Sony registers trademark for Sunset Overdrive

capsule_616x353.jpg

In the time since Insomniac Games released Sunset Overdrive for the Xbox One in 2014, a lot of things have changed. Most notable of which being Sony's acquisition of the studio in 2019. While there's no official word on whether or not the game will ever receive a sequel, something Sunset Overdrive-related may be brewing over at Sony, as they've registered a trademark for the name, right at the tail-end of April 2021. While we wait to see what comes of this trademark, you can look forward to Insomniac's latest game, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, due out this June.

Trade mark status
Registered
Status date
26/04/2021
210/260 Application number
111 Registration number
Kind of IPR
Trade mark
550 Trade mark type
Word
551 Kind of mark
Individual
270 Application language code
en
511 Nice classification
Trade distinctiveness
false

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is one of the only games that made me want an xbone. I probably won't get it for playstation though. after my issues with the ps store, I don't want the same problem to happen to another account much later down the road.

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wouldn't mind a sequel, but will Insomniac pull away from Spiderman or Ratchet & Clank to make a new Sunset Overdrive game? I doubt it. Probably would be another Sony studio that would do it and might not be as good.

You've got a point, which is why I think this might indicate a port. Not necessarily any time soon as MS had the publishing rights, but those will probably revert back to Insomniac at some point. iirc it took nine years for Remedy to get them back for Alan Wake.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I played the PC version a few years ago, and while it does get repetitive midway through, I enjoyed it.
I think it has some missing potential with the railing momentum and it's arsenal, but the bizarre-ish comic-like visuals really make the gameplay experience look pretty rad.
I believe it won't get a sequel. Probably a PS4/PS5 port.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I imagine that with acquisition of the studio, rights to all their IPs came along with it. Otherwise Microsoft would be disputing this trademark filing shortly.

Getting a trademark for a name is not the same as gaining rights to a game that goes by that name. Sony knows that. They haven't stole anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality