot more.

Sony also knows that Nintendo has one upped them once again.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tbh, portable 3d isn't something we need yet. people aren't even enjoying it at home yet. sony are doing alright by introducing their ps3 as a medium for it at home, right now its just a matter of pricing of 3dtv's.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Uh huh. Let me know how your prediction of the DS's failure went too, Sony.

QUOTE said:
Sony's Phil Harrison:
With the DS, it’s fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen.
But I fear that it won’t have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick – so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
They're busy making a 4D PSP

Because sony does what nintencan't.
Have they no shame? Not satisfied with badmouthing Nintendo and ripping THEM off, now they've stolen Dr Emmett L Brown's technology! What next? Ripping off Jesus by making a PSP to bring back the dead and die for our sins?
rofl2.gif

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Uh huh. Let me know how your prediction of the DS's failure went too, Sony.

QUOTE said:
Sony's Phil Harrison:
With the DS, it’s fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen.
But I fear that it won’t have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick – so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that
That's actually remarkably accurate. The DS is woefully underpowered, and that's had a detrimental effect. Slowdown in DS games is pretty common. It's amazing how much gamers will put up with in that sense.

And only a handful of games ever utilized the touchscreen in a meaningful or innovative way. The World Ends With You, Elite Beat Agents, and Zelda come to mind. Everything else includes touchscreen controls where they are inappropriate or unnecessary as a token feature because Nintendo _requires_ all developers to implement them in some way.

Claiming that this negates the long term appeal was an exaggeration, but it does seem that the DS accomplished everything possible within the first couple years and afterward has consisted of variations on those themes, or periods like the last year where there simply was very little of interest or merit.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Cermage said:
tbh, portable 3d isn't something we need yet. people aren't even enjoying it at home yet. sony are doing alright by introducing their ps3 as a medium for it at home, right now its just a matter of pricing of 3dtv's.

Thats the thing though. Remember those 3D Eye books that were all the rage back then? Those books sold like hotcakes. Now, would you want the same thing on a TV screen? What if I told you that you had to use special glasses? DO NOT WANT you say?

Well thats the same premise Nintendo is using. Portable 3D just makes a hell of a lot more sense than 3D at home.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1