Sony PSP to play retro games

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by RedBaron, Feb 10, 2010.

1. RedBaron
    OP

RedBaron GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2009
    Is any body using a Sony PSP to play retro games
    How good or bad is it

2. savior-of-twilig

savior-of-twilig Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2009
    United States
    Escondido, CA
    I find the psp is good for playing retro games on the go, but i prefer playing them on a computer based emulator.

3. ShinRyouma

ShinRyouma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 6, 2008
    Indonesia
    Surabaya
    I use PSP for playing PS1 and GBA games. It's good for PS1 games, as for GBA games you can see the pixels because PSP screen is bigger than GBA's, but it's still good [​IMG]

4. gtmtnbiker

gtmtnbiker GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2008
    United States
    I've used Masterboy for GBC games and it works great. Flawless as best I can tell. I've played all of the Zelda GBC games with it.
    NesterJ I've used for some NES games like Super Mario Bros. Again, flawless.

I would definitely say that the PSP is the best handheld for playing retro games.

5. dirty_harry

dirty_harry GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    Agreed. SNES is working quite good, (few exceptions) PS1 is amazing for a portable console.

http://pspslimhacks.com/psp-emulators/

hit up this page for all of them. Muahahahaha

too many to list. GO NUTS!

6. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    The exceptions are games with SA-1, SDD-1, and Super FX chips so no Star Ocean, Super Mario RPG, or Starfox, there are other games and a Wikipedia list of all games with those 3 chips.

7. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    There's a strange glitch when it renders Mode 7 or SuperFX as when i load them up I can't turn the PSP off without taking off the battery. The framerate on Mode 7 is playable but not being able to turn off is annoying.

8. dirty_harry

dirty_harry GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    Can't have it all I suppose. Still, best handheld SNES emulation. Maybe you can count the eeepc [​IMG]

9. sfg

sfg GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2009
    United States
    I've just got a PSP for this exact reason and I'm extremely happy with the purchase. Gone is the pain of emulating on the DS.

Hmm, yeah, there was one time when I messed around with the setting and I couldn't even access the emulator menu anymore, but normally I can access it to exit the emulator and then I can turn off the PSP.

Using Snes9xTYL0.4.2

10. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    United States
    Las Vegas, NV
    I use my PSP as a handheld emulation machine.

its great for retro games. Genesis, SNES, NES, PS1, (not 64 yet. still a ways to go with that), GBA, GB, GBC, Master System, Game Gear, etc...

11. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Most have a load of problems or don't work. S-DD1 games don't work on any emulator so Star Ocean and Street Fighter Alpha 2 are out but you also can get Alpha 2 on PS1 and it works well.

12. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    Still no metion of MVS (Neo Geo Arcade) or CPS 1 & 2 (Capcom Play Systems 1 & 2) all of which run great. 100% arcade emulation at 100% speed and good compatibility.

13. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    There is also Exult, which can run Ultima 7: The Black Gate and Part 2: Serpent Isle. Note that the current Exult port is not fully compatible with the fat PSP, though it will still run. If you play it on a fat psp, it will hang often due to a lack of memory. With a Slim, it only locks up every half an hour to an hour because of the extra RAM. Oh, it also has native TV out support, so no need for FuSA. Oh, and Exult is only a replacement engine (interpreter), you still need to obtain the data files for the game. The same goes for SCUMMVM, which can play many Lucasarts point and click adventure games (maniac mansion, day of the tentacle, monkey island series, etc) but you still need the original game data.

14. WildWon

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    I use mine for Nes, Snes, GBA, NeoGeo and CPS1&2. And everything i play (i don't do much odd rpg play on snes... more for Super Metroid and a few other classics) works wonderfully. I *love* the emulation compatibility on PSP (haven't done any PS1 stuff... yet, but i've heard it's VERY nice [​IMG])