Sony releases official PS5 teardown video

ps5 teardown.JPG

While Microsoft has provided some select outlets with the actual Xbox Series X hardware, Sony's PlayStation 5 has yet to be seen up close by the public. The console maker changed this narrative today by releasing an official teardown video of its next-gen console, giving us the closest (and deepest) look at the hardware so far.

The 7-minute video is in Japanese but is without English subtitles at the time of writing. However, it does feature English annotations of some parts of the console as the teardown proceeds such as an elaborate cooling system and an SSD expansion bay. You can watch the video showcasing the PS5's internals below:

Sony also published an accompanying blog post explaining how the PS5's internal structure was designed to look "neat and tidy" and did not include any unnecessary components. The post also mentions how the PS5 was conceptualized back in 2015 and spent the next 5 years designing and developing the console.

:arrow: SOURCE

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The fact that you can expand SSD storage without having to buy extortionately priced proprietary cards is a huge advantage. But that's nothing new for Xbox vs Playstation.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

The generation of big game enjoyment harware. XBOX and PlayStation are now competing for livingroom space. We should charge for rental. Those things are enourmous. Those things are friggin' huge.

Guess no one can say now "Mine is bigger than yours!"
Will they even fit?! "Wii Fit", they'll say.
PS5 and XSX, especially XSX looks rather too big and no matter whether vertical or horizontal it's not going to look presentable.

Xbox-Series-X-3-1024x576.png

Better just think of it as a Mini PC than a console.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome and totally unexpected. Very cool of Sony to do this.

Now we need the hacking community to prepare a day-1 exploit using nothing but the information gained from this teardown!

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like an amazing bit of engineering. That heatsink and fan are fucking massive lol. Have they told us how much it weighs yet?

Great to see they haven't gone the Vita route of proprietary storage and that it supports standard M2 NVME drives (though only those that meet the minimum speed requirement I think?)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Well that's neat, I quite like teardown videos like this so it's cool to see Sony publishing one of their own. Looks quite easy to repair if something goes wrong, which is definitely a plus.

Nice to see the NVMe is super easy to access, glad they're still keeping up with easily accessible internal storage.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, bull.

What they don't tell you is that there's probably some sensor to ensure your console is banned the moment it's opened, to either be flagged for it the next time it connects or something equally shady. Considering sony's history with blatant lies, do not discount them from thinking they could get away with such a thing.

Wow, literally in the first seconds it says even opening the console will void your warranty. Goes to show how much they don't care about right to repair. :nayps3:

Last edited by codezer0,
Reactions: DarthDub

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Space distribution:
20% of it is the power source, 50% is the heat sink. 20% is plastic, 10% is the actual console.
Crazy.

I bet they could make it 40-50% smaller just by doing watercooling instead of pure air cooling.

Reactions: Payne

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's because they wanted to give gamers a "PC experience" lol

I think so too. I don't mind, thought! :)

That's coming later called PS5 Pro and Xbox Series X Elite or something.

You just know it's gonna happen.

Yeah, I know that and they are always after money for unnecessary things. I am not getting the pro anyway but I am getting it instead.

Reactions: HideoKojima

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: