Sony made an unhackable system and their sales still suck

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by dib, Dec 26, 2014.

1. dib
    OP

dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 1, 2004
    United States
    The way I see it, so far I have paid Sony $0. I don't own a Vita and wouldn't buy one unless it were hackable because I don't like buying hardware that I can't fully use. The best things to happen to the PSP were thanks to custom firmware, and it's the reason I'm still playing one today. So I went from spending no money to buying two PSPs, spare battery, some DLC, and even the few games that I had to ownlike Dissidia and Tactics Ogre.

For years we had to listen to Sony lament that piracy killed the PSP, yet it did respectably well for a first attempt at a handheld in a Nintendo dominated market. Now they have a piracy proof system and it seems to be doing _worse_. Who wants to bet the 3DS sales went up around the time a flash cart became available and will continue steadily as it becomes more accessible?

XDel likes this.
  2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    No. Just look at the number of people who pirate. Pirates are negligible for total sales. It might provide a tiny boost, but nothing really noticeable.

3. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    You're dumb. I just had to say it.

Getting that out of the way: piracy and hombrew users ultimately makes up a super small percent of the market. You seem to believe that because you pirate and use homebrew, everybody must, which is blatantly wrong. Even Sony knows piracy isn't that big. They simply blamed it because it was a nice scapegoat for the system doing poorly that pushed responsibility off of their shoulders. Where the 3DS is concerned, the rise in system sales would be negligible at best, if it even existed to begin with.

4. Master X

Master X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    He's just running on Sony had said - That piracy ruined the psp.

It's just ironic that Sony said piracy killed the psp, yet the Vita - Which currently can't be pirated - is dying. It's funny because now they will have to come up with a real excuse, and it's likely to be true for the psp as well, more so then their piracy excuse ever was.

Sony screamed pirates to cover up a lackluster console, when piracy actually had nothing to do with it.

5. emigre
    This message by emigre has been removed from public view by raulpica, Dec 27, 2014, Reason: Not an imageboard -rp.
    Dec 26, 2014
  6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i would love to see what happen if a company sold a console with no games on it (maybe 1 or 2 inbuilt), no drm or protection, and tell the players: "now you build custom firmware and use\make all the homebrew you want"

would it sell?

7. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    You mean an Ouya?

MajinCubyan likes this.
  8. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London

Ouya? :tpi:

migles likes this.
  9. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    dont let lightykd hear you

TyBlood13 likes this.
  10. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    doesn't count since its android, which already was a thing...

11. yifan_lu

yifan_lu @yifanlu

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    Pirates and hackers like to stroke their own ego by thinking either they're killing the system or helping it. Truth is, most people don't care either way. If Sony is asked directly if piracy hurt sales, of course they'll say yes. But unprompted, they don't care. Truth is Vita is tanking because of a lack of first party support. That's all to it. 3DS wasn't doing too hot until Nintendo injected it with a ton of first party love. Sales went up and third party developers came along.

SLiV3R likes this.
  12. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Here's Lighty!!!

soulx likes this.
  13. Mark McDonut

Mark McDonut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    It may not have caused it, but having proprietary card storage formats in a day where we already have so many existing flash memory cards, it pushes an image of a company who wants to cash in on useless required add-on hardware instead of innovating.

I love that I can pop the sd card out of my phone or other numerous portables I have, copy files to it, reinsert it, and i don't have to tether the whole system to my pc.

They really seem to have taken a step backwards with the convenience and what they're charging for storage is ridiculous considering home consoles now support usb flash mediums.

Lying about features of a device will also chase people from it which they are also guilty of.

Times are changing.