Sony finally allows crossplay in Fortnite, other titles coming soon

FN.jpg

Over the last few months, there has been much controversy over Sony's approach to cross-platform multiplayer. From locking gamers to their own platform in Fortnite to claiming that Playstation is the superior platform, Playstation have had a plethora of excuses to justify their decisions.

Today, Sony published a blog post on their official blog, announcing that they are finally looking into the matter. Starting from today, Fortnite players on Playstation 4 will be able to play with other players on Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Windows, and Mac. Right now, it is being called an 'open beta', and Sony is still claiming that playing is 'best on Playstation'.

Sony will also be looking into crossplay in other third-party titles in the future.

Following a comprehensive evaluation process, SIE has identified a path toward supporting cross-platform features for select third party content. We recognize that PS4 players have been eagerly awaiting an update, and we appreciate the community’s continued patience as we have navigated through this issue to find a solution.

The first step will be an open beta beginning today for Fortnite that will allow for cross platform gameplay, progression and commerce across PlayStation 4, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac operating systems. We see the beta as an opportunity to conduct thorough testing that ensures cross-platform play is best on PlayStation, while being mindful about the user experience from both a technical and social perspective.

For 24 years, we have strived to deliver the best gaming experience to our fans by providing a uniquely PlayStation perspective. Today, the communities around some games have evolved to the point where cross-platform experiences add significant value to players. In recognition of this, we have completed a thorough analysis of the business mechanics required to ensure that the PlayStation experience for our users remains intact today, and in the future, as we look to open up the platform.

This represents a major policy change for SIE, and we are now in the planning process across the organization to support this change. We will update the community once we have more details to share, including more specifics regarding the beta timeframe, and what this means for other titles going forward.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

That's good to hear, I suppose, but it's still rather arrogant of them to keep claiming that the game is best played on their own system without any valid claims to back it up. I know it's all PR and all that jazz, but it's still bound to rub everyone the wrong way.

Besides, does this fix the other issue people were having with Fortnite on the PS4 where people were having their accounts locked to the PS4 version of the game? This looks like it only fixes part of the problem.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a lot of friends who would rather play stuff on PC, so this makes bortz a happy spider. Hopefully Warframe is one of the titles to follow suit.

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This is great news! I'm happy for everyone that this helps.
My brother was very upset that he couldn't use his PS4 Fortnite account on Switch, so this will be great for him. And, now I can play with my Xbox friends.
A bit late, Sony, but good job nonetheless!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Be careful when going to Wordpress sites, since plugins can easily be exploited with malware.