Sony Drops Youtube and Maps on PS Vita

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
If this is a deciding factor for you in deciding whether or not to get a Vita, then you clearly didn't want to buy a Vita to begin with and are excuse hunting to keep from buying it.

The youtube app isn't a deciding factor but Sony dropping support should be something you factor in. If they're dropping shit now, what will the state of the Vita be in a few years? I'm very disappointed by the potential of what this announcement suggests. I'm playing Persona 4 Golden on my Vita at the moment and its a BEAUTIFUL experience. The game is excellent, the connectivity with the internet is flawless. Coming in and out of the game to browse the net, check the PS Store is amazing.

10x better than my 3DS.

why why why why why Sony did you drop support for what could have been a beautiful machine. Please pump some money into the Vita, release 5 solid exclusives using your solid IPs like GOW and Metal Gear and then bundle it with PS4s for an affordable bundle (maybe a crossplay bundle).

I really think the Vita can still be turned around in the West. The big generic shitty games are perfect for the Vita and consumers over here buy PS4s and Xbox Ones for them and would buy a Vita too.

As soon as I saw the Vita 2000, I feared the future and support for the Vita was bleak. I hope I'm wrong, I really do but I just can't see games like P4G, Uncharted, Gravity Rush etc. coming to the Vita post 2015.

purupuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just preordered htol#niq. I love my Vita. It's too bad Sony has done such a miserable job with marketing. It's as if they didn't have any idea what to do with this amazing divice they created. As for YouTube and maps who really gives a crap? If I want to watch YouTube or use a maps app it sure as hell isn't going to my Vita that I pull out.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I still to this day have no idea what the fuck "near" is and I am a day one Vita adopter. Discontinuing youtube is a shame even though I never used it once as for maps did anyone ever use that on a vita? lol

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still to this day have no idea what the fuck "near" is and I am a day one Vita adopter. Discontinuing youtube is a shame even though I never used it once as for maps did anyone ever use that on a vita? lol
It's supposed to be some cheap imitation of 3ds streetpass, both which are useless imo.

Reactions: p1ngpong

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
OP
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
It's supposed to be some cheap imitation of 3ds streetpass, both which are useless imo.

Not as useless. You can get items for games that use the functionality, some games even have trophies associated to share items though Near.
Streetpass gives little to no rewards, which is good, you'll lose near to nothing once Streetpass die.

I'm with emigre too, this year is full of weaboo gaemz to enjoy. Is just that it was a pleasure to see Youtube videos though the solid app on dat OLED screen, but I can get used to browse to Youtube.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very unfortunate and alarming as this is the first solid sign of carelessness of Sony towards the Vita.

what? no it isn't.. The slim model happened first and is a much bigger act of carelessness. I actually think it is what will kill the vita. I couldnt really care less about YouTube.. but on the other hand I suppose this is a big deal for those who don't have an android or iOS device.

Sakitoshi

OP
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
You have no idea what Streetpass is... Do you?
Pokemon X/Y: you gain pokemiles that can be redeemed or transferred to pgl for items you can obtain in game anyway.
The Legend of Zelda ALBW: you can fight dark Links for rupees that as always grow at trees grass.
Mario Kart 7: you can receive ghosts to beat and Miis to challenge that can be utterly annoying throwing perfect bananas or bombs at your face.
Super Smash Bros 3DS: you can play a minigame to earn coins which can be obtained in all the other modes of gameplay.
the list goes on...

The only game I can think that gives a real benefit and almost made it mandatory is Bravely Default which use streetpass to hire workers to upgrade you shops quicker than usual.

what? no it isn't.. The slim model happened first and is a much bigger act of carelessness. I actually think it is what will kill the vita. I couldnt really care less about YouTube.. but on the other hand I suppose this is a big deal for those who don't have an android or iOS device.
now a revision of a product is a sign of carelessness?? I'm really sure the PS2 had full support when they replaced the more functional phat for the puny slim. same goes for PS3, and had 2 revisions.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now a revision of a product is a sign of carelessness??
It's the screen though. It's not just that it's worse than OLED. The screen on the slim Vita isn't even normal. It's as though the LCD was installed behind a yellow stained glass window or something. It may not be immediately noticeable, but the subliminal effect makes it all the more damaging imo. I can't imagine that many of the people who incidentally bought the slim model will still be using it for any length of time. They are basically guaranteed to drop the Vita in a few months if not sooner, because a screen which makes everything muted and barf colored will easily wear down anyone's enthusiasm.

http://i.imgur.com/csQQ2Ok.jpg
/Sony butchering their own brand

p.s. I remember when Vita was announced, Sony stated it will focus more on gaming this time around and less on multimedia. Kinda funny then how today the loss the youtube app is considered a big deal. :P
But, understandably, it doesn't exactly build confidence in the Vita at this point in time for Sony to suddenly drop one of its features.

