Sony Ericsson Xperia Play hits Verizon for $200 on May 26

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Terminator02, May 17, 2011.

1. Terminator02
    OP

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    [​IMG]
    It may not have been the first in the world to get it, but Verizon can now at least claim to be the first US carrier to offer the long fabled, oft-leaked PlayStation Phone, otherwise known as the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play. It will be available for pre-order on the carrier's website starting May 19th, and be available in stores on May 26th for the usual $199.99 on a two-year contract. That, of course, gets you the first PlayStation Certified handset with console-style controls -- a real D-pad and PlayStation face and shoulder buttons, plus a pair of miniature touchpads for dual-analog gameplay on the go. You'll also get seven games pre-loaded on the device (including Madden NFL 11 and The Sims 3) but, as we saw in our recent hands-on with the Verizon version of the phone, you won't get Sony Ericsson's custom skin -- the carrier has instead opted for a mostly stock UI with only some SE wallpapers and widgets. As Verizon also notes, those opting for the phone will have to sign up for both a Nationwide Talk plan and a smartphone data package as well, the former of which start at $39.99 a month, while an unlimited data plan will run you $29.99. Head on past the break for the full press release.[/p]
    [​IMG] Source (Engadget)

2. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    I recently sold my HTC Desire, because of continuous reboot problems upon changing motherboards and shit, and went back to my Nokia 5700, even though I'm not a Sony fan anymore, I might consider buying this phone, but I'll wait for reviews first.

EDIT: One reason being, I like to stay "unique", as in different from my family members, i.e. having something which I KNOW none of my family members will get. Just my thoughts [​IMG]

3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    God, how much I hate carrier logos. Custom carrier cases grind my gears to the extreme. I don't want a Verizon logo on my expensive piece of hardware - I want a Sony Ericsson logo on it! When will they learn that this is *not* a good idea to alter something that's not broken? What purpose does it serve? I already bought the phone - it's not like I need an advertisement for Verizon on a phone I already purchased. A custom OS skin is another no-no - they're usually buggy as hell and fugly. Why, oh why do you do this, carriers? You're intentionally lowering the value of your product.

Now that I finished ranting, fairly okay starter price.

4. chrisrlink

Member chrisrlink Rouge Temper

United States
    -drools- but seriously i wonder how cheap the fees will be especially data and web cause of the games

5. SamAsh07

Bahrain
    I guess that problem resides in US only (and some others I'm not aware of), the phones that come here are NEVER tagged with carrier names. Just the company name and thats it.

6. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    In Poland it's a freaking plague. Even phones that are sold for 35 US cents (aprox. 1 zloty) on contract get annoying logos on them and they always come with that annoying custom skin that makes you wanna flash the phone 15 seconds after you turned it on.

7. SamAsh07

Bahrain
    Whoa, that does sound annoying...luckily nothing like this is here [​IMG]

8. mechagouki

Member mechagouki Kill 'em all...

Canada
    It's available for $99 on a 3 year contract with Rogers here in Canada.

9. jerome27

Banned jerome27 Banned

United States
    I was interested in this until I read the early reviews. The early reviews have been terrible and this is definitely not the playstation phone people wanted.

10. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Eh.... so tempted.

That's a lot cheaper than I thought. I do want an Android phone, but kinda like my Blackberry.

I don't know. Maybe eventually.

11. SamAsh07

Bahrain
    Wait....which OS does this phone run??? Android?

12. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Ah, yes. Because you need someone to tell you what's good and what's not. The only "bad" points this phone has that were pointed out in the reviews I've read so far were its camera with the lack of 720p support... which is not a big shame, since it's not a darn camcorder in the first place, a "dim" screen which I find hard to believe and not too much content out yet which is blatantly obvious since it was just released, and 50 titles on launch day is a LOAD of content for a typical launch, so I don't see the issue.

The phone is superior to anything in its price range, don't believe everything you read.

They could've done better, but they could've done ALOT worse too.

13. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    yerp

and, as foxi said, the only negatives i've heard are lack of content, dim screen, and bad video recording

the only one i'm seriously worried about is the dim screen, i'm gonna check that out in a verizon store to check, seems fishy

14. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    From that statement I understood that Verizon will be supplying the phones with their stock UI instead of Sony Ericsson's. Am I in the wrong here? Please, tell me I'm wrong - that'll make me happy.

15. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    no, android's stock UI

16. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Sony Ericsson did not modify the user interface of Android at all with their new Xperia Arc, Play, and Neo devices. They only added a handful of their own widgets and included some backgrounds. This isn't exclusive to Verizon either, my Xperia Arc from Rogers has the same thing. It's practically stock Android skinned with some Sony Ericsson backgrounds.

17. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    they most definitely do skin it, i can only assume rogers did the same thing verizon did, look at the first video on this shitty review

that isn't stock

18. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    My bro has one of these, he's rooted it and got all kinds of android emulators installed.
    It's a fantastic little device.

19. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Funny, it's 99 dollars here in Canada on a 3 year contract, so it's double the price for one less year on your term? That's a rip off to me.

20. SamAsh07

Bahrain
    Ah so it runs Android, nice...

And about dim screen problem, I don't mind, my brightness settings are always set at level 1 (minimum) on every handheld/phone I own.