Deck head
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Remember Playstation Mobile? I didn't until yesterday. Y'know that thing about Playstation certificated devices and Android? Well Sony have decided to charge "protection money," publisher license fee. This means anyone can submit a game for the service.

Source

Hopefully we can all wait patiently for Foxi4 to port his successful Valwinator DS homebrew to the Vita. Valwinator HD anyone?

Reactions: Thug and Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Okay, so they "dropped the fees"... fully? Or was it a price drop?

...are you trying to say that development for the system is free of charge now?

...it has begun. :evil:

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. I saw some sweet homebrew being made before Sony started charging to use the Suite. Hoping to see that continue.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So, wait, is this like saying that at this point, the only real reason to hack the Vita would be for illegal shit?

Maybe companies do learn.
That's not entirely true.

The thing about the PSMobile Suite is that it limits your resources for the sake of Multiplatform compatibility and it's not Native Code. It works on the Mono VM, you're coding using C#, you only get RAM access (as far as I remember it's 128MB) but other than that, it's pretty good in comparison to the tools we have now since you get a lot more processing power than in PSP Mode.
wow, this is the first time I've seen a handheld get "homebrew" before it gets gaems ;O;
What about the Wii? :tpi:

Reactions: 1 person

Plainscript

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
About the Application for PSM Publisher License

We are not currently accepting publisher license applications from your country of residence. We apologize for this inconvenience.

BURN!

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
PSMobile, everyone. Not PSN. Just mobile. As in...android. Don't think this applies at all to PSN.

I'm pretty sure the PSM brand includes the Vita.

How else would you explain
f6107fe4752eaf1a04ea.png

Though, this might also further discourage "true" Vita-mode Homebrew (i.e. haxx)

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always found that fee ridiculous; you're allowed to sign up, grab the SDK, and start developing, but you couldn't actually test your code on an actual device (or maybe just the Vita, my memory's fuzzy) until you paid the yearly development fee. I mean, I get that otherwise people could redistribute their games/apps ( I don't think PSM accepts app submissions that aren't games, actually) to other devs for free, but still.

That wasn't the only ridiculous restriction, though; it's going to take quite a bit more to get me to care.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

BURN!
I'm not that surprised. AFAIK, the countries that have PSM are still about the same as a year ago:

PlayStation Mobile opened in the United States, Japan, Canada, United Kingdom, France,Germany, Italy, Spain and Australia on October 3, 2012.. (from Wikipedia).

If the thing isn't available there, it's not surprising that you can't dev for it. Which is stupid, but so is the limit for the software to certain locations. Especially the PSVita restriction is plain stupid (I even have a US PSVita, but PSM is PSN based, alas no PSM).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.