DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

"As announced at PlayStation meeting, the NGP is compatible with PSP software. PSP titles will run completely through emulation, said Hirai.Those who already have downloadable PSP titles on their PSP system will be able to redownload them to NGP, assuming you're still within the download number limits imposed by PSN."
As announced at PlayStation meeting, the NGP is compatible with PSP software. PSP titles will run completely through emulation, said Hirai.NGP will also support general memory cards, a Sony representative told Impress. Specific formats were not mentioned. The site did not make clear what "support" means.
Separate from the Hirai interview, the Impress Watch story says that the NGP in its current form will not support video output. The site was told this by a Sony representative.[/p]

Sony has announced that PSP games will run on NGP through emulation, they also announce that NGP will support "general memory cards", though specific formats were not mentioned. Sony states NGP will not support video output, bummer.​

icon11.gif
Source

edit: sorry image wont show.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
problem is u put a line break at the end
Code:
[center][thumb]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/11x0127b7y466.jpg
[/thumb][/center]

just get rid of it and it will work fine
Code:
[center][thumb]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/11x0127b7y466.jpg[/thumb][/center]

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad that this unit will support my downloaded psp titles. I would not even consider upgrading if I would lose games. However, my abilty to upgrade from my pspGo will depend entirely on the price.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's emulation.. They'll let you use the PSP games for a few years.. then release a firmware upgrade that removes that feature.

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
problem is u put a line break at the end
Code:
[center][thumb]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/11x0127b7y466.jpg
[/thumb][/center]

just get rid of it and it will work fine
Code:
[center][thumb]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/11x0127b7y466.jpg[/thumb][/center]

Thanks terminator02, I should have known that.

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
Just pointing this out, but while it's nice to have this backwards compatibility, emulation in itself requires a good deal more power to operate. I wonder just how much more power would be required to run them.

I assume it can't be much more than running ported ps3 games.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bah, with TV out, it really will be a PS3. I would think it would require some extra tacked on hardware (makes it more expensive) to plug directly into the TV. I'll be willing to bet it would be through the PS3 instead of the TV.

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Argentum Vir said:
Bah, with TV out, it really will be a PS3. I would think it would require some extra tacked on hardware (makes it more expensive) to plug directly into the TV. I'll be willing to bet it would be through the PS3 instead of the TV.

How much you wanna bet the NGP lite will have video out.
rofl.gif

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Tigran said:
If it's emulation.. They'll let you use the PSP games for a few years.. then release a firmware upgrade that removes that feature.

Emulation of PS2 was hardware based, that's why it disappeared on later revisions. If it is totally software based I don't think it will disappear (like PS1 emulation on PSP/PS3)

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Who cares about video?

I'm glad that they'll support general memory cards, most likely contenders are SD, SDHC, and Memory Sticks.

The lack of UMD may cause problems with me playing PSP games but if Namco-Bandai puts out something for the NGP with a high replay value such as the Gundam and Macross games (I want more Gundam and Macross too) or FROM makes another Armored Core or Another Century's, it'll be ok.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Still no way to trade in UMDs for virtual downloads I'm assuming. I wonder if they'll support all the PSP games currently on PSN, or if only a handful will be supported, with one or two more added each month...Hopefully the former, so there is a reasonably strong library of games available instantly, and for previous PSP owners, already a bunch of games to download. Also good its not a proprietary memory card.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
DiscostewSM said:
Just pointing this out, but while it's nice to have this backwards compatibility, emulation in itself requires a good deal more power to operate. I wonder just how much more power would be required to run them.
NGP features a 4 core ARM Cortex A9 clocked somewhere from 500-200MHz.
A "bloated" emulator (JPCSP) can already play many PSP titles on an x86 processor with a clock speed like that.

As long Sony does it right and the emulator is extremely optimized on the ARM processor, there is no reason why NGP can't emulate a PSP.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
fgghjjkll said:
DiscostewSM said:
NGP features a 4 core ARM Cortex A9 clocked somewhere from 500-200MHz.
A "bloated" emulator (JPCSP) can already play many PSP titles on an x86 processor with a clock speed like that.

As long Sony does it right and the emulator is extremely optimized on the ARM processor, there is no reason why NGP can't emulate a PSP.

Not saying it won't. Just saying that it'll use more power running in an emulated environment than in the PSP's own native environment, and because it's on a handheld, power usage is an important factor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.