Sony expects PS5 shortages to continue into next year

ps5-play-has-no-limits-video-thumb-01-en-11jun20.jpg

Those of you who have been waiting patiently for the Playstation 5 shortage to end may have to wait a little bit longer. In a briefing with analysts, Sony's Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki warned that due to the high demand and shortage of essential components like semiconductors, they would unable to provide an estimate as to when their supply issues might clear up. “I don’t think demand is calming down this year and even if we secure a lot more devices and produce many more units of the PlayStation 5 next year, our supply wouldn’t be able to catch up with demand,” said the CFO, according to several anonymous analysts from the call who spoke to Bloomberg.

However, it seems the PS5 is keeping on pace with its predecessor in terms of sales. Sony's latest earnings report claims that the PS5 has sold 7.8 million units by March 31, 2021, while Playstation 4 sales hit 7.6 million in the timeframe. Based on this, Totoki is confident that demand will stay high, even as their earnings report shows lower numbers of monthly active Playstation Network users as COVID-19 lockdown restrictions loosen--109 million this quarter, down from 114 million the previous quarter. “We have sold more than 100 million units of the PlayStation 4 and considering our market share and reputation, I can’t imagine demand dropping easily.”

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

To be fair, Scalpers wouldn't go anywhere if people weren't accepting their prices.

It's easy to put hate on people trying to make a quick buck at one's expense but, judging by the Comment throughput of this Forum, if the shoe were on the other foot, plenty here would justify being Scalpers themselves.

Somehow, though, the given argument here is that Scalpers are something that can be controlled whereas fellow Consumers who support them aren't. Funny how that is.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
which means xbox series x will be rare as well. as well as amd and nvidia stock. intel isn't a good buy, meh on their 14++++ fabs.

man, the tech world really does run on TSMC right now, doesn't it?

Why is an Intel not a good buy ? Does that mean AMD and Nvidia are the best ones ? Sorry about the off topic but I am curious.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Microsoft has a great opportunity, if Starfield, Forza Horizon and Halo all launch this year and they are all good... that could be massive for them.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Somehow, though, the given argument here is that Scalpers are something that can be controlled whereas fellow Consumers who support them aren't. Funny how that is.

You mean if we ban scalpers then you won't all hold off buying a ps5 so I can get mine first?

Outrageous.

Reactions: Xzi

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scalpers aren't preventing anyone from owning one, they are preventing you from owning one at RRP.

It doesn't help the Scalper if they are sitting unsold. So it's just that richer people have gotten them.

If scalpers didn't exist then you'd be back to most loyal customers being unable to own one because they were sold to people who were more motivated than you.
the people who "were more motivated than you" just so happen to be super loyal customers.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gasp, imagine my shock and surprise. I'm lucky I was able to grab one towards launch, but honestly at the rate devs are pumping out actual PS5 games and not just shitty up-ports you might as well not bother trying to buy one until shortages are resolved anyways ;O;
Ya... thanks for trying to make people feel better. The ps5 was a very needed upgrade, I would love one. Ghost of Tsushima at 60 fps and demons souls is enough for me right now. I have the series x already, and its impossible for me to go back to a one s.

Last edited by kevin corms,

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On gbatemp I'd expect people to be upset they can't spend $500 on a launch console so they can put it in a cupboard just in case there is an exploit in a few years that lets them get free games.
ay, it's free games
who would pass that up?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ay, it's free games
who would pass that up?

Would be better if you could get it less than RRP ;-)

the people who "were more motivated than you" just so happen to be super loyal customers.

Right, that was my point.

There haven't been enough ps5 manufactured for every super loyal customer to get one, all that has happened is that money is being used to decide who gets one first rather than how quickly you jump on a web site. Pretty much the same number of people will get one.

Last edited by smf,

Izual Urashima

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Sony won't be able to do anything against scalpers. Like no one has ever been able to do anything against them.

Let's be honest here - Any popular product is scalped since years (as far as I can remember, it already was a popular move in 90s), and no scalp will be blocked in effective ways outside of arresting one or another scalper, which won't change a thing since another will take his place.

On Sony's side, it can be a pain though, since all those consoles are lesser profits in the long term (between consoles taking a longer time to be effectively sold and used, and the amount they gain on PSN). I wouldn't be surprised to have numbers be crunched to make PS5 appear more successful than it actually is.

Anyone motivated enough to dig into numbers ?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Gasp, imagine my shock and surprise. I'm lucky I was able to grab one towards launch, but honestly at the rate devs are pumping out actual PS5 games and not just shitty up-ports you might as well not bother trying to buy one until shortages are resolved anyways ;O;
Yeah if not for the fact that I was specifically waiting on performance upgrades to some PS4 titles before playing them, PS5 wouldn't have been worth picking up early for me.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would be better if you could get it less than RRP ;-)

Right, that was my point.

There haven't been enough ps5 manufactured for every super loyal customer to get one, all that has happened is that money is being used to decide who gets one first rather than how quickly you jump on a web site. Pretty much the same number of people will get one.
Super loyal customers getting their console is still far better than retard scalpers getting all of them and reselling them back to you at an absurdly high price.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and now I have even more reason to hate that the FF7 R expansion is exclusive to the fucking ps5...I have the money...but I am never available for the what... half a second that's in stock again before it's gone?

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Why is an Intel not a good buy ? Does that mean AMD and Nvidia are the best ones ? Sorry about the off topic but I am curious.
Intel, AMD and Nvidia are good buys. For cpu, on top tier intel is losing in performance right now, but AMD has much low availability.

On gpu side, both Nvidia and AMD are struggling with availability. Nvidia has the best gpu right now at an insane price.

On mid range at any given price point and given location there is different a winner, so you may end up with intel on your optimal set up or not.

Keep in mind that overall it is a bad time to buy pc parts.

Reactions: spotanjo3

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sigh, going to keep my eye out longer and then just suck it off and buy it off a scalper and just use the excuse well instead of buying other random shit I put that money into a ps5

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr