Sony details new information about the PSVR2 at CES 2022, Horizon VR game announced

pdvr.png

While we knew a successor to the PlayStation VR headset was on the way already, Sony has given us some new information about their upcoming VR hardware during a showcase at CES 2022. Speculate no more, as the official name for the headset will simply be the PSVR2, along with its VR2 Sense controllers. Improving upon the original, the headset will feature 4K HDR, 2000x2040 resolution, an OLED display, 90hz and 120hz support, and a 110-degree FOV, supported by the PlayStation 5 hardware. Much like other VR sets, tracking will be done via cameras on the outside of the PSVR2, and utilizes eye tracking as well. Similar to the PS5, the PSVR2 makes use of 3D Audio, adaptive triggers, and improved haptic feedback.

A new exclusive game was also revealed for the hardware in the form of Horizon Call of the Mountain, being developed by Guerilla Games. As for a launch date or pricing, those details haven't been revealed yet.

:arrow: Source

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
A Horizon VR game on Ps5 could be epic. A massive Thunder-Jaw trying to stomp puny lil' ol' Aloy in glorious vr is way more visceral.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
is the PS5 powerful enough for 4K HDR VR? IS anything really that powerful yet?
They can say everything, they once said that PS5 is a 8K60 and 4K120 console.

But for my rough understanding, a headset can offload some of heavy processing duty with tricks of its own internal processor, like not properly rendering stuff on the person's FOV edges. So maybe PS5 can do it.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really, really hope they also announce a wireless Pro version. Quest shows it can be done with a standard router so a direct connection between PS5 over Wi-fi 6 should be even better.

110deg FOV is nice but I was also honestly expecting a tad wider.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
PSVR was pretty bad, especially tracking wise because of their camera and light setup that needed a perfect environment to work well.
I also couldn't play expert + songs on beat saber coz of latency and poor precision compared to my Rift . . .
Lets hope their VR2 is something good coz VR has gained lots of traction with the Quest 2 so it can finally become more mainstream if PSVR 2 is good!

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS5 is not capable of 4k VR at those framerates (2 screens), as it is currently done - but --with eye tracking they definitely can (everything outside of your focal point can be blurred/lower texture).

I'm expecting quite good quality, given the spec.

On controls and tracking. I have the low end PC Vr (Lenovo) headset and it.is atrocious, like nauseatingly bad, constantly losing the hand location.

PSVR is no where near this bad, but the controls still suffer a lot (gun/your orientation gradually becomes out of sync)

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS5 is not capable of 4k VR at those framerates (2 screens), as it is currently done - but --with eye tracking they definitely can (everything outside of your focal point can be blurred/lower texture).

I'm expecting quite good quality, given the spec.

On controls and tracking. I have the low end PC Vr (Lenovo) headset and it.is atrocious, like nauseatingly bad, constantly losing the hand location.

PSVR is no where near this bad, but the controls still suffer a lot (gun/your orientation gradually becomes out of sync)
If the vr headset itself has 4k oled screens then sure its possible.

Its basically output 4k to headset if its got its own hardware to process it like having a gaming TV with its own hardware to improve its display.

I just hope they get rid of the stupid ps3 move tank controls and start making vr games with normal smooth game quality controls.

What annoys me on the ps4 is the stupid point and click to move or swing the move controllers to act like your legs moving, then your also expected to lift/aim and shoot.

Why fps type games couldnt share the easy controls like re7 or even support one controller with an analogue to move forward and backwards and your head controls your turning.

Very few games I found to be decent, especially when they try be too realistic like grab magazine clip from side pouch, insert into gun, cock gun then aim and fire.

Its glitchy as hell, and worse game by far is the walking dead, never keeps your weapon in range for you to aim and shoot properly, that was erm the dammed one, not tried the other but recon its also a sack of shit just like the show.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I really, really hope they also announce a wireless Pro version. Quest shows it can be done with a standard router so a direct connection between PS5 over Wi-fi 6 should be even better.

110deg FOV is nice but I was also honestly expecting a tad wider.
Let them focus on a smooth experience first.

The original PlayStation VR was extremely detrimental to VR gaming. A lot of people went in to it as their first VR experience and suffered a lot from motion sickness because of the low resolution and framerrate and didn't want to pick up on it again. I, myself tried to play Gran Turismo on it and had a simply awful experience.

Sony needs to fix this and it'll take quite some effort to convince the average person again.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get the appeal of psvr 2: electric boogaloo. Even if it's on par with modern headsets, you're still paying a mint for a device that plays a limited number of games, with each at full price. It's still going to be heavily limited by the platform and sony's going to make sure you can't use it on pc like you kinda could with the first psvr.
If you want entry level vr, it'd probably be best off going for a quest 2 instead if you can get passed the whole facebook trash. It has a wide library over 2 different platforms, you can install other people's stuff and make your own if you want, and you can use it on pc if you have one. Being locked to ps5, aka the console still barely anyone has and also has barely any library, is just a not worth it. in my opinion.

