OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Multiple sites are reporting this news:

QUOTE said:
Sony Corp. (6758), Japan’s largest exporter of consumer electronics, unexpectedly reported a third straight annual loss, citing a charge for deferred tax assets.

The net loss was 260 billion yen ($3.2 billion) in the year ended March 31, including a 360 billion yen charge for deferred tax assets, the Tokyo-based company said in a preliminary earnings statement today. That compares with the 76 billion yen profit average of 10 analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg in the past 28 days and Sony’s previous forecast for annual profit of 70 billion yen.

The maker of Bravia televisions is struggling to improve earnings even after restarting plants that were disrupted by Japan’s 9-magnitude temblor and ensuing power shortages. The company is trying to fully resume its PlayStation Network and Qriocity online services after an attack by hackers compromised personal information from more than 100 million user accounts.

Operating income, or sales minus the cost of goods sold and administrative expenses, increased to about 200 billion yen while revenue declined 0.5 percent to 7.18 trillion yen, Sony said. That compares with the 206 billion yen and 7.2 trillion yen averages of analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg.

Sony fell 0.5 percent to close at 2,211 yen in Tokyo trading today before the announcement. The stock has dropped 24 percent this year, more than triple the 7.5 percent decline by Japan’s benchmark Nikkei 225 Stock Average.

Source Number 1: FT.com

Another site chimes in on the situation.

QUOTESony has posted a Y260bn ($3.18bn) net loss for the year ended March 31 due to the impact of Japan’s quake and tsunami and the hacker attacks that forced it to shut down its PlayStation Network, the Japanese electronics company revealed in a preliminary earnings statement Monday.

The company had called a news conference on Monday for 5.30pm local time to announce the revision. Companies listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange are required to inform investors if they believe they will miss earnings targets by 30 per cent or more.

Sony was scheduled to report fourth-quarter and full-year results on Thursday. Analysts had been expecting a Y76bn profit and the company had forecast net income of Y70bn.

Last week Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive, acknowledged that Sony would lose money and customers as a result of the theft of customer information by the hackers, though he did not say how much.

Names, addresses and network passwords belonging to 100m people, including all PSN users, were stolen in the attack.

Source No 2: Bloomberg.com

Now here's the important part. The first article mentions that "unexpectedly reported a third straight annual loss." This means Sony has continued to lose money ever since they posted a massive profit loss of 4.7 billion dollars just three years ago. (SOURCE)

And it really looks like the hacker situation has really destroyed the image of the company.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh my god. This is shit for them, for us. Oh my gosh. This may mean the end of Playstation so soon... nah I don´t hope so for the fan-boys I am not that bad.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for my laziness but did this come as a proper financial report or just a simple earnings report?

Attempting to pre-empt doomsayers even if Sony (or divisions of) lacks liquid funds as a result of all this remember they have serious IP assets. Still forgoing some knockon effects for a moment couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of people.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So how much of that is lawyer fees?
tongue.gif

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats what they get for making a stink. i hope they go out of business or get bought out by someone with some good ethics and smart product design.

should have left well enough alone.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
3.2 billion for all divisions, though I am sure they lost less in their gaming division then in others. I think there is so much competition for the TV market now and with Sharp and Samsung constantly bringing out new technology and improving their products at a faster rate then Sony, plus lower price points generally, they are winning that industry. And it's not like Sony has much in the mobile device market really, don't think they make computers anymore, they have some hardware, Blu Ray players, phones and things like that but they don't have enough profitable assets to keep them afloat forever. The company is floating on a wreckage right now and they need to get their act together as a company real fast lest they face commercial failure.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sales must be terrible. I thought they'd be saving money with all the people they've been laying off. Maybe they need to lay off workers that are higher in the food chain...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.