SONY do not like it,if you PLATE MOD your PlayStation 5

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
As maybe known,the Case/Plate from the PlayStation 5 is very easy to open/remove:

a company called CustomizeMyPlates saw it as a business idea, reports "Video Games Chronicle".
The company set up an online shop that sold PS5 case parts in alternative colors - and thus attracted numerous pre-orders.

The hustle and bustle did not go unnoticed, however - also because the company had secured a website name that Sony did not approve: PlateStation5.com.

http://www.platestation5.com/ (No longer working)

Sony's lawyers referred to trademark protection and patent law, whereupon the provider changed the Internet address.
But Sony's lawyers did not go far enough, according to the company they obtained a sale of the alternative PS5 housing parts for around 40 US dollars.
Numerous pre-orders had to be canceled.
The pre-orderers are disappointed: Many were looking forward to giving their PS5 an unconventional look with the alternative plastic plates in blue, black or with a camouflage pattern.
But nothing will come of that for the time being. In view of the fact that there is obviously a demand for alternative PS5 housing parts and that these can also be exchanged easily and without tools, it would not be surprising if Sony would meet this demand in the medium term.

Source: https://www.krone.at/2267328
(German)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
This is weird.

Design of a console (and casing) is copyrighted and can't be reproduced, but I don't recall any case where a company tried to stop 3rd party replacements, so this is a dick move.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think it would be a new move by Sony to produce different coloured versions at a later date as I dont recall them doing that with previous consoles but if they wanted to sell a green, a blue or even a bright yellow one.... Where does this leave other designs... Say your favourite game franchise on there....

Maybe that's the plan? To charge a shit load more for an Assassins Creed printed plate out the factory!

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sony continue to get more and more like nintapple every day

maybe if you didn't make the ps5 FUGLY white people wouldn't need to do this!
Sony can do as they please because it’s their system. If they don’t want people selling third party parts, they have every right to C&D them.

Last edited by Veho, , Reason: Dude, read the other replies
Reactions: Alexander1970

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
This is weird.

Design of a console (and casing) is copyrighted and can't be reproduced, but I don't recall any case where a company tried to stop 3rd party replacements, so this is a dick move.
Very much so. Definitely a show of power. I don't see the issue with the site or what it was selling. One of the more petty moves Sony has made recently.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Lame move by Sony, I prefer PlayStation to Xbox, but at least Microsoft allowed 3rd parties to make and sell custom faceplates for the 360.
I'm not big on Microsoft but I really like their controllers, especially the fact they use AA batteries.
Assuming you look after it, you'll be able to use it in 20 years. The same can't really be said about controllers which use rechargeable ones.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not big on Microsoft but I really like their controllers, especially the fact they use AA batteries.
Assuming you look after it, you'll be able to use it in 20 years. The same can't really be said about controllers which use rechargeable ones.

Um. No. 1) 13 yr old PS3 controller batteries are still working just fine. 2) You can replace the rechargeable batteries in both the DualShock 3 and 4 extremely easily.

Edit: I'll also add that every single one of my PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 controllers I've ever had functioned perfectly and I never had a single issue. On the other hand, EVERY, SINGLE XB 360 controller I bought had horrible stick drifting, even some of them when brand new just out of the packaging.

Edit 2: Regarding the PS5 custom top and bottom plates. Meh. Just paint them yourself or have someone skilled in painting do it for you.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,
Reactions: Alexander1970

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Um. No. 1) 13 yr old PS3 controller batteries are still working just fine. 2) You can replace the rechargeable batteries in both the DualShock 3 and 4 extremely easily.
Sure, they work, but it's a well known fact that rechargeable batteries get old and their life decreases, the battery can swell etc...
I know we can open the controller, thankfully for controllers that's easy to do, but the problem is that Sony don't provide replacement batteries. No surprises there, it's old and they don't care.
I wish there were some good companies producing high quality PSP, GBA SP... etc batteries, but all that seems to be out there is cheap junk that is not the same capacity as the original (often the companies LIE and say the capacity is higher than original, very common to lie about capacity).

I understand that companies don't always have long term serviceability in mind.
My PS2 was such a chore to replace the coin cell battery inside! Ridiculous. At least it wasn't soldered in.
Game Boy games, Gamecube, you need to unsolder the old one and solder it back.
Not thinking that anyone will want to use your product in 20 years isn't the right way to think.
But I understand the majority of people don't want to play with old toys :D

Last edited by cearp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.