Sony releases official PS5 teardown video

ps5 teardown.JPG

While Microsoft has provided some select outlets with the actual Xbox Series X hardware, Sony's PlayStation 5 has yet to be seen up close by the public. The console maker changed this narrative today by releasing an official teardown video of its next-gen console, giving us the closest (and deepest) look at the hardware so far.

The 7-minute video is in Japanese but is without English subtitles at the time of writing. However, it does feature English annotations of some parts of the console as the teardown proceeds such as an elaborate cooling system and an SSD expansion bay. You can watch the video showcasing the PS5's internals below:

Sony also published an accompanying blog post explaining how the PS5's internal structure was designed to look "neat and tidy" and did not include any unnecessary components. The post also mentions how the PS5 was conceptualized back in 2015 and spent the next 5 years designing and developing the console.

:arrow: SOURCE

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
nope it still hasn't happened the 3080 and 3090 are more powerful

did you see the tiny motherboard in there? at least 60-70% of the space is taken by the heatsink

I never talked about power, I talked about release date... RDNA2 is not out, and probably will ont be out on mid november, they're going to be announced on 28 of october IIRC.

Good luck cooling a 3090 on the space of a PS5 or also keep the console price around 500$ with a 3080 or 3090 tho...

Reactions: Acid_Snake

Virtual-Wii-noob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never talked about power, I talked about release date... RDNA2 is not out, and probably will ont be out on mid november, they're going to be announced on 28 of october IIRC.

Good luck cooling a 3090 on the space of a PS5 or also keep the console price around 500$ with a 3080 or 3090 tho...
ah sorry i misunderstood what you meant. i thought you mean that console will be more powerful than any consumer pc. i am not full pc-master race and can't afford either of them anyways lmao.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
ah sorry i misunderstood what you meant. i thought you mean that console will be more powerful than any consumer pc. i am not full pc-master race and can't afford either of them anyways lmao.
Yeah NP :)

Sony pretty much surfed on that on almost every way, everytime they had the chance to talk about the GPU, it felt like they where shouting "WE HAVE THE NEW AMD ARCHITECTURE COMING FOR THE PS5, BEHOLD OUR EXCLUSIVE DEAL TO RELEASE A GPU BEFORE ITS EVEN RELEASED" lol.

Reactions: Virtual-Wii-noob

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Why should someone teardown a PS 5 (or Xbox X) when you loose your Warranty...
Ah....maybe for Cleaning the two "Dust Catchers".....that leads not to a Warranty Problem I think.vain.gif

The (already) predictable,maybe most frequently mentioned Reason for a PS 5 (and of course for the Xbox X) Defect:

DBOO
(Death because of Overheating)

icecream.gif

Last edited by Alexander1970,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Why should someone teardown a PS 5 (or Xbox X) when you loose your Warranty...
Ah....maybe for Cleaning the two "Dust Catchers".....that leads not to a Warranty Problem I think.View attachment 227484

The (already) predictable,maybe most frequently mentioned Reason for a PS 5 (and of course for the Xbox X) Defect:

DBOO
(Death because of Overheating)

View attachment 227483
You don't lose your warranty for taking apart your console, you only lose it if you damage your console when you take it apart. It's actually illegal, in the US anyways, for those "warranty void if removed" stickers to be used on electronics.

Or, at least, that's how it is for Sony's consoles in the US. I think Nintendo implemented the same thing as well, years ago when the FTC called the console makers out.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
You don't lose your warranty for taking apart your console, you only lose it if you damage your console when you take it apart. It's actually illegal, in the US anyways, for those "warranty void if removed" stickers to be used on electronics.

Or, at least, that's how it is for Sony's consoles in the US. I think Nintendo implemented the same thing as well, years ago when the FTC called the console makers out.

I remember me lively on SONY PS 2/PS 3/PSP "Warranty Cases"...(Europe)
If the Sticker was Removed,SONY sent it back without "taking a Look" on it.vain.gif

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was only able to preorder the controller and the charging stand for the ps5 did not score a ps5 and gonna have to hold out tell they are instock and not being sold really high I refuse to pay that much for a system when I can hold out save my money and when I get it that means that is more games I can buy for it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I remember me lively on SONY PS 2/PS 3/PSP "Warranty Cases"...(Europe)
If the Sticker was Removed,SONY sent it back without "taking a Look" on it.View attachment 227485
I took apart a new 3ds xl that was broke could not fix it did not even hook the ribben cables back in sent it to nintendo to be fixed for free and they replaced the parts sent it back working so ya as long as you did not cause the damage and they can tell it was not you taking it apart that caused it then you are in the clear. If i remember the switch does not have the warranty stickers on it at all.

Reactions: Alexander1970

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
That's awesome! I know 825 GB SSD is still not enough. Small storage built on PS5 motherboard should be address to fix problem soon by Sony. I wait for 2 TB version of PS5 console in next few years. Then I can add 8 TB SSD in slot to expend storage for most games. :)

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's awesome! I know 825 GB SSD is still not enough. Small storage built on PS5 motherboard should be address to fix problem soon by Sony. I wait for 2 TB version of PS5 console in next few years. Then I can add 8 TB SSD in slot to expend storage for most games. :)
what? there is a m.2 slot you can expend storage on this one with it but I think 4tb is the highest you can get on a m.2 right now if you need 8tb buy a usb hard drive.
seems like a lot of people did not watch the video 100%.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi leerpsp.

That's m.2 slot there on PS5 motherboard. I know that. Because PS5 games would be much bigger to take a lot of space than PS4. Don't worry about it. I would use Western Digital hard drive / SSD external for both PS4 and PS5 games. ;)

I already watch video and I'm in interested to know more info about hardware. :yay:

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I love the NVMe slot, plenty of space there for a heatsink too. It's smart to keep the system fairly modular and simple, to maximize profits.

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Y'know, I've always resented Sony for how many of their consoles I had to repair for the exact same issues while working at a game shop.. But I can really respect this move. It's not common a console manufacturer will literally show you what's inside of their console willingly.

However, I still think the PS5 looks gross, huge, and kinda cheapy. Oh well.

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's concerning to see the NAND chips soldered onto the motherboard. The expected lifespan is 3-5 years on those before they fail. If it's not possible to install the PS5 OS on the user replaceable NVMe drive, PS5 systems will become expensive paperweights within a few years of use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay