PS1/2 Sony invegstigates PS3 hack allegations...

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
If the hack is anywhere as good as the guy says it is, then sony most likely won't be able to patch it.
But if they somehow accomplish it, it'll still take a while for them to do it.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
You might want to get a mod to change the topic title, "Sonic" you put instead of "Sony"
But anyway, I doubt it'll get patched before the exploit is actually released and there will most likely be workarounds.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Or they just bring a FW update that breaks the whole PS3 functionality
smile.gif
Seems as they have experience with that lol
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...ing&page=17

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Geohot said that the theory behind the hack was perfectly sound i.e. cannot be blocked by firmware updates, what will cause trouble is blocking exploits used to apply the hack

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
incgamers didnt rat any one out
they attempted too but this was on every news site as soon as it was revealed

anyway I would take anything they say with a grain of salt
unless it appears on some big name site confirming it

lilbro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
incgamers didnt rat any one out
they attempted too but this was on every news site as soon as it was revealed

anyway I would take anything they say with a grain of salt
unless it appears on some big name site confirming it
Do you consider gametrailers a big name site?

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I agree with Blue Zoidberg. I really want a PS2 emu on my PS3. See, its these stupid stuff that sony does is what makes people want to hack their systems(PSP).

Good thing that I'll be getting my PS3 next week anyways. As soon as I heard about the exploit I was like, hmm... Their going to make a new type of PS3 obviously lol.

sonoranreptile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes me glad I got a launch model 60gb and a swap magic DVD. I have played Black and Call of Duty World at War Final Fronts off of USB hard drive with no problems. Cut scenes are glitchy, but gameplay is perfecto.....

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
sonoranreptile said:
Makes me glad I got a launch model 60gb and a swap magic DVD. I have played Black and Call of Duty World at War Final Fronts off of USB hard drive with no problems. Cut scenes are glitchy, but gameplay is perfecto.....

There's such thing on the PS3? Wow, never heard of them. I hope this hack would make us able to play games off of the HD and play PS2 games(well in the report it says that the hack is able to play PS2 games) but the main thing I want is PS2 games being able to play dammit. I don't feel like forking up another 100$ to go and buy one =/.

MercilessDeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are they gonna do about it? As far as I know, the dude just said that he'd hacked it, and didn't release any of the stuff he had. Which, if he's not lying, is pretty smart because it can give some time to make sure that this won't be something that gets patched by 3.20 or whatever firmware would be next. PSP hacking was pretty solid until Sony got a lead and now the scene seems like it's playing catchup.

moosh01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is reading way too much into this. For one GeoHotz has not even revealed the exploit/hack/vulnerability. If the /// didn't give it away, no one, not even Sony knows where the weak point in their system is, exept for GoeHotz, at the moment. And if you think that Sony can just go in and patch it, they can't. Their employees who's only job is to find flaws with their security don't know what it is. If they had known it would of been patched or fixed long ago.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sonoranreptile said:

The next version of Open PS2 Loader will be able to load games via network on ps3s*. Maybe even via wfi. Loading via network is about twice as fast as loading via usb.

*Only the ones that play ps2 games, maybe even only the ones with both ps2 chips(==very 1st gen, USA and Japan only)

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
actually geohot has released all the info and his way of hacking it and the exploit on his blog, and for those who say someone "snitched" it even said on G4TV that geohot, the guy who jailbroke the iphone, claims he has hacked the ps3, no its not like this news is nowhere to be found

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh too bad for Sony, hopefully they find a way to block it by some form of update that attacks the ways to get to this exploit since the maker claims it is sound. Sony really doesn't need another PSP bomb on their hands right now.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I know I was mostly thinking of regular bi-weekly updates or whatever to lock down holes as they arrive, that and banning accounts like MS does.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the PS3 gets hacked to play backups or homebrew easily, it might actually boost PS3 sales.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.