Sony reveals details about its next home console

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Apr 16, 2019 at 2:31 PM.

Front-page
    ps logo.PNG
    It's no surprise that the next generation of consoles is upon us. But when exactly, we can't say for sure. For Sony, its PlayStation 5 is not going to be retailed this year. Speaking to Wired, Sony's Mark Cerny, the lead system architect for the PS4, provided some juicy details regarding the company's much awaited console, but also noted that their "next-gen console won’t be landing in stores anytime in 2019".

Release date aside, Cerny provided more details regarding the specs of the device. As expected, the latter will boast a better CPU and GPU. More specifically, the home console will pack a CPU based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line with eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture, and for its GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, with ray tracing support will be embedded.

Cerny notes that the ray tracing technology will have more use than just improving on the visual aspect on this 8K-compatible device. “If you wanted to run tests to see if the player can hear certain audio sources or if the enemies can hear the players’ footsteps, ray tracing is useful for that,” he says. “It's all the same thing as taking a ray through the environment.”

More than just focusing on the visuals, Sony is also laying emphasis on the audio, stating that the AMD chip also packs a custom unit for 3D audio. “As a gamer,” Cerny says, “it's been a little bit of a frustration that audio did not change too much between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. With the next console the dream is to show how dramatically different the audio experience can be when we apply significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it.”

Of note, the PlayStation 5 will also come with a solid state drive (SSD) which will drastically improve in-game load times. During the interview, Wired had a glimpse of this when Cerny compared fast travel in 2018's Spider-Man between a PS4 Pro and a PS5 dev-kit: it took 15 seconds on the PS4 Pro while it a mere 0.8 seconds on the PS5.

Wait, that's all cool but Spider-Man is getting a re-release on the PS5?! Not quite. According to the interview, this next-gen PlayStation will be partly based on the PS4’s architecture, and will also be backward-compatible with PS4 games. Also compatible with the PS5 will be the current PSVR headset. Moreover, the next generation of PlayStation-branded console will still support physical media instead of being a download-only device.

So what do you think of the next PlayStation so far? Which features do you wish it to support and do you think Sony will implement them?

:arrow: SOURCE

MateoSebasBV, T-hug, osaka35 and 22 others like this.
    Discussion (119 replies)
  1. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    I now believe without a single doubt that the PS5 is going to be released in 2020.
    If they share information about it right now, this could only mean that the development kit has been released to other companies and developers, and they might show tech demos and graphic demonstrations near the end of 2019.

Karones, matpower, KingVamp and 12 others like this.
  2. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Maybe they'll provide real games this time, not misapprehensions like ughcharted

codezer0, Y0shII and CoolStarDood like this.
  3. ombus

ombus GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    If a release in 2020 is happening then the chances to see/hear something at e3 increases.

DarkWolf658 and x65943 like this.
  4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Neat. Sounds nice, but I'll wait until the official announcement before really deciding how I feel.

5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Still can't get backwards compatibility for ps3-ps2-ps1? :blink:

I hope it can least play audio cd and install music to the system. :ninja:

All that sounds nice and all but still, if the games aren't fun, then it's worthless by itself, not to mention censorship still going to impact games under a certain degree. :nayps3:

6. Wrathcaster

Wrathcaster GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2018
    United Kingdom
    An ssd and backwards compatibility. *Rubs hands*

7. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    Sounds very promising so far, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for backwards compatability for disks from all of Sony's previous home consoles (...and an unrealistic wishlist hope for it to also include a UMD drive and Vita cart slot).

8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Having support for HD vita/psp games sounds like a good idea. If only Nintendo made a HD 3DS/NDS system or accessory to continue their "Gameboy player" trend. :ninja:

CoolStarDood likes this.
  9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    holy shit playstation is going ryzen! gonna be epic
    they made the right choice

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Apr 16, 2019 at 3:01 PM
    Ita54_2 and CoolStarDood like this.
  10. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Well this news might make me buy a ps5. Def more interested after hearing this

11. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Hopefully Sony don't find some way to balls it up as this does make me hopeful.

I find that hard to believe, at least on retail units unless they are going for a premium price or it's going to be relatively small.

Maybe an SSHDD or some other kind of smaller cache drive included.

Thank ****, I hope they add UHD support though.

DarkWolf658 likes this.
  12. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    They are too focused on running the “newer and better” games... :sleep:

Also can we get the XMB menu back.... that was such a good home menu. It could probably use a revamp but still :D

Last edited by Owenge, Apr 16, 2019 at 3:04 PM
  13. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Missy

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Sony are not attending E3 this year but doesn't mean they won't announce something at a similar time.

14. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    SSDs have gotten significantly cheaper the last couple years, even a 1TB SATA SSD can be had for anywhere from $100-$150 for consumers nowadays vs the hundreds it would've cost during the PS4's release. It's not that far fetched that Sony could secure high capacity SSDs for cheap in 2019.

zfreeman likes this.
  15. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

Sep 1, 2015
    United States
    I like what i read here, especially the fact that it wont be a download console only, plus the ps4 compatibility ofc.

DarkWolf658 likes this.
  16. fadx

fadx Filthy Cheater

Sep 15, 2016
    United Kingdom
    "8K compatible device" hahaha fuck off, definately not intending to mislead people into thinking it's gonna run games at 8K.

17. RPG_FAN128

RPG_FAN128 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2018
    United States
    Geez, NOW this one is going to be BWC with PS4 games? I should have held off just a bit longer and bought the PS5 instead.

18. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    physical media will live for another decade at least thank god, and backwards compatibility needs to be native not like xbox where your disc is basically a drm key and then you need to download the entire game, so no internet no backward compatibility on xbox, i want native backwards compat, and it would be amazing if sony released a premium version which would run all discs backwards compat ps1,ps2,ps3,ps4, i would pay an extra 100$ just for this.

19. warmo161

warmo161 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2011
    United Kingdom
    A house

I dont think sony will use a SSHDD hybrid drive, there are reports about reliability, my guess is a M.2 sized SSD and a usual HDD, and even going to a stretch, games be designed with critical data on one drive and everything else on the HDD, but then companies may exploit that feature... (Black ops 4 is a nighmare with HDD usage)