Sony PlayStation 5 Showcase: September event - price and release date confirmed

Today is the day, or so we hope. Sony is airing their latest PlayStation Showcase event that, hopefully, finally, gives us the PlayStation 5 launch date and retail price. Considering that Microsoft already revealed both of those bits of information for their next-gen console, it can only be expected that Sony would do the same. Only time will tell if this is the event we've been waiting for. Catch the livestream, which kicks off at 1pm PDT/9pm BST, and lasts for 40 minutes, giving us "one more look" at what the PlayStation 5 will offer.

Live Coverage

The first game's footage is captured on PC emulating the PS5 experience. Square Enix.

It's a new Final Fantasy game. Action-based combat. A medieval-esque setting. Final Fantasy XVI. PlayStation console exclusive, will also launch on PC.

Now the rest of the games will be captured on actual PS5 hardware...

It's Spider-Man: Miles Morales. We get both cinematic and actual gameplay footage in this, where Miles faces off against new villains.

The Harry Potter RPG finally gets an official confirmation. Make your own story. Shape the future of the wizarding world. Hogwarts: Legacy, 2021.

Black Ops: Cold War gets some footage. This Friday, PS4 players get to try the multiplayer alpha for the game.

Resident Evil 8 coming 2021.

Arkane's Timeloop has a character-focused trailer that also gives us a better look at some of the gameplay elements, and how you'll be taking down the targets you're tasked with killing. Q2 2021. PlayStation and PC.

Devil May Cry 5 is getting a special edition on PS5. Available on launch.

Oddworld is next with Oddworld Soulstorm, featuring bigger worlds and more obstacles to overcome.

Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach revealed. Nothing more than that.

Demon's Souls begins the hype train anew. Actual gameplay is featured in this trailer. Load times between fog gates are incredibly fast, almost instant.

Fortnite is a launch title.

PlayStation Plus Collection. Available for PS+ users, offers Final Fantasy 15, Fallout 4, God of War, Uncharted 4, and many other PlayStation 4 titles, including Bloodborne, access these games through backwards compatibility on PS5.

November 12 PS5 launch in most countries, the 19th everywhere else.

n3LgaeJ.png

God of War Ragnarok is teased at the end for 2021.

D

Deleted User

Used market is not the same as new products, and the prices of course are below, as well as the amount of work one has to do, and my time is more expensive than a PS5 (perhaps your time is cheaper). The comparison validity is void.
either way, the unnecessary price hike for a disc drive is unnecessary. $100 just to have a chance to play your older games that might not even be compatible

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
either way, the unnecessary price hike for a disc drive is unnecessary. $100 just to have a chance to play your older games that might not even be compatible
Regarding the price hike, that is subjective I guess.
Regarding the "older games might not even be compatible", yeah, it sucks they are not clear and straightforward.

But anyway, IMHO, they both lose money in the disc and discless versions, but they are willing to lose more money on the discless version to remove the used games market option, and make more money later on digital sales.

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Finally the Harry Potter game. It's the only game I'm excited for, I think. Even if it's sort of bad, if it gives you enough "freedom" to play then it's worth it in my view. I'll get the PS4 version, hopefully physical, though.

Reactions: Nobody_Important4u
D

Deleted User

God of War and Resident Evil 8 will probably do it for me, so I'll buy it in late 2021 assuming that's when both of those are out.

They should call it just God of War again to mess with people.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Will GTA 5 have raytracing? Will there be a Knack game on PS5? When will the slim version release?
So many questions.

It's true it's hard to believe they had a press conference revealing the PS5 price and didn't talk about a Knack game. They should just go third party.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The problem with this console is that I know myself, and I have a consumerism problem.
I may end up buying both the PS5 and XSX before the end of the year if I can't control myself, and it is likely.

BUT truth said, I believe any SANE person (not myself) would wait and see until next year at least.

(almost a gambling problem...)

Reactions: Xzi

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I live in Brazil, I know this situa

But if the difference isn't that big, I really don't think it's worth justifying buying a weaker console like the Series S in place of the PS5 All Digital.
tion well

You do realize it will be selling for BRL 5,000-9,000, ($900-$1700) over here right?
Scalpers are going to have a field day with these consoles.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
cmon a disc drive isnt 100$ diference...
IMHO, they both lose money in the disc and discless versions, but they are willing to lose more money on the discless version to remove the used games market option, and make more money later on digital sales.
No, but cutting down used games sales is quite more than $100.

Reactions: HideoKojima

BigPanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
They got me by the feeling. Final Fantasy XVI Awakening

Even if it's look like a mix of Final Fantasy XV and XII i'll have to play it :(

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They need to put pre-order date on front page (tomorrow in most outlets).

Btw i love how they jumped in front of sexbox's pre-order date

Last edited by wartutor,

Naderino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All footage captured on pc to emulate ps5 experience.

That FF game looked way worse than ff15 visually.

Can't wait to experience FF XVI. That in of itself got me super hyped. I can imagine it'll get polished if they didn't announce a release date and, well, it took 10 years to get XV :P

D

Deleted User

You know very well that you are paying quite above the dollar price in pounds.
Regarding US prices, they don't include taxes, while European prices already include all taxes within.
And you know VAT is high.

That said, yeah... life.
You're right and I'm aware of that, but it's still weird to see the same price. The games in Europe-EU countries are €59.99 while in U.K they're generally far cheaper.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended