Sony Denies Use of Mods on Fallout 4 and Skyrim

12230-3-1330993310-620x350.jpg

The use of mods on consoles was a huge surprise and welcome addition to bethesda games at their e3 conference last year and this year. Being able to alter the game and bring some kind of exclusivity from PC to consoles was going to be a real treat for the console space.

That is of course, until Sony completely blocked the use of Mods.

Bethesda said:
After months of discussion with Sony, we regret to say that while we have long been ready to offer mod support on PlayStation 4, Sony has informed us they will not approve user mods the way they should work: where users can do anything they want for either Fallout 4 or Skyrim Special Edition.

Like you, we are disappointed by Sony’s decision given the considerable time and effort we have put into this project, and the amount of time our fans have waited for mod support to arrive. We consider this an important initiative and we hope to find other ways user mods can be available for our PlayStation audience. However, until Sony will allow us to offer proper mod support for PS4, that content for Fallout 4 and Skyrim on PlayStation 4 will not be available.

We will provide an update if and when this situation changes.

As of now, it looks like mod support will be left solely to the PC and Xbox One console. A strange move on Sony's part that they will hopefully reverse in the future.

Otherwise what is even the point of playing Skyrim again on PS4..?

:arrow: SOURCE

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I wish there were more details on why Sony denied it. That was a really vague statement and it's clear that Bethesda was the one who pulled out most likely unwilling to compromise.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Wow, Sony. Just fucking kill a puppy in front of us, why doncha. I mean, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone under the illusion that corporations are not conglomerates of dicksauce-chugging, ethical wastelands of human shells, but Sony really seems to be trying to hammer that fact in as hard as they can anyway.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good thing I have the PC port and can get the Remastered version for free, but damn Sony, they sure know how to be a killjoy, I'm sure they're really fun at parties.

But of course with anything, hackers will just circumvent it anyway.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of shitty but I understand why they most likely did it:
I get where Sony is coming from. Not being able to check limitless user-end mods is a threat to security. You know that someone would find a way to exploit something like that.
Has anything even been anounced for the XBone? I knew there was that one exploit for the ps4 already to install linux. Kind of tacky, strange considering that Unreal Tournament 3 did the same thing on the PS3 but I guess this is broader appeal so there's more space for that.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
PS4 Pro and now this, is another reason to go PC. Sony have had stick up their ass for a while now and this news is very disappointing, which is another slap in the face with a wet kipper to their consumers.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think most of the good Skyrim mods will even work on the console version, because they require SKSE. I think more than 50% of mods require it.

Also, wouldn't surprise me if they were paranoid that someone can find an exploit with Skyrim/Fallout modding. I guess they don't want a Skyrimhax or a Fallouthax on PS4. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That boy yo