SONY do it like NINTENDO - Officially preserving PSX/PS 1 Games (to make more Money.....)

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Sony's games division has assembled a new team of employees with one main task:
to preserve the various legacy game titles for the PlayStation game consoles.

As the Video Games Chronicle noted, a new employee at Sony has announced on LinkedIn that he is part of a new so-called "preservation team".
Specifically, it is Garrett Fredley, who is now working as a so-called Senior Build Engineer for Sony PlayStation and is one of the first members of the new team.
Fredley previously worked in the field of so-called "game preservation", but for Electronic Arts (EA).
The Canadian already has some experience in this area, but claims to be working at Sony on a broader scale in order to get old games there as well.

With IP preservation, Sony certainly wants to ensure that you can continue to generate income from old games.
In this way, the company can continue to earn money with once popular titles in the future,
but it also has to adapt them again and again for the newer platforms in order to make them usable on them.

Source: https://winfuture.de/news,129329.html
(German)

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In this way, the company can continue to earn money with once popular titles in the future
Eh? This is speculation on the part of whoever wrote this blurb.

The big Nintendo leaks have clearly demonstrated that Nintendo has done a surprising job of preserving old titles and betas and source code and so on – internally. And Nintendo wouldn't have released so many games on the Virtual Console if Nintendo wasn't interested in making money off of them again.

MarmaladeBoy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I like the preservation part, but i cannot avoid feeling frightened about them doing the same thing nintendo is doing with the online pass.

Reactions: Henx

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the preservation part, but i cannot avoid feeling frightened about them doing the same thing nintendo is doing with the online pass.
Considering they literally already announced an equivalent to the Switch Online pass, your fears have already come true.

Luckily, the patented GBAtemp Solution™ is the same as Nintendo - just gank the games and use an emulator! Works like a charm every time. As a bonus, you can act like you're morally superior on the internet!

• Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Considering they literally already announced an equivalent to the Switch Online pass, your fears have already come true.

Luckily, the patented GBAtemp Solution™ is the same as Nintendo - just gank the games and use an emulator! Works like a charm every time. As a bonus, you can act like you're morally superior on the internet!
Very creative. 99 points. With exactly 100 points you would have won a washing machine (I don't give out single points).

How about simply dumping legit, old discs and using an emulator? Preservation of old PlayStation titles can be done with any CD/DVD drive since they are more or less standard discs. Many PS1/PS2 games are sold for pennies. Not all (&§%"% looking at you, Symphony of the Night)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I already have all my PS1 games backed up (in various formats for emulators). I have all my games backed up to .ISO, .CUE+.BIN, and .PBP formats. Every PS1 emulator will be happy with at least one of those formats, so I just keep all 3 formats. Space is hardly an issue these days, so I don't fiddle with compressed ISO formats like .CSO, .CSZ, .ISZ, etc.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very creative. 99 points. With exactly 100 points you would have won a washing machine (I don't give out single points).

How about simply dumping legit, old discs and using an emulator? Preservation of old PlayStation titles can be done with any CD/DVD drive since they are more or less standard discs. Many PS1/PS2 games are sold for pennies. Not all (&§%"% looking at you, Symphony of the Night)
You make a good point! But the thing is, the vast majority of GBAtemp users don't actually care about any sense of legitimacy. Nine times out of ten, when someone here says "backup copies" they just mean "roms I got from the internet".

If you actually dump your discs though, more power to you! That's damn cool.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do we know what this entails?

If it is just them finding a CD ripper and scanner or playing in wayback machine for a game's/dev's website for some artwork then that is one thing.

If this is them tracking down remains of companies, paying to go through archive materials themselves (presumably we will dump whatever weird content manager you were using from the old tapes that you don't have a reader for and give you a copy if we can have one, you still have the rights though), grabbing source code, grabbing models/textures subsequently dropped to work on PS1 to then make a better remaster, possibly hammering out rights issues/ownership, maybe even doing some ancillary investigations a la proper historians (concept art, emails, faxes, design docs, speaking to devs to get their stories) then different matter entirely. Or if you prefer think Nintendo gigaleak and Capcom leaks but even more so and legit.

We occasionally see companies do the latter both internally and participate in other efforts but if Sony are doing it for their console then that would a notable act.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You make a good point! But the thing is, the vast majority of GBAtemp users don't actually care about any sense of legitimacy. Nine times out of ten, when someone here says "backup copies" they just mean "roms I got from the internet".

If you actually dump your discs though, more power to you! That's damn cool.
Your avatar fits good with this subject. :D This brings me back to the good old days of copying and burning PSX games with a hacked version of CDRWIN (got to be cheap 100%). Also making sure the hack or serial was good, otherwise, it would burn coaster. :sad: Not that the CDRs were that expensive, but it took a lot of time to burn one at 2x (40 minutes).

Reactions: CeeDee

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Your avatar fits good with this subject. :D This brings me back to the good old days of copying and burning PSX games with a hacked version of CDRWIN (got to be cheap 100%). Also making sure the hack or serial was good, otherwise, it would burn coaster. :sad: Not that the CDRs were that expensive, but it took a lot of time to burn one at 2x (40 minutes).
Can't relate, Nero Burning Rom Portable 2020 for the win.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure Nero's working fine now for PSX backups, but back in 1999-2000, CDRWIN was the reference for this kind of thing. Nero was already around, but couldn't make bin-cues.
I didn't get into PS1 backups until about 2005 when I got a PS2 slim. But I've always used Nero with great success.

Reactions: Dust2dust

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't get into PS1 backups until about 2005 when I got a PS2 slim. But I've always used Nero with great success.
I had nero but most stuff i just used imgburn... hell, i still use imgburn for all my cd and dvd backups. I have some old stock taiyo yuden cd-r's i got at an estate sale of an old computer shop and even some ritek mini dvd's for gamecube stuff.
Don't use them as much now days due to other methods of loading media like ODE's and flash carts being more available, but i like to have the option.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo preserves games? They took down rom websites to resell it on a subscription service.

Wouldn't call that actually preserving.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1