Sony "OtherOS" Lawsuit partially reversed

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by chrisrlink, Jan 18, 2014.

1. chrisrlink
    OP

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    I read an article that the Lawsuit of Sony removing otherOS from Playstation 3's at the 3.21 Update has been partially reversed
    http://www.law360.com/classaction/a...ss-action-over-linux-on-ps3-partially-revived

Anyways comments 'bout it (I didn't see this already do but if it is close thread).

2. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Thats all well and good, but I'm not sure who really cares what the Sony higher ups think.

Also, you need a source, paraphrase, not a direct quoted article, as well as to remove the formatting from your copied source.

3. chrisrlink
    OP

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
  4. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I had no idea you even posted any article because it blended perfectly with the page.

Read the sticky on how to post news.

Ammako, Sicklyboy and Celice like this.
  5. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
  6. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    I don't like how the focus is that to keep OtherOS they had to give up PSN. The real issue should be that to keep OtherOS they had to give up the ability to play any new games after that point.

Still, I wish them well, hopefully they'll prevail and make it a precedent that removing features in the process of updating is a no-no.

7. chrisrlink
    OP

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    plus fighting big Corporations like Sony would give hope to others (assuming he wins) plus I hate how big corporations=Government like SOPA nd that other one the small people average joe should have a say and not big businesses

8. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    If you can't access to the full article, you probably shouldn't be posting it or waiting until you can find another source.

Occupy Something, maaan! I don't know what or why, but we'll figure that out later!

Taleweaver likes this.
  9. Squirps

Squirps Official Squirps of GBATemp.net™

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    The corner in that dark alley.
    Just wanted to point out that this is the 13,337th thread created in User Submitted News. :P

10. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    You forgot to point out the you just got +1 to your post count too.

11. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    time for Sony to dip into its PS4 sales for the "bribe the court from the OtherOS lawsuit" fund

12. Dork

Dork Newbie

So, is OtherOS coming back or not?

13. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    During the apple vs psystar law suit, I found there are laws that prevents companies from artificially locking OSs to hardware. The reverse is also true. Apple losing the law suit (psystar counter sued) would of meant Apple could no longer stop people from making "hackintosh" by having preventive measures in their OS. Apple would of had to let people's open source drives for hardware work.

Apple as been clearly getting away with breaking the hardware to software and software to hardware laws for sometime. Psystar winning would of meant future versions of Mac OS X being stripped clean of all the prevented measures. Possibly would of cause the out come of the Other OS law suit to be different. Imagine if Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo would not be aloud to block us from making our own OSes from sketch for their consoles?