Sakitoshi

OP
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
It's as though the LCD was installed behind a yellow stained glass window or something. It may not be immediately noticeable, but the subliminal effect makes it all the more damaging imo.
The same happens with 3DS XL screens. and besides that I'm not gonna be convinced until I see firsthand a Vita 2000 in action, I'm not very fond of compare screens with photos, is very different when you see it in person, 3DS vs XL photos overexaggerated the yellow tint effect.

p.s. I remember when Vita was announced, Sony stated it will focus more on gaming this time around and less on multimedia. Kinda funny then how today the loss the youtube app is considered a big deal. :P
But, understandably, it doesn't exactly build confidence in the Vita at this point in time for Sony to suddenly drop one of its features.

I didn't remember that but if is true then Sony is just fulfilling his promise(?)....... I guess :unsure:.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Streetpass gives little to no rewards, which is good, you'll lose near to nothing once Streetpass die.

That depends on the developer entirely. Streetpass is a framework to allow data exchange between titles on different systems. There are games where it is very useful.
Also it can't easily "die". It's not maintained on a server or something.
Don't really know what near is but it it seems useless and most people agree. Especially with how many Vita owners are out there.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Pokemon X/Y: you gain pokemiles that can be redeemed or transferred to pgl for items you can obtain in game anyway.
The Legend of Zelda ALBW: you can fight dark Links for rupees that as always grow at trees grass.
Mario Kart 7: you can receive ghosts to beat and Miis to challenge that can be utterly annoying throwing perfect bananas or bombs at your face.
Super Smash Bros 3DS: you can play a minigame to earn coins which can be obtained in all the other modes of gameplay.
the list goes on...

The only game I can think that gives a real benefit and almost made it mandatory is Bravely Default which use streetpass to hire workers to upgrade you shops quicker than usual.

now a revision of a product is a sign of carelessness?? I'm really sure the PS2 had full support when they replaced the more functional phat for the puny slim. same goes for PS3, and had 2 revisions.

Fire Emblem was excellent in terms of using street pass.

Honestly street pass is a pretty nice feature. Lots of potential.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
This headline sums up Sony's priorities:

"Spotify Joins PS4 & Sony Vita Apps Dropped "

Why doesn't sony negotiate a deal or support for Spotify to the Vita? They really really seem to not care. The remote play feature hasn't been pushed forward enough and I'm surprised some games still aren't patched to work better with it.

Also why aren't they releasing an add-on to enable dual triggers like the circle pad pro? Is it just not possible?

Luckily I still have LOH Trails in the Sky and a butt load of Vita games I haven't played yet so I'm not too pissed off but the Vita had the potential to be something really special and push portable gaming forward. Whilst Nintendo are throwing every big IP they can at the 3DS and giving fans what they want, Sony are quietly moving on to the PS4 and letting third party japanese titles hold the Vita up.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh no Sony kills a redundant app and a app no one uses. The end of the world is here! /sarcasm
Really instead of crying over the app use the Webbrowser to watch Youtube.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
it might not be 100% on sony with the support drop for the apps

the vita maps app its a Google map app
and
youtube is Google owned

Google might not support the vita apps anymore
Google wants you to use the Google web site for maps and mobile youtube for youtube
That makes sense, after all, Vita's not doing Google any favours or Sony for that matter.

It's surprising that Wii U has a YouTube and Google Earth (titled as: Wii Street U) app, but I guess due to the lack of a media player most people who want to watch videos use YouTube (since it's free).

I downloaded Google Earth which was free back then and now they're charging $4.99 on the US eShop, dunno about UK because I can't see it as it says "downloaded". I've got to say that I enjoyed seeing places I haven't been to in years and yeah sure, I could've just used the internet browser on my PC to do the same thing but the way they've got the app running is actually better than playing some games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...