Sony releases new PS5 revision with smaller heatsink

new-ps5-model_1_800x800.jpg

Last month, Sony quietly released a new revision of the PS5 that weighs about 300 grams less than the original model. Why, you ask? Because the new refreshed model has a smaller heatsink, that gives less cooling performance, but there's more to it than just that.

The new PS5 model was tested first by YouTuber Austin Evans in a YouTube video, the temperature test showed that the new PS5 was ~3-5°C hotter than the old model, and concluded that the new heatsink is a sort of a downgrade. The video generated some controversy mainly because he used his phone to measure out the temperatures, and the lack of proper testing.

Now more testing has been done by two more channels, HarwareBusters and GamerNexus. The combined result from both shows that the new PS5 is actually an improvement; the CPU, APU, VRM & memory all run cooler than the old PS5, with 6 to 20°C difference between the two.

Much more detailed explanations are on the YT videos below.

upload_2021-9-22_4-21-32.png

:arrow: Source

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I just noted that the fans are the exact same model. I agree with your comment to some degree. But the point here is that they are testing the whlle system and not just the heatsink. If the heatsink is smaller but the pcb is better then there should be no issue for users. Of course silicon lottery still applies. But I am not going to nitpick on small details like that because those are still within the manufacturing variances. As Aris said the sample size is too small to draw any useful conclusion.

In my opinion, both tests are flawed because of the sample size. Additionally, GN said their original model might not be representative because they reapplied the liquid metal.

I am not really sure regarding testing on different ambient temperatures, but if Aris can't nail the exact ambient temperatures for both systems, then I doubt GN can. Aris is a well known PSU reviewer and testing PSU in hot and cold condition is a basic thing for a PSU test.

If you want more data, you might also want to add Igor's review.

In summary, they are testing the systems and not just the heatsinks. Sample size needs to be bigger.
Testing methodology was not flawed as far as I know. Unless there is a variable not controlled and accounted for that we don't realize right now. GN did also acknowledged and mentioned that sample size was not enough to reach conclusions so he is aware of his own testing limitations from sample size. I wouldn't necessarily call his testing flawed as it wasn't, just insufficient data to make conclusions which he didn't make any conclusions.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
will wait for the PS6, a bit disappointed for what you get for 500$ with the PS5, am still fine with my PC right now
Haha, then you have to wait long before the Ps6. How many years were there I between the PS4 and the PS5! Well, console master race for me haha

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why we buy Nintendo products rather than overpriced and overhyped Sony products.
Lmfao, you seen the constant shit line up when it comes to the switch, over priced cat acting as a key to download your game.

You talk about over hyped, fuck me, breath of the wild was the most over hyped pile of shit.

Fans that are typical Nintendo fans and refuse to see fault.

But as your on the topic of overpriced, enjoy buying a new console to play old ports dating back to the ps2, all the great games nintendont lacked.

And your paying full price for shit you can get for a quid.

Nintendont is like buying these cheap android devices that emulate everything they missed out on.

At least sony/ms brings new titlez, Nintendo just recycles the same shit, Nintendont games are the same since the 80s.

They're so up their own arse loving how how it's cheap inferior hardware and its fans blindly rush out to buy its shit thus them laughing as ot prints money.

And its devoted dams like you are happy to pay full pricd for old shit.

Name ne one new title Nintendont have released in the last 4 years of switch life, you cant.

So take your "over priced" rant elsewhere, at least sony aren't porting its last failure over to its new console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr