XP
Country
United States
it might not be 100% on sony with the support drop for the apps

the vita maps app its a Google map app
and
youtube is Google owned

Google might not support the vita apps anymore
Google wants you to use the Google web site for maps and mobile youtube for youtube

Pretty much this, I'd wager it's more Google dropping support than Sony dropping support.

But oooh no, VITA SUX VITA SHUD DIE OMG PLS KILL ALRDY SONY :cry:

:rolleyes:

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
How come they are dropping Vita support, device that actually has really good screen and processing power, but then keep supporting 3DS version which runs videos at 144p or similar and can't play 3D videos either despite the actual 3D screen and all.
I never used Maps and Near always pestered me that I have found deserted location, but the bloody thing still has GPS build in which is now basically even more useless than it was.

Both services were provided by google so maybe they are just using their own resources better than on proprierary handheld console.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
But oooh no, VITA SUX VITA SHUD DIE OMG PLS KILL ALRDY SONY :cry:

:rolleyes:

Complaining about GBAtemp bandwagoning against a non-Nintendo platform is like complaining about a Nintendo game being shit: It's your fault for not expecting it. :lol:

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same happens with 3DS XL screens. and besides that I'm not gonna be convinced until I see firsthand a Vita 2000 in action, I'm not very fond of compare screens with photos, is very different when you see it in person, 3DS vs XL photos overexaggerated the yellow tint effect.

I just got a slim vita, it was the version of vita I was always dead set on getting because I really wanted that USB charging port among other reasons. I was not swayed by the comparison photos. Big mistake,as now I feel only disappointment. I actually think the comparisons kind of deter from the real issue (despite me having just posted a comparison photo) the issue being that the screen sucks, not merely that the OLED screen is better. When I get my OLED vita in the mail in a few days, then I will be certain of the full extent of the slim vita's sucktitide. We'll see.

p.s.I never heard of any yellow screen issues with the 3DS/XL. I didn't really notice any issues with my XL screen other than if you play 2 Fast 4 Gnomz demo, there is a massive amount of motion blur / ghosting.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So let me get this straight. We are finally getting to the point of HTML5 replacing the need of dedicated apps for certain platforms (FINALLY!) and people will complain about it? :wtf:

Maps and YouTube were good on the PSVita, but frankly, they were far less used on my Vita than most other apps, not to mention the phone I have with me most of the time.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
OP
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I just got a slim vita, it was the version of vita I was always dead set on getting because I really wanted that USB charging port among other reasons. I was not swayed by the comparison photos. Big mistake,as now I feel only disappointment. I actually think the comparisons kind of deter from the real issue (despite me having just posted a comparison photo) the issue being that the screen sucks, not merely that the OLED screen is better. When I get my OLED vita in the mail in a few days, then I will be certain of the full extent of the slim vita's sucktitide. We'll see.

p.s.I never heard of any yellow screen issues with the 3DS/XL. I didn't really notice any issues with my XL screen other than if you play 2 Fast 4 Gnomz demo, there is a massive amount of motion blur / ghosting.

Fair enough, as I never seen a Vita 2000 I can't say much so I'll take your word.

Now on the 3DS side. also happens with regular 3DS manufactured after certain date that I don't know.
KrTwHZj.jpg

3DS-General1.jpeg

So let me get this straight. We are finally getting to the point of HTML5 replacing the need of dedicated apps for certain platforms (FINALLY!) and people will complain about it? :wtf:

Maps and YouTube were good on the PSVita, but frankly, they were far less used on my Vita than most other apps, not to mention the phone I have with me most of the time.

Most web pages have an app design on mobile devices and can do almost the same that their respective apps now. with emphasis in almost.
Not such a big deal but, one of the features of the Vita Youtube app that even had *before the smartphone app was the ability to read comments while viewing the video, the only other platform that could do it at the time was.... well.... the almighty PC.
If they adjust that(which I say is impossible with the current Browser app) then the Youtube app would be redundant.

*Don't remember exactly but I think was before.

Reactions: zeello

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There is actually a very real and legitimate reason for why these apps are going to disappear, and it is a fairly simple one.

Google provides information that Sony's apps use, by means of an API (or Application Program Interface). Interfaces like these allow for all kinds of integrations - especially including apps like these - however in the case of an online API, must be accessible in order to be useful. Now, Google actually deprecated two versions of their APIs, for YouTube and Google Maps respectively, both of which are to be officially discontinued on - You guessed it - April the 20th, 2015.

List of Google Maps APIs subject to deprecation (on April 20th, 2015).
YouTube developer blog post detailing the API deprecation.

So what is actually happening is that Sony does not feel that it is worth the time and money to update these apps - and believe me, such updates can entail total rewrites so this is not even remotely a selfish move on their part.
This is similar to the deprecation of GameSpy a few years ago which forced Nintendo's old WFC to shut down.

Neither spells, or will ever spell, the doom for a particular company or service offering.

Reactions: Sakitoshi and BORTZ

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Youtube apps usually suck anyway. If you can still get to it through the browser, no big loss. Assuming the browser doesn't suck (the ones on PS3 and PSP did).

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough, as I never seen a Vita 2000 I can't say much so I'll take your word.

Now on the 3DS side. also happens with regular 3DS manufactured after certain date that I don't know.
KrTwHZj.jpg

3DS-General1.jpeg
It's a conspiracy!!! All the screens are going yellow! Probably to make us buy more games, or some other b.s. psychological reason.

Reactions: Sakitoshi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021