Sony reveals details about its next home console

ps logo.PNG
It's no surprise that the next generation of consoles is upon us. But when exactly, we can't say for sure. For Sony, its PlayStation 5 is not going to be retailed this year. Speaking to Wired, Sony's Mark Cerny, the lead system architect for the PS4, provided some juicy details regarding the company's much awaited console, but also noted that their "next-gen console won’t be landing in stores anytime in 2019".

Release date aside, Cerny provided more details regarding the specs of the device. As expected, the latter will boast a better CPU and GPU. More specifically, the home console will pack a CPU based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line with eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture, and for its GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, with ray tracing support will be embedded.

Cerny notes that the ray tracing technology will have more use than just improving on the visual aspect on this 8K-compatible device. “If you wanted to run tests to see if the player can hear certain audio sources or if the enemies can hear the players’ footsteps, ray tracing is useful for that,” he says. “It's all the same thing as taking a ray through the environment.”

More than just focusing on the visuals, Sony is also laying emphasis on the audio, stating that the AMD chip also packs a custom unit for 3D audio. “As a gamer,” Cerny says, “it's been a little bit of a frustration that audio did not change too much between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. With the next console the dream is to show how dramatically different the audio experience can be when we apply significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it.”

Of note, the PlayStation 5 will also come with a solid state drive (SSD) which will drastically improve in-game load times. During the interview, Wired had a glimpse of this when Cerny compared fast travel in 2018's Spider-Man between a PS4 Pro and a PS5 dev-kit: it took 15 seconds on the PS4 Pro while it a mere 0.8 seconds on the PS5.

Wait, that's all cool but Spider-Man is getting a re-release on the PS5?! Not quite. According to the interview, this next-gen PlayStation will be partly based on the PS4’s architecture, and will also be backward-compatible with PS4 games. Also compatible with the PS5 will be the current PSVR headset. Moreover, the next generation of PlayStation-branded console will still support physical media instead of being a download-only device.

So what do you think of the next PlayStation so far? Which features do you wish it to support and do you think Sony will implement them?

:arrow: SOURCE

warweeny

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I now believe without a single doubt that the PS5 is going to be released in 2020.

Well DUH, def kits were around 2017/2018 already lol.
It has been known for literal years that the ps5 did not come 2019..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

physical media will live for another decade at least thank god, and backwards compatibility needs to be native not like xbox where your disc is basically a drm key and then you need to download the entire game, so no internet no backward compatibility on xbox, i want native backwards compat, and it would be amazing if sony released a premium version which would run all discs backwards compat ps1,ps2,ps3,ps4, i would pay an extra 100$ just for this.

an extra 100 for technology that goes well over 400? dream on.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
That's just consumer pricing. Sony's obviously not actually going to spend $100-$150 per SSD, they'll partner with some flash chip manufacturer and buy in bulk and get them for peanuts. Sure it'll still be more expensive than HDDs, but it's not going to be a major price concern for Sony.

Pricing will be a concern for Sony, especially when they're planning to take a hit on each consoles sale if one rumor is true.

Even with a special deal, I doubt it will be any less than 2-3 times the price of an equivalent HDD, unless there's some other factor e.g. binned chips (the original Xbox did this for RAM AFAIK). The latter is already done with flash storage for at least capacity and they'll likely expect more reads than writes.

D

Deleted_413010

Ps5 has to have backwards compatibility with ps4 games, there is no way around it. Ps5 is basically just an upgraded ps4. Same architecture. There has been no technology advancement in storage medium since the ps4, which means ps5 will use bluray just like the ps4. Ps5 will not have the power to emulate ps3, which means the only way the ps5 will play ps3 games is if Sony puts the ps3 chipset on board, which I suspect is the real reason the ps5 will launch at a higher price than ps4.

Good to know

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well DUH, def kits were around 2017/2018 already lol.
It has been known for literal years that the ps5 did not come 2019..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

an extra 100 for technology that goes well over 400? dream on.
premium versions do exist for everything :P

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I know it's important for marketing but I couldn't care less if it's powerful or not as long as it's above a certain threshold. My favorite games this generation are games without cutting edge graphics so I learned not to give it much importance.

Reactions: ipkryss

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's important for marketing but I couldn't care less if it's powerful or not as long as it's above a certain threshold. My favorite games this generation are games without cutting edge graphics so I learned not to give it much importance.
You should care end of the day you should want best of both worlds

Reactions: guisadop

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds very promising so far, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for backwards compatibility for disks from all of Sony's previous home consoles (...and an unrealistic wishlist hope for it to also include a UMD drive and Vita cart slot).

They should also a MiniDisc slot, VHS, BetaMax and a cassette player to ensure backwards compatibility with every other Sony product that used physical media. And while they are at it the might as well add a SNES cartridge slot for compatibility with the original Playstation/SNES hybrid......

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They should also a MiniDisc slot, VHS, BetaMax and a cassette player to ensure backwards compatibility with every other Sony product that used physical media. And while they are at it the might as well add a SNES cartridge slot for compatibility with the original Playstation/SNES hybrid......
well while those would cost money they already have a disc drive so they could make it compatible with ps1,ps2,ps3,music cds and such without adding much to the cost.

i would love for umd disc compat too but i know it wont happen, maybe a retron console in like 10 years :P

Adam512

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
It's no surprise that the next generation of consoles is upon us. But when exactly, we can't say for sure. For Sony, its PlayStation 5 is not going to be retailed this year. Speaking to Wired, Sony's Mark Cerny, the lead system architect for the PS4, provided some juicy details regarding the company's much awaited console, but also noted that their "next-gen console won’t be landing in stores anytime in 2019".
:arrow: SOURCE

How about creating PS5 threads in this forum? Or do you want to leave it for 5 years?

Thank you for creating a new PS5 section, which will certainly be the best and greatest.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am still waiting for the PS4 to make me happy... oh well.

Wake me up when some games appear.
I can name over 50 but can't be arsed to type them all go start with dying light-or just admit it if Yr a sony hater

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i think the backwards compatibility is actually a significant feature as it means devs will have a harder time justifying just dumping a ton of last-gen ports like what happened with the XB1 and PS5, also happy to hear its going to still use physical media, not looking forwards to the time where you pay full price for games and immediately loose all resale value

all the rest is kinda meh, pretty much what most people would be expecting (once you accept that a lot of the details will be a sales pitch and 8K will probably be limited to media playback or a limited selection of games etc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.