Sony reportedly discontinues all PS4 Pro and most PS4 Slim models production in Japan

ps4 pro.jpg

Now that a new generation of consoles has arrived, the old ones have to make way and Sony is apparently fast-tracking this process. As reported by Japanese publication GameWatch, production of "most of the PS4 Slim (CUH-2000 series) and all PS4 Pro (CUH-7000 series) models" has been discontinued in Japan. The only model that will still be produced is the standard PS4 Jet Black 500GB Slim model. This can be seen from the Japanese PlayStation website where only the PS4 Slim can be seen under the "Main Unit Lineup", even if both Slim and Pro models show up on the PS4 page (however, I could not get the link to the "Main Unit Lineup" to work myself).

The GameWatch report notes that this discontinuation will allow the company to focus on the production of PS5 units which experienced shortages. This discontinuation news apparently applies only to Japan for now, with no news regarding whether western markets will follow suit.

:arrow: SOURCE

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
thank goodness I already sold my ps4 slim last month
wouldn't you want to keep something, if it will soon become hard to find (or, hard to find new - always nice to not have to resort to second hand stuff)

Big tech companies love that idea - "oh iPhone 11 is old now, quickly trade it in and get iPhone 12"

PS4 has exploits, no idea when PS5 will get any.

Last edited by cearp,

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
wouldn't you want to keep something, if it will soon become hard to find (or, hard to find new - always nice to not have to resort to second hand stuff)

Big tech companies love that idea - "oh iPhone 11 is old now, quickly trade it in and get iPhone 12"

PS4 has exploits, no idea when PS5 will get any.
not really, every game machine will devalue by time. I can always buy them in the future with a cheaper price if I want. However, it's almost guaranteed that PS4 will lose in value during the end of PS5 cycle.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no problem with them doing this but they need to push production to ensure there are ample PS5 stock to go around.

D

Deleted User

Personally, I look forward to being able to get the PlayStation 5 officially in my neck of the woods, without the added import nor scalper taxes; I can wait and I believe everything has its time.

Hopefully by then more of the 2021 Game Lineup will have already made their way to market, but if not then I'll still enjoy playing the backlog of PS4 Games, especially since most have shown to be running at buttery-smooth 60FPS.

That itself is enough for me at this point, no need for them to have added value PS5 RayTracing nor higher resolution textures embedded into their games; I'm not looking for Easter Egg features, just the normal speed boost a new Generation should have on older titles verbatim.

RyRyIV

Primitive Screwhead
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Kind of wild that they’re effectively killing the PS4 so early into the PS5’s launch. But hey, with all the press surrounding difficulty getting a PS5, it’s not hard to see why they’re confident.

Reactions: Deleted User

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I take this as a sign Sony is really feeling the pressure from Microsoft and wants to force people onto next gen.

Perhaps they're planning to introduce a cut down system, similar to the Series S (hence dropping the Pro too). It's strange they're dropping the PS4 production so soon, PS5 profits are insane though, cheap to produce for the hardware it has, it'll grow much cheaper very quickly too, just current restrictions hampering it.

PS5 is immense in size (I thought the Series X was big), they probs don't want people standing the PS5 next to a slim and making it look even taller lol

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh boy time to scower the market to find scalpers selling them at 10x the price
worst part is, my mom was thinking to upgrade the PS3 into a PS4. while this could mean nothing, it could also mean the discontinuation of most ps4s

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I take this as a sign Sony is really feeling the pressure from Microsoft and wants to force people onto next gen.

Or it could be that since is Japan, the Pro has not been selling well.

Notice that the PS4 Pro is still available in the rest of the World.

Last edited by raxadian,

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An old console that goes on extended life support as soon as a new one is released is one that will take time dying off, especially if popular. PS4 has done better than PS3, so I expect that its end will not be for a while, yet. Maybe 5 years (should the world last so long!).

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or it could be that since is Japan, the Pro has not been selling well.

Notice that the PS4 Oro is still available in the rest of the World.

For now....

Also, they discontinued production of the PS4 Slim, a product I'd expect would sell well in Japan.

The PS4 Pro is one of the hottest running consoles I came accross, even more than the PS3.

There could be several reasons, likely combined which resulted in them making thos decision.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
not really, every game machine will devalue by time. I can always buy them in the future with a cheaper price if I want. However, it's almost guaranteed that PS4 will lose in value during the end of PS5 cycle.
Ok but it's a games console, not an investment opportunity...!
If you want to buy and sell things, why not pick gold or btc or something.

But if you just want to play the latest games, don't care about hacks etc, ok I understand - you might as well sell your PS4 whilst it is still 'relevant' and desirable but...
I bought a new ps tv/vita tv when they were not so popular and only around $40, now they go for like x4 the price, used!
If I were to sell it I'd make money, but I'd only do that on the assumption that I'd never want to buy it again in the future (without spending a lot of $)

Last edited by cearp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: uoiea