Sony patents another anti used game measure. It is unknown if Sony's next system will use it

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Lurker2, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Lurker2
    OP

Banned Lurker2 Banned!

United States
    =

Rasas likes this.

2. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Might be better in the USN?

Meh, I'll take this over always online DRM any day. Besides, I trust them haxxors to bypass this in the future anyways.

Celice likes this.
  3. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    Used game prevention is so lame. Seriously Sony, you're begging for us to hate you.

4. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    i think this can also be used like this

you account is banned
    the game will NOT work anymore on the account, as the account has been blacklisted

but this could be something they could do as well
    if the game is used
    if the game is tie to an account, you may need buy a new license off the PSN store ($5-$20 USD), so you can run game and link it to that new account

the game(license) can only be linked to one account at a time

when you put the game in,
    a message show up,
    this game is tied a a different account, you need to purchase a license for your account
    it willl take you the the PSN stroe you you can buy the license

5. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Because we all know digital downloads can be redownloaded an infinite number of times if your console breaks.

6. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    It uses RFID chips, aren't those extremely vulnerable and flawed? If I remember correctly they have been a security concern recently (The Mythbusters wanted to do an episode on them but gagged)

Its also worth noting that just because they patent something doesn't mean their going to use it, just that they have an idea and they don't want anyone else making money off it.

7. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    It'll never happen as it'd be commercial suicide unless all the major players adopted it, and seeing as it's a Sony patent they won't. I can't imagine anything could possibly make Microsoft's and Nintendo's console more attractive to everyone than this stupid idea.

8. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Making money off it? If they use this at all, it's going have the opposite results.

9. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    As has been stated countless times elsewhere, this is just a patent - Sony just wants to make sure no one moves in on their idea. This doesn't mean it will be implemented; I mean, Sony patented foldable controllers a while back, and we've yet to see anything come out of that.

It's a shame, too, because that really could've added a new dimension to Folding@home.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  10. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Online passes is already half of this. I suspect this "feature" will be optional, but even the option is enough for me to say thanks but I'm going to pass....

I think this could be implemented on any console with firmware updates but Sony just seems to fit the most likely company to use the option.

11. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    good for them i hope they do it if they think is the way to go

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  12. Clydefrosch

Member Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    you can always trade ps4's :D

13. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
  14. Senbei Norimaki

Newcomer Senbei Norimaki Advanced Member

If people buy used games then the developers loses money and then stop releasing new games. Next battle will be against the people that lend games to their friends.

15. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    After that they can figure out a way to keep people from playing at your house on your game.

Just think you buy a game for 50 bucks and when a friend tries to pick up your controller the whole console shuts down and bans your account!

xwatchmanx likes this.
  16. ComeTurismO

Member ComeTurismO CTO

Canada
    Damn it, I found this on IGN, and I was about to post it LOL.
    Sony doesn't know whats gonna happen, lol.

17. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Restrict a Disc to a console?
    Console dies, buy a new one ... re-buy the games too!

shakirmoledina likes this.
  18. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    ps3hax mentioned this but commented that such a thing was presented for the ps3 but never was implemented. lets hope sony has some of its old habits.

19. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Another one:

Go to family or friends to show your new game, don't forget to bring your console/controller too!
    Or kids with divorced parents, they could have two consoles, but they need two games! ahah

This is not viable to restrict a Disc to a single console, unless they don't care to mess with their user's opinion.

PS:
    I didn't read the article fully, I only suppose what could happens based on this thread.

RFID can be secured (but to be secure they need internet access to check against certificates before reading/writing to it)
    But what would prevent someone to kill all RFID in retail games in a shop? if you can analyse what the PS is sending, do the same. (or even power a portable PS into a shop and register all the games to your console without even unpacking them)

Ron likes this.
  20. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Already done unless you have unearthed a hidden cache of local multiplayer games for modern systems that I do not know about.

Anyway as RFID chips do seem to be lacking grunt (and I am not sure if you can add enough capacitors without messing up disc balancing to change that) I dare say a revisit of the fight club tape wiping scene might be in order should this come to pass.

Otherwise we have done the second hand games "debate" (I don't see there being a good reason to consider restricting second hand sales or otherwise changing anything save for losing the online pass stuff) before.

All that said and before my post devolves into a string of expletives I am not entirely sure how you can patent what seemingly amounts to an EEPROM hooked up to a RFID antenna.