Sony PS Vita sold out in Japan

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by T-hug, Dec 15, 2011.

Dec 15, 2011

Sony PS Vita sold out in Japan by T-hug at 3:51 PM (3,033 Views / 0 Likes) 26 replies

1. T-hug
    OP

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    Sony Corp. (6758), the world’s second- largest video-game console maker, said it sold out the new PlayStation Vita portable player in pre-ordering in Japan.

“There were lines to make reservations for the machine at retailers,” Andrew House, chief executive officer of Sony Computer Entertainment, told reporters in Tokyo today. He declined to provide the number of orders.

Source:
    http://www.bloomberg...e-ordering.html

2. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    I don't expect the Vita to sell out in the US, but either way that's why I preordered 4 months in advance =).

3. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    IGN disagrees and says only half of them have sold so far.

Edit - http://m.ign.com/articles/1215186

1 person likes this.
  4. djricekcn

Member djricekcn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    VIta did not sell out, you can easily buy them even on the day of the release.

out of 550,000 made on the first week, ony 330,000, about 60% which is not considered good but not a flop either.

3G version are over stocked because no one wants them.

I'm persoally happy with my Vita

5. olembet

Newcomer olembet Advanced Member

United States
    at least sony is not region locked like nintendo!

6. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    3G not selling in Japan? Wow. Considering that in Japan WiFi hotspots are limited. :O

My order will be coming soon anyway.

7. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    a common thing when it comes to sony. r they really that ashamed of how bad they've done this generation? maybe they should stop playing the power game and actually release something innovative. oh, wait, they'd require actual thought--something foreign to sony.

8. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Which means that sales are relatively similar, so they're not doing bad at all. Now stop fanboying around, stuff like this gives me headaches.

9. godreborn

United States
    the main difference is that the ps vita has a much better launch lineup, and it's during a much more profitable period yet it still fails. sony should just give up, but we all know their arrogance won't allow that. if any company will be the death of gaming, I can assure u it will be sony waving the flag.

10. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    Sony just got unlucky with the software they had to compete with in the Japanese market. They had to compete with Final Fantasy XIII-2, Inazuma Eleven, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, and to make matters a whole lot worse a Monster Hunter title that wasn't on a Sony console. Next holiday season will be even worse for them since by that time the Wii U will be out. Sony better hope they can bring out a ton of solid titles next year to keep it close.

11. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    You're a really bad Sony troll. We get it, you don't like Sony, but you're unflagging hatred reveals how little you understand of market forces and the gaming industry if you believe Sony meets all the black marks you've assigned them.

1 person likes this.
  12. godreborn

United States
    except that final fantasy xiii-2 is an utter failure in Japan. it barely broke 500,000 units sold. that is worse than every final fantasy since final fantasy III. even final fantasy x-2 broke one million in its first week. seriously making excuses for its failure is pathetic. having been in Japan, I can tell u that a lot of Japanese gamers don't like sony primarily because they've gone from innovative and inexpensive to uncreative and expensive. sony is a true embarrassment and should be put out of our misery. nothing would please me more than to see sony bankrupt. it would serve as a warning to other companies if they dare follow the footsteps of failure...

13. xist

United Kingdom
    So XIII-2 failed because Square-Enix employed Sony dev's? Wow...i've heard of conspiracy theories but that takes the crown.

You don't like Sony and you don't understand the game industry. It's hard not to see some sort of link.

14. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    godreborn, stfu please?

Anyway
    http://andriasang.com/comzh2/vita_attach_rate/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

15. godreborn
    This message by godreborn has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 4, 2016.
    Dec 22, 2011
  16. jarejare3
    This message by jarejare3 has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 4, 2016.
    Dec 22, 2011
  17. Foxi4
    This message by Foxi4 has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 4, 2016.
    Dec 22, 2011
  18. xist

United Kingdom
    I think some other company has somewhat more effective Brain Washing or Mind Control.

Media Create seems to indicate the Vita didn't sell out due to the higher price point.
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/media-create-we-would-have-liked-vita-to-have-sold-more/089037

19. godreborn
    This message by godreborn has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 4, 2016.
    Dec 22, 2011
  20. jarejare3
    This message by jarejare3 has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 4, 2016.
    Dec 22, 2011
  21. godreborn
    Dec 22, 2011
  22. xist
    This message by xist has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 4, 2016.
    Dec 22, 2011
  23. T-hug
    OP

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    That is completely untrue.

1 person likes this.
  24. djricekcn

United States
    People like you are called 任豚 in Japan...so yeah, not eveyrone hates Sony in Japan, not the majoirty, it's all a matter of personal opinion

also FFXIII-2 didn't do horrible nor it's a flop either. It didn't meet its sales "goal" but they made enough to profit.

25. Joe88
    This message by Joe88 has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 4, 2016.
    Dec 23, 2011
  26. godreborn
    Dec 23, 2011
  27. djricekcn
    This message by djricekcn has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 4, 2016.
    Dec 23, 2011
  28. godreborn
    Dec 23, 2011
  29. jarejare3
    Dec 23, 2011
  30. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Next one to derail the thread gets a suspension.

You hate Sony? Fine, you're entitled to open a blog called "I HAET SONY" and vent your rage into that, but not into this thread.

Thanks.

2 people like this.
  31. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    People need to grow up a bit in here...

Anyways, I'm glad that the PS Vitas are selling well. Personally, I'm waiting to see how the PSV's first whole month goes. I'm still on the fence about the purchase (albeit, my shadow is on the purchasing side rather than not) but depending on what games are announced/released, PSX support, hacking breakthroughs, and updates to fix various issues such as the freezes will influence whether or not I'll get one near launch. I'm very excited about this product and can't wait to see it fully blossom. I really hope that Sony can take the throne from Nintendo because when there is tough competition, the consumers always win.

32. djricekcn

United States
    The vita didn't sell "well" in terms of over all. only about 60% of launch stocks were sold, which is not actually a good number. HOWEVER, fun fact. 3G ones are over-stocked while the Wifi ones were sold out at most metropolitan cities in Japan. The 3G used one sells about the same price as a used wifi one, with the simcard included.

Long story short, no one cares about 3G....it could be due to the shitty Data Plan, but it could also be the fact that the 3G is targeted at the wrong consumers, majority of the gamers don't care to play over data-network when they are on the go (keep in mind, Japan market is not the same as Western)

Basically, Vita isn't a success but it isn't a flop either, at least by first week data. Currently, it's reputation is about the same as what 3DS was when it first came out, however, 3DS is getting more attention at the moment, especially due to Monster Hunter "4"

As for me, I am happy with my Vita and would recommend it. So far I have Army Corpse of Hell, Shinobido 2, Uncharted, Katamari, Ridge Racer. I'm a Ridge Racer fan and especially Sampling Masters (Mega and Aya mainly) fan so I am happy with Ridge Racer as is (2980yen + 1000yen dlc when it's ready). Shinobido 2 is more like a ps2 game but it is fun if you like Tenchu or part 1 of Shinobido, Army Corpse of Hell...it's like Pikmin that's more centered towards action, Uncharted is Uncharted. Katamari...I didn't like as much as I thought I would.