Sony Online Entertainment Sold, Becoming Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tom Bombadildo, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    soe.jpg

Sony Online Entertainment, the developers/publishers that are known for creating the EverQuest games, PlanetSide 1 and 2, Saga of Heroes and other MMOs, has been sold to Columbos Nova, an investment management company.
    Current SOE games will not be affected by this sale, and SOE/Daybreak Game Company expects to develop even more IPs, including multi-platform development.

:arrow:Source
    :arrow:Original Statement

BORTZ likes this.
  2. Ashtonx

Ashtonx n0l1f3

Oct 31, 2013
    Poland
    Sony selling it's mmo stable ? lol they must have more trouble than i thought.

3. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    Sony is all about focusing on the PS4, and I've yet to see a really good MMO pick up on a gaming console. Therefore, they didn't have much use for SOE and SOE didn't really need the IP that Sony can provide. Multi-platform freedom should prove much more useful for MMO development.

4. Ashtonx

Ashtonx n0l1f3

Oct 31, 2013
    Poland
    unlikely, soe problems were caused by its management, it's a company that pretty much ruled mmo genre at some point, even after all their failures in recent years it was still a name that held some impact on mmorpg scene.

If sony restructured it and made them do something great it'd prolly be big on the mmorpg scene once again. Instead they sold it.

For me it's same as if ms sold halo, fable and age of empires

5. Northern Nemesis

Northern Nemesis GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    Canada
    ya, not even close bud

6. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    Neat, I guess. I don't really remember playing any games developed by these guys.

7. rdurbin

rdurbin GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2006
    United States
    US
    now for the big question. Since soe/daybreak games is now free to make games on any platform, which I am assuming pretty much means xbox 1, maybe wii U. Will this mean the games themselves support cross platform play. I don't think microsoft would be on board with that. Sony and Nintendo...maybe

8. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Guys, there's no need to be pessimistic. Look on the brighter side; this is just the dawn of a new Daybreak.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

jonthedit likes this.
  9. Northern Nemesis

Jul 28, 2014
    Canada
    lmfao every single game they have made is garbage, Sony made the right move.

10. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Yeah, because EverQuest 1+2, Planetside 1+2, and Star Wars Galaxy were totally garbage :rolleyes:

Joe88, chavosaur and Ashtonx like this.
  11. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    GAHARS LIVES!!!!

OnTopic:
    Surprised Sony got rid of it... though at the same time I have no positive memories of the games they developed...

12. Ashtonx

Ashtonx n0l1f3

Oct 31, 2013
    Poland
    Im guessing he's from younger generation that learned about mmos only when wow was released.

13. Northern Nemesis

Jul 28, 2014
    Canada
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Yes, they are.

14. Nemmay

Nemmay Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2015
    United States
    All of those games were pretty good, or at least good at one point until SOE took a dump on them and made them garbage. Planetside 2 has suffered a lot because of the porting to the PS4, it actually runs a lot worse than it use to on PC and they've disabled/removed some of the graphical options for higher-end hardware; not to mention, they repeatedly dumped many aspects of the game down so people who weren't any good at FPS titles would be able to get kills without any effort (Coyote Missles, 'nuff said) The community of PS2 has shrank so much that they've had to merge quite a few servers to keep a decent playerbase. Although, it is really interesting to see the differences in playstyles between each server, and it was neat to see players from another server experience the more hardcore outfits from the server I played on when Waterson and Mattherson were merged into Emerald.

In Planetside 1, they thought introducing the OP BFRs to the game would be a great idea and completely wrecked the balance of the game.. Let's not even get into the horrible things they did to Star Wars Galaxies.

SOE was able to develop great games, but they were unable to update their games without fucking them up and losing a playerbase, thus resulting in less money.

What I want to know is what crackhead came up with the name, Daybreak Game Company?

15. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Good bye DC universe online?

16. rdurbin

rdurbin GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2006
    United States
    US

I am not sure why you say that? If anything this could bring dc universe online to xbox one or wii U, which can bring even more people to the game (assuming they will share the same server, which I somehow doubt)

17. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Reading is hard :(