Last edited by samcambolt270,

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the vr headset itself has 4k oled screens then sure its possible.

Its basically output 4k to headset if its got its own hardware to process it like having a gaming TV with its own hardware to improve its display.

I just hope they get rid of the stupid ps3 move tank controls and start making vr games with normal smooth game quality controls.

What annoys me on the ps4 is the stupid point and click to move or swing the move controllers to act like your legs moving, then your also expected to lift/aim and shoot.

Why fps type games couldnt share the easy controls like re7 or even support one controller with an analogue to move forward and backwards and your head controls your turning.

Very few games I found to be decent, especially when they try be too realistic like grab magazine clip from side pouch, insert into gun, cock gun then aim and fire.

Its glitchy as hell, and worse game by far is the walking dead, never keeps your weapon in range for you to aim and shoot properly, that was erm the dammed one, not tried the other but recon its also a sack of shit just like the show.

Unfortunately that's not how it works. That's like saying if I connect a PS3 to an 8k display, it can process at 8k, it can't.

The displays are just what the image is shown on. With upscaling yes, they could do that, but I seriously doubt they'd simply use uoscaling alone (although I wouldn't doubt it would be used, as the consoles always seem to).

Also, the separate processing isn't something I think Sony would do, the whole point is a device which supplements the console, not a standalone device, also the cost would be ridiculous.

It's not possible to have both devices work together (I wouldn't say it's completely impossible), the delay in trying to "crossfire" the hardware in the PS5 and the headset over the length of cable involved would be horrendous.

Yeah, the moving is very jarring and one of the biggest causes of nausea, the sooner they produce a cheap and effect alternative, the better.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't get the appeal of psvr 2: electric boogaloo. Even if it's on par with modern headsets, you're still paying a mint for a device that plays a limited number of games, with each at full price. It's still going to be heavily limited by the platform and sony's going to make sure you can't use it on pc like you kinda could with the first psvr.
If you want entry level vr, it'd probably be best off going for a quest 2 instead if you can get passed the whole facebook trash. It has a wide library over 2 different platforms, you can install other people's stuff and make your own if you want, and you can use it on pc if you have one. Being locked to ps5, aka the console still barely anyone has and also has barely any library, is just a not worth it. in my opinion.
Same thing for getting a PS5: exclusives. That and a lot of people that don't own a gaming PC, own a console.

As for the Facebook thing, I for one, went the extra mile and got myself a Reverb 2, just not to have anything to do with Facebook (well not just, the extra display quality too), but the sentiment is shared by a lot of people. Sony might not be the greatest company, it's not Facebook bad.

It'd be cool if the scene could hack it to use with the PC though. I imagine that Sony will try to target the price competing with Quest, even if it sells it a loss.

By the way, a lot of people do have PS5s. Part of the shit shortage and shelf scarcity is simply caused by the afluence of consumers that got lock down or remote work and invested in home entertainment.

Reactions: felix.200

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I for one, went the extra mile and got myself a Reverb 2
Isn't the reverb 2 just a slightly upgraded version of a regular windows mixed reality headset? Cool if you got the pc for it, but I'd say most people would still be better off with a quest. You can use a throwaway facebook account to sign up if you really hate facebook, and then go offline and then use dev mode to install your games without having to go online and risk them selling your info. Pretty sure you can ride the high seas and just install whatever you want, too.

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
This seems like a really good piece of hardware if they stick to these specs- I would need more info on the audio before making any full opinion about that though.
And this headset seems a bit... overkill? Considering PS has like 1 or 2 VR exclusives that anyone would acknowledge the existence of.
I think the most exciting thing to come out of PSVR 2 would be the controllers

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Isn't the reverb 2 just a slightly upgraded version of a regular windows mixed reality headset? Cool if you got the pc for it, but I'd say most people would still be better off with a quest. You can use a throwaway facebook account to sign up if you really hate facebook, and then go offline and then use dev mode to install your games without having to go online and risk them selling your info. Pretty sure you can ride the high seas and just install whatever you want, too.
The Reverb (mine is the G2 btw) has the greatest resolution on a VR headset I think and supports 90hz. That makes it a great experience. What it lacks is decent controllers. You can use it any VR game on Steam, despite using WMR, and you can pair it up with steam VR controllers, that I plan to get eventually.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Reverb (mine is the G2 btw) has the greatest resolution on a VR headset I think and supports 90hz. That makes it a great experience.
The only data I can find on the reverb 2's resolution is 2k per eye just like the quest 2, which also has 90hz assuming you have access to dev mode and a link cable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1