Gaming Sony PSP to play retro games

ShinRyouma

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I use PSP for playing PS1 and GBA games. It's good for PS1 games, as for GBA games you can see the pixels because PSP screen is bigger than GBA's, but it's still good
smile.gif

gtmtnbiker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used Masterboy for GBC games and it works great. Flawless as best I can tell. I've played all of the Zelda GBC games with it.
NesterJ I've used for some NES games like Super Mario Bros. Again, flawless.

I would definitely say that the PSP is the best handheld for playing retro games.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The exceptions are games with SA-1, SDD-1, and Super FX chips so no Star Ocean, Super Mario RPG, or Starfox, there are other games and a Wikipedia list of all games with those 3 chips.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
There's a strange glitch when it renders Mode 7 or SuperFX as when i load them up I can't turn the PSP off without taking off the battery. The framerate on Mode 7 is playable but not being able to turn off is annoying.

sfg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just got a PSP for this exact reason and I'm extremely happy with the purchase. Gone is the pain of emulating on the DS.

QUOTE said:
The exceptions are games with SA-1, SDD-1, and Super FX chips so no Super Mario RPG

But Super Mario RPG works. Don't know about the others. The framerate is pretty good too, only in combat and combat menus is goes down quite a bit, but it's very much playable.

QUOTEThere's a strange glitch when it renders Mode 7 or SuperFX as when i load them up I can't turn the PSP off without taking off the battery.

Hmm, yeah, there was one time when I messed around with the setting and I couldn't even access the emulator menu anymore, but normally I can access it to exit the emulator and then I can turn off the PSP.

Using Snes9xTYL0.4.2

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I use my PSP as a handheld emulation machine.

its great for retro games. Genesis, SNES, NES, PS1, (not 64 yet. still a ways to go with that), GBA, GB, GBC, Master System, Game Gear, etc...

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sfg said:
I've just got a PSP for this exact reason and I'm extremely happy with the purchase. Gone is the pain of emulating on the DS.

QUOTE said:
The exceptions are games with SA-1, SDD-1, and Super FX chips so no Super Mario RPG

But Super Mario RPG works. Don't know about the others. The framerate is pretty good too, only in combat and combat menus is goes down quite a bit, but it's very much playable.

Most have a load of problems or don't work. S-DD1 games don't work on any emulator so Star Ocean and Street Fighter Alpha 2 are out but you also can get Alpha 2 on PS1 and it works well.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still no metion of MVS (Neo Geo Arcade) or CPS 1 & 2 (Capcom Play Systems 1 & 2) all of which run great. 100% arcade emulation at 100% speed and good compatibility.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
There is also Exult, which can run Ultima 7: The Black Gate and Part 2: Serpent Isle. Note that the current Exult port is not fully compatible with the fat PSP, though it will still run. If you play it on a fat psp, it will hang often due to a lack of memory. With a Slim, it only locks up every half an hour to an hour because of the extra RAM. Oh, it also has native TV out support, so no need for FuSA. Oh, and Exult is only a replacement engine (interpreter), you still need to obtain the data files for the game. The same goes for SCUMMVM, which can play many Lucasarts point and click adventure games (maniac mansion, day of the tentacle, monkey island series, etc) but you still need the original game data.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use mine for Nes, Snes, GBA, NeoGeo and CPS1&2. And everything i play (i don't do much odd rpg play on snes... more for Super Metroid and a few other classics) works wonderfully. I *love* the emulation compatibility on PSP (haven't done any PS1 stuff... yet, but i've heard it's VERY nice
wink.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche