Sony promising to show 40 new games across current platforms

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Isn't it because people want an experience on a console that they wouldn't be able to get on another? It becomes a factor in deciding which consoles to buy when two of them mostly share the same games (like multi-platform games on the PS3/360).
Oh? And I always bought video game consoles to play video games on - exclusivity of titles was in my case actually a problem rather than an advantage as certain games in certain series span across various platforms forcing the user to purchase several consoles rather than just one.

What's not to understand? It's all about competition and making a console more wanted to the public over the other. For people, it's a way to show which one is supreme (fanboyism).

Personally, I don't get this Utopian lovey-dovey can everything be the same no war peace for everyone tree-cuddling hippy attitude. It's not fun if everything was the same, everything offered the same experience. There would be no choice and there was no reason to build better games because well, someone else isn't doing a better job so we cba too.

Competition is good, choice is good. Etc.

Competition is great, sure, but why not compete on the field of hardware? I don't see how the multiplatform approach is in any way detrimental to the industry - to the contrary, it allows the game to be played by a larger number of users. Console Wars could easily be played on the hardware field - each console has a different set of services and add-ons, different input methods etc. and each version of the game could include specific, exclusive content. Of course that's a dream never to come true, but hey.

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Competition is great, sure, but why not compete on the field of hardware? I don't see how the multiplatform approach is in any way detrimental to the industry - to the contrary, it allows the game to be played by a larger number of users. Console Wars could easily be played on the hardware field - each console has a different set of services and add-ons, different input methods etc. and each version of the game could include specific, exclusive content. Of course that's a dream never to come true, but hey.

It's pure psychological and economics come on. It's not so hard to understand now is it?
I'm sure you would buy the same bread with seeds on top for an extra euro just for the different wrapping.

Even if you feel that this would be the best because everyone can play, that's nothing more than wishful thinking. In the end, all this competition brings in more money than just simply having three consoles with all the same games would. It's pretty much the same with any product. You buy one or the other because of what it offers, the build quality, the features etc.

Just imagine everyone running around with iPhones.. yuck. "Can your Sony iPhone take sharp pictures?" "Well, yes, it has the same 13mp camera lens as your Apple iPhone." "Damn hear this Samsung iPhone having sick speakers!!" Jean puts on some music, producing the exact same sound out of his Nokia iPhone.

Seriously though, you need brand-awareness, you need to be different, you want to have exclusive features etc. Because of that, your competitors will find new and exciting features which will benefit everyone in the end.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I still can't understand what's people's fascination with "exclusives" - the fact that owners of different systems won't be able to play a given game doesn't make it "better" in any way, and if we're talking about the system-selling capacity, that's something the console's manufacturers should be happy about, not the general public. I personally don't care if the games they'll show will be exclusive or not, I just want them to be interesting.

what would be the point of different consoles if every one of em had the same games? :wacko:

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm always skeptical of claims like these (same with Microsoft's "the Xbox One will have 10 new IPs!" spiel). New games are great, don't get me wrong, but these sorts of announcements are so vague that it really doesn't mean much of anything.

If The Last of Us is any indication, Sony still has what it takes to produce great, worthwhile titles. Still, I'd rather see them for myself first before I get pant-shittingly excited.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what would be the point of different consoles if every one of em had the same games? :wacko:

The same reason consoles have different models within a broad class now, same reason a whole bunch of companies make their own DVD players, same reason I can build a device broadly classified as a PC using components from a thousand different manufacturers.

In the end, all this competition brings in more money than just simply having three consoles with all the same games would.

Ignoring handhelds that is at least three companies/groups (nintendo, Microsoft (xbox + directX), Sony) spending billions to develop and market broadly similar classes of hardware that at various levels compute at about the same power, take input from similar devices and output to similar devices.
I can not see a surefire or even all that sturdy argument that this is definitely a money making scheme.

jacksprat1990

Trophies
XP
Country
40 games is good news for Playstation fans. Could all be suck but there's got to be some gems in there.

P.S. No choreographed dancing to go with them please Sony.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm deciding to hold my horses on this one. And to be honest...I should take names of those who ARE enthusiast about it.

Remember...the wiiu had a launch line-up of about 30 games (quickly googled link), but that doesn't stop anyone from proclaiming it has "no gaems".
Since it's a new console, you can brand pretty much any game as being "new", and it could very well be that they're still counting the games revealed in february as 'new' (since, y'know...not yet released).

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm deciding to hold my horses on this one. And to be honest...I should take names of those who ARE enthusiast about it.

Remember...the wiiu had a launch line-up of about 30 games (quickly googled link), but that doesn't stop anyone from proclaiming it has "no gaems".
Since it's a new console, you can brand pretty much any game as being "new", and it could very well be that they're still counting the games revealed in february as 'new' (since, y'know...not yet released).

But the Wii U has no gaems.

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish consoles shared a set of standard within a generation, letting all physical copies be played on all consoles. Then Consoles would have to stand on special features, "arcade" & retro games and controls exclusive to them.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm always skeptical of claims like these (same with Microsoft's "the Xbox One will have 10 new IPs!" spiel). New games are great, don't get me wrong, but these sorts of announcements are so vague that it really doesn't mean much of anything.

If The Last of Us is any indication, Sony still has what it takes to produce great, worthwhile titles. Still, I'd rather see them for myself first before I get pant-shittingly excited.
remember the 100 games for the vita!

imo I am sorry but it will be games for ps3 + ps4 counting as 2 completely different games, chances are if there is a cross platform game between ps4 and vita they will count it as 2 different games...

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I wish consoles shared a set of standard within a generation, letting all physical copies be played on all consoles. Then Consoles would have to stand on special features, "arcade" & retro games and controls exclusive to them.
It's called a Windows PC for a reason :D

I'd imagine they count cross platform games as one game, at least the PS+ release info is done in that way. As Gahars said, if The Last of Us is an indicator for quality, I'll be buying the games sooner than later (maybe even a PS4 if PS+ is available on it from the beginning) :P

Also, #SonyMasterRace

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: