Sony expects PS5 shortages to continue into next year

ps5-play-has-no-limits-video-thumb-01-en-11jun20.jpg

Those of you who have been waiting patiently for the Playstation 5 shortage to end may have to wait a little bit longer. In a briefing with analysts, Sony's Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki warned that due to the high demand and shortage of essential components like semiconductors, they would unable to provide an estimate as to when their supply issues might clear up. “I don’t think demand is calming down this year and even if we secure a lot more devices and produce many more units of the PlayStation 5 next year, our supply wouldn’t be able to catch up with demand,” said the CFO, according to several anonymous analysts from the call who spoke to Bloomberg.

However, it seems the PS5 is keeping on pace with its predecessor in terms of sales. Sony's latest earnings report claims that the PS5 has sold 7.8 million units by March 31, 2021, while Playstation 4 sales hit 7.6 million in the timeframe. Based on this, Totoki is confident that demand will stay high, even as their earnings report shows lower numbers of monthly active Playstation Network users as COVID-19 lockdown restrictions loosen--109 million this quarter, down from 114 million the previous quarter. “We have sold more than 100 million units of the PlayStation 4 and considering our market share and reputation, I can’t imagine demand dropping easily.”

:arrow: Source

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 words fuck scalpers, anyways the government(s) need a better handle on the scalping situation laws need to be passed arrest need to be made once the first few arrest are made pretty sure scalping ps5,series and GPU's will stop because the risk is too high (besides doubt those guys will be paying taxes anyways)

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tru, but with how many scalpers snatched those consoles software sales are going to be bad to say the least

Unless you work for make a wish foundation or you or your kids have a terminal illness, then paying a scalper more than rrp for a ps5 is your own stupid fault.

I doubt people will spend double on a ps5 and then not buy any software, that would also be stupid. If anything they will buy more games to justify what they did spend.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Only for their customers. Sony is making bank because PS5 is outselling PS4 within the same time frame.
WE are the customers. WE buy their products, and WE give them our money.
Even if Sony still earns quite a lot from the sales, it doesn't change the fact that most(if not almost all) of their loyal customers can't even own a PS5 right now.
The scalpers should be fully blamed for it.

Really, what can be good about a Year One of a console when you can't even buy the console itself?

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
tru, but with how many scalpers snatched those consoles software sales are going to be bad to say the least
You'd think, but a lot of people already bought from scalpers, and a lot more people will be willing to buy from them with the news that shortages might continue to 2023. It's not any easier to find a Series X or PC GPU for retail price.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hate scalpers for making it impossible for me to spend $500 on a console with no games I want to play (and $80 games, at that).

On gbatemp I'd expect people to be upset they can't spend $500 on a launch console so they can put it in a cupboard just in case there is an exploit in a few years that lets them get free games.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel sorry for people who are trying to get their hands on PS5. Blame scalpers for they are selfish and greedy. I hope you guys are getting them this year. Don't give up.

Reactions: Deleted User

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it doesn't change the fact that most(if not almost all) of their loyal customers can't even own a PS5 right now.
The scalpers should be fully blamed for it.

Scalpers aren't preventing anyone from owning one, they are preventing you from owning one at RRP.

It doesn't help the Scalper if they are sitting unsold. So it's just that richer people have gotten them.

If scalpers didn't exist then you'd be back to most loyal customers being unable to own one because they were sold to people who were more motivated than you.

Last edited by smf,

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The scalpers just take an unfortunate situation and make it smell like a turd. I've started keeping an eye out for the PS5 but it looks like I shouldn't plan on having much success there for some time.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
which means xbox series x will be rare as well. as well as amd and nvidia stock. intel isn't a good buy, meh on their 14++++ fabs.

man, the tech world really does run on TSMC right now, doesn't it?

Reactions: swosho and Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s