1. 4,785

Front-page
    fzYzCxQ.png

Just as they did last year, Sony will not be making an appearance at this year's E3. Despite the imminent launch of the PlayStation 5 at the end of 2020, Sony believes that, "[they] do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue for what we are focused on this year". This will be the first E3 in which Sony doesn't show off their new console, with the reveal of all previous PlayStation systems having taken place during the event, in years prior.

Rather than focus on E3, Sony plans on marketing the PS5 at consumer shows, where fans can be more directly involved, rather than E3, which has always leaned more towards the gaming industry itself. This means that PlayStation games will not be revealed at E3, nor will any first party PlayStation content be available to demo on the show floor in Los Angeles this summer.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (71 replies)

3. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

United States
    So...are you going to get the scoop when you get word?

4. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Either they don't want Microsoft to see what they've done yet, or they might be trying to figure out what they can remove to hit the xbox price point.

Briyoda likes this.
  5. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    I'd just like to let my suffering be known

In 2017, PlayStation invited GBAtemp to their E3 event. When I got to the door, they kicked me out because I was 20--too young to be let into a venue serving alcohol.

In 2018, PlayStation invited less than 100 media to their E3 event, because they had to move all the reporters to a different building, just for the TLOU2 showcase, and it required bussing people from one location to another, and was a mess. We didn't go.

In 2019 they skipped.

2020 they're skipping.

I will likely never get the chance to attend a PS E3 event...all because I was 4 months too young to be in a building where wine was served in 2017.

I cri evritiem

6. H1B1Esquire

United States
    Probably not that--it's probably more likely they just want to go to different venues they can control with precision.
    I'm sure there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes the general public knows nothing about, such as: how much it costs to transport the goods, hiring event staff (like security, who may or may not have concealed weapons), allotting time for patrons to demo PS5.

Logically: big venue with a lot of people=a lot of angry people who vied at a chance to play PS5 and didn't because some scumlord used fiver to have a dude w8 in line 4 him.

If anything, Sony is taking a cue from Nintendo, who skipped an E3 once and focused on pop-up tour buses (or busses, google it) that let college kids play Switch.

can't be fucked to find the first one, but this article mentions September was the beginning of the second tour:
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09/26/nintendo-is-doing-another-switch-college-tour-this-fall/

Maybe some of those locations are going to get re-used? IDK, I don't work for Sony...I think.
    -----
    We do this to you on purpose. Remember those FUN Sonic days on Twitch? Yeah, we did it on purpose....including that time we made you think you killed Shadow...but you love it, you masochist.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    alexander1970 likes this.
  7. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    I have a bad feeling about this...

8. ombus

ombus GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Sony feels sad because microsoft and nintendo are getting along really well recently...
    whatever sony does... Just dont copy nintendo. think for yourself plz.

edit: You can bet there will be a state of play on that date.

yoyoyo69 likes this.
  9. abilaunken

abilaunken Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    Nintendo has drop e3 to show that they dont need to compete or fight against sony /microsoft.
    And now sony may think the same, i dont need to be compare with microsoft , im the fucking playstation. =D

10. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Of which this attitude, at least for the mainstream consoles, is usually why one generation has one being the leader most, if not all of the times, and then it switches up when the winner of the previous console war gets too cocky!

11. Chizko

Chizko GBAtemp Fan

Chile
    I suppose Sony want major control of their product or more support for the event and ESA say no....

12. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Togo
    E3 could help them build hype for ps5.

13. _DrBecks_

_DrBecks_ Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Ah ... I see … there are no games to show. Good start

14. campbell0505

campbell0505 Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    I don't really understand this, wouldn't it be good for them to do E3 in order to market to people who aren't usually Playstation people? (e.g people attending E3 for other things). I get that it probably takes quite a bit of money to appear at E3, but to them it wouldn't be much (as in they're a big corporation) and they'd probably gain some fans.

Just hope Nintendo doesn't pull out for whatever reason, their stuff is usually my favourite part of E3.

15. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    So why aren't they?

16. _DrBecks_

_DrBecks_ Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Nintendo proved already that they don’t need E3 to present their stuff. Nintendo Direct Is the way to go

17. H1B1Esquire

United States
    I kind of don't know what you don't know....um....can you rephrase the question in a question, @smf ?

Best I can put it: This has nothing to do with M$.

18. campbell0505

campbell0505 Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    Oh yeah, definitely, directs are big hits, I just think E3 would also be good for them to catch a wider range of people. Plus with E3 it let's people play unreleased games (e.g luigi's mansion 3 before it released.)

19. WiiHomebrew+Snes

WiiHomebrew+Snes GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hey, at least you got into e3. The only playstation e3 thing I've experienced irl is the one I used to fix my bad NAND ps3.

20. campbell0505

campbell0505 Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    I’m just waiting for the sequel: E4.

We’ve been stuck on the 3rd gen E for a while.

MarcusCarter likes this.
  21. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Maniac

Mexico
    Every time Sony has a successful gen their heads go straight up their asses.

nccom, CamulaHikari, Chary and 2 others like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlayStation, skipping, consumer