OP
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
JbtDRn8.jpg

Sony published that is going to drop support of the Youtube and Maps apps and also remove some of the functions of the [near] app.
All features of the [Maps] application and some features of the [near] application will be disabled with the PlayStation®Vita system software update planned on March, 2015.
Functionalities of the applications will be removed automatically once users update their PlayStation®Vita.

The disablement of features will not affect gameplay.

While the maps function was really lackluster, the Youtube app was heavily used for some people and was particularly useful to watch walkthroughs and such. fortunately you can access Youtube through the Browser.
The removal of some functions on the [near] app could render some trophies unobtainable in certain games, although I doubt they would remove the item share function but rather the map that appear when you look for nearby people.

Very unfortunate and alarming as this is the first solid sign of carelessness of Sony towards the Vita. I just hope this is just another case of expiring licenses and nothing more. I myself will be backing up the Youtube app to my laptop just to see if you can bypass his removal that way.

:arrow: Source

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This does not sound promising for the Vita, usually you'll hear of them discontinuing apps or functions like ten years after a console is out.

I never used Maps or [near] but the Youtube app was actually quite good. I guess they don't want to continue spending money on developing for it.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got my Vita last year and honestly? It became nothing more than a device for PS4 remote play for me. Because hey, i can use the Vita like some sort of Gamepad and play my PS4 while my TV is free.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
This is pretty sucky 'cause watching YouTube on Vita is like one of its pros and taking that away is a shame but hey you can still watch it via the Internet Browser so not all's lost.

Reactions: cvskid

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't Youtube one of the most common, basic apps available for any platform at this point? If you can't even keep that up, then you're not even trying.

I dont think so.

From some of my friends that work at "YouTube" (yeah its a place lol) they say that the player can be a bit of a bitch, always changing servers for video hosting, 4 or 5 different formats for each video, etc. The way I see it is that yeah, the might be a double pronged house keeping act. On the one hand Vita support is waning as far as Sony is concerned. Which is sad. Not seeing the Vita live up to the hype and promises that early ad campaigns stoked makes me wonder about what gaming with a vita would be like if I could, in fact, pause my ps3 game and pick it up on my vita. Or better use of the cross save system. Which the CSS works, you have to save a SPECIFIC points, its not seamless like they make it look. I digress.

Dropping Youtube support doesnt really strike me as all that big of a deal. Reason 1, there arent many people who dont have a phone now-a-days that cant play videos better with the official app or browser at higher quality with better connection speeds. Reason 2, you can still use the Vita browser to do your youtubes if you must.

Dropping "Near" is even less significant if you ask me. While I think it might have been a nice idea, anyone with a wifi Vita is never going to touch it, nor would anyone REALLY opt to use it over a phone, dedicated GPS device, or go through the hassle of having your vita added to your mobile plan, especially if you arent already an AT&T customer. Now, granted, AT&T fields quite a few people with mobile plans, but not everyone.

On the surface, dropping either of these things might come as a shock, but think about it for a few minutes. I dont see these decisions as any sort of dealbreaker, nor do they spell out "DOOM" in the sky for the vita.

No, that was when Sony came out and publicly announced they were not making any first party AAA games for the Vita.

Reactions: vayanui8 and Gahars

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it might not be 100% on sony with the support drop for the apps

the vita maps app its a Google map app
and
youtube is Google owned

Google might not support the vita apps anymore
Google wants you to use the Google web site for maps and mobile youtube for youtube

I didnt even think about that

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
OP
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
it might not be 100% on sony with the support drop for the apps

the vita maps app its a Google map app
and
youtube is Google owned

Google might not support the vita apps anymore
Google wants you to use the Google web site for maps and mobile youtube for youtube

That's what I hope, seeing how all the other Youtube apps have received updates(3DS doesn't count, is just a glorified browser) and the Vita was left behind I wonder Google just took the easy path of discontinuing the app.

Now if the app was handled by Sony...

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
I use youtube on my VITA to watch shows and stuff in bed before i go to sleep so this sucks... couldnt care less about the maps one tho.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey look, apps I never used that will still be accessible anyways by just using the browser which adds maybe one extra step to the whole process. As Bortz said, this is hardly a big deal, and was mentioned by Ryupower, this is probably just Google making a decision based on numbers and resources for where their support should go. Regardless, the Vita really won't be any worse off. I agree with emigre in that, as long as I get my weeaboo and indie shit, I'm good to go. I have plenty of other titles already, exclusives, ports, and indies alike that have made the system worthwhile.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I...