Sony on the future direction of PS3 and NGP

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Sully99, Mar 9, 2011.

Mar 9, 2011
  1. Sully99
    OP

Banned Sully99 Banned

United States
    Poor translation tl:dr = Both Sony and Microsoft are reconsidering making consoles next gen.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59567

2. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well, they DID say the ps3 would be run for around 10 years, so this isn't such a big surprise.

3. Maedhros

Member Maedhros GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    Saw that on Neogaf, pretty mixed oppinions. They said the article had some mistranslations as well (on the PS4 part).

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    • I'm pretty sure if there was a PS3.5 it'd be like the incremental PSP upgrades, no game would actually require it, it'd just be a better redesign (like the slim). These are generally expected nowadays (minus the Wii) and are good as each one cuts manufacturing costs and (in general) heat creation. I suppose the Wii was cheap enough to make already that Nintendo didn't bother releasing incremental models...
    • Webkit? That's the rendering engine both Chrome and Safari use. Interesting decision, I suppose the licensing (LGPL and BSD) is a reason Sony's considering it. They can just use the rendering engine and slap their own UI and such around it (yes, this means you're not getting Chrome itself on the PS3) without having to share the source of their own parts of the browser.
    • If they expect handhelds to displace consoles they need to whip their loading times into shape. That said there's some things that work better on a console than a handheld, such as a sit-down-and-grind jRPG, but games like Pokemon have been challenging that mindset.

5. bigpaws

Member bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    yes a redesign like the xbox 360 had is most likely

maybe apple is pulling all to work on portable at the moment due to competition

the consoles must take a run for their money and try their best to beat them some way

a move to focus on portable takes the fight to apples grounds here
    notice how the new handhelds are trying to incorperate multi media programs too?
    ya

6. Maedhros

Brazil
    Questionable. I prefer playing on the go than on a screen these days. I don't even own a console because of the DS and the PSP, they're my main consoles on this generation.

7. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    I don't think waiting to see how the next gen of handhelds preforms first a bad idea, really. Looking at what NVIDIA's got planned for the Tegra line handhelds could outpower the current generation consoles pretty easily within the next couple years. Throw in HDMI output, a good screen, and some WiFi and from there it's just a matter of storage and a comfortable control setup.

8. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    Interesting stuff. I'm not really sure on the whole "handhelds will replace consoles" thing... it could happen, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Also, get ready for 3 pages of Sony bashing for whatever reason people come up with this time.

9. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    Have all the gaming companies lost their goddamn minds....The handheld market and the home console market have co existed since the 1980's ......What the hell makes them think its going to suddenly change....
    And please don't say "its because of the iphone which shows that people only want to pay $1 for a game and want to play it portably."
    Yes there are people that wanna do that....and thats fine....there's a market for them....but its not the same market that people like sony and nintendo get there sales from.....
    Their two separate markets and I doubt that will ever change
    [/rant]

10. Maedhros

Brazil
    If you have a handheld that can run HD graphics and it has an HDMI port (not saying right now, but on the future) or a port connected to a dock of sorts, how would it be different from a console? You could play it on the go or on the television. I can see this happening in the future.

11. Fear Zoa

United States
    By the time that happens, the things they could do on a home console would have advanced farther too.....

They will always be different experiences......thats why I see no point in abandoning one....

But whatever...thats just my opinion......

12. Maedhros

Brazil
    It's actually my oppinion with desktops too, but the market is changing... the new generations really like to have everything on the go these days...

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    There's a limit to what the human eye can make out. It's a reason you don't see 11" screens at a 2560x1600 resolution. While consoles will always be more powerful than handhelds, it will eventually get to the point where the added power of the consoles isn't used. I mean even now you see little girls getting Core i5 laptops and you know they're not using half the CPU power, whereas previously laptops would run a P-3 and strain on it.

14. Fear Zoa

United States
    yep...I suppose they do, It just kinda seems like a step back to me.......

And what about stuff like certain wii games, and kinect...I don't see any way those could be made portable....

15. Eckin

Member Eckin GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Both handhelds and home consoles have their own merit, some things work better on the go, some things work better on your couch. I see no reason to "give up" on either!

... and fighting games aren't the same thing when you play on a handheld! [​IMG]

16. Maedhros

Brazil
    Because the current inputs sucks. Seriously, I never saw a portable D-Pad great for fighting games, so I can agree on this.

17. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Even with HDMI output?

Edit: But I guess that can be too much trouble than just having a console.

18. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    Sony is really having a hard time on their consoles while Nintendo is playing around while watching the great market of the 3DS.

19. idulkoan

Banned idulkoan Banned

United States
    I was expecting to see the PS4 next year, since the pattern with Sony is that they release a new Home Console about every 6 years... Well PS3 is making LOTS of money with all these games sold, so its not a big surprize

20. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    Next gen handhelds have touchscreens. For the Nintendo handhelds, okay.. Top screen can be shown on your television, but what about the NGP?
    Don't mind me. Sony could just use the touchescreen as something else but what I'm talking about are heavily touch orientated games.