Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I've always been irritated when sonytards kept repeating how Nintendo was going to die or go third-party, and I am growing afraid of seeing my own side suffer of the same stupidity.
The business world doesn't work like that. If you fail at a product's launch, you have, as a company, what we call a war chest. Nintendo's is huge, but both Sony's and Microsoft's are nothing to be scoffed at.

Most of the analogies you brought up are flawed because these companies were not market leaders. There are some things you just can, and can't do when you have a given position in the marketplace. Sega were shooting themselves in the foot and they hadn't even won against the SNES. NEC wasn't even relevant. Sony's proprietary formats ren't used by the public, but they have a rousing success still in the profession (ever seen your neighbor hold a betacam, anyone?)
But stupid strategies does NOT a dead company make. Stockholders jumping ship, and nobody buying anything at all, maybe. And even then, I already talked about state-backed protectionism. You *really* need to look it up, I'm serious about this. Did Nintendo die? No. They became the underdog, and have now begun their phoenix-like resurrection. Their humiliation after their arrogance has made them a better company judging from my DS games.

And as I already pointed out, ONLY WE NERDS CARE about the rootkit fiasco. The stillborn next-gen disc format war. People are going to line up for this console, and it will even be true (it will mostly be true!) for people on welfare. Brand loyalty is NOT something that dies so easily. Because if that were the case, I wouldn't even be interested by the next home console Nintendo is releasing. I'd just shrug, think about zelda : flash-based boat sim, mario kart : in name only, and F-Zero : the CPU is a fucking cheating bastard.

Now, I also think about MGS4 : let's stich wounds because that was SO FUN in 3, amirite?! and Pro Evolution Soccer 59 : hey guyz, let's go play mario strikers instead..., and GT : still can't break cars and it will cost 800 bucks, and am not interested in a PS3 anyway. But seriously, WHO CARES IF SONY DIES?
It makes one less competitor on the market!

I've been known for my somewhat inflammatory anti-sony posts, because I estimate that in their period of domination, they did more evil things than Nintendo did in their time, the games released these last ten years have been utter shit apart from a few gems here and there on the maverick consoles, and I seriously never noticed that the PSX had won the first war because we were all busy playing superior games on the 64.

But why do you want a company to die, anyway? It is bad news for US, the consumers. It makes less choice available. I'm quite happy to know that if someone buys a sony product, I can safely put them in the "I hate you" category. Just two days ago, some dude was considering buying a PSP, I told him "wanna try out a few DS games before?", he just answered "why would I invest 200 euros in a souped-up gameboy?". See, easy. He's a retard!

So please, fellow nintenfags, let's NOT be as fucking stupid as the xbots and sonytards.

Please. Live and let live. Or die.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, while as a gamer I accept all consoles, I'll buy any console I have to to play the games I love. I could care less if Sony fails or succeeds. Actually, that's not true. I suppose I am leaning towards failure, but not because they pissed me off with their negative announcements (Nintendo did the same not to long ago, and I got over that). The reason I'm leaning towards hoping for failure is just as Hitto said: one less competitor. How much easier would it make it for us gamers if we didn't have to buy 3 consoles? As long as there are two on the market competition will still inspire great games.

EDIT: And surely there must be a better name for Nintendo fanboys than "Nintenfags". How about Nintendorks? I'm proud to be an Xbot, Sonytard, and Nintendork!
tongue.gif

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
EDIT: And surely there must be a better name for Nintendo fanboys than "Nintenfags". How about Nintendorks? I'm proud to be an Xbot, Sonytard, and Nintendork!
tongue.gif

lol I like his /v/ state of mind...

Anyway, I don't want any companies to die. I won't gain anything off of it really. Neither if they fail. Good competition will make them make what gamers want and what's left is for us to choose.

I also don't get/buy this console war BS or anything really. Most of it is just faggotry* or frustration basically. Let the companies compete with each other. I think we only gain from it anyway. As long as we get good games, I'm happy.

*(no offense to fags, I just like to use the term in an entirely different derogatory remark in the interwebs. whatever fags lol)

leehom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here goes....LOL (btw I hate online debates)

1. Every (or almost every) console has lost money on hardware sales except Nintendo. I think this has been discussed already so I'll skip it.

2. Do you even know why the shares fell $1.03? because of the PS3?. They fell because of the PS3 overheating in the kiosks. This has some people worried that the PS3 will be the second coming of the Xbox360 (hardware problems). Sony is a large company like Microsoft. Just because one division has caused shares to tumble ever so slightly doesn't mean their whole business will collapse (this is in reference to the panic/anxiety attack comment). This has already been discussed as well, no point in me taking it further.

3. Yes, there are some developers who believe the PSP is failing. To say that no third party developers will support the system is a killing blow is presumptuous. Look at how well Nintendo held up with only their first party games for the N64/GC.

4. Sony executives doubting Blu-Ray? Thats the first time I've heard of such rumors. "Bottom line: if Blu-ray fails, Sony dies." Another reason why I made the anxiety comment.

5. Exclusives, I already discussed this and you have yet to reply.

6. Analysts suggest the PSP sales will be abysmal. Who cares? Like I said earlier, Idc about hand helds.

On to the good stuff. Additional fiction/facts/rumors.

1. I agree with what has been already posted. IMO, the majority of the people who complain about prices would be the ones who think its overpriced or can't afford it. Even if I was poor, I would just save up ahead of time and purchase the system or I would wait for a price drop. Complaining about the price is a weak arguement. I have yet to hear someone complain about the overpriced IPODS, $200 Jordans, Mercedes Benz, etc. If you don't like it, don't buy it. No one is forcing you to spend your hard earned $500-$600 on a PS3.

2. This whole paragraph is wtf to me. "Sony pissed alot of people off with one negative announcement after another regarding the PS3. They're making no allies and getting constant bad press. So far the only positive announcement has been that the Japanese core PS3 got a price drop, and even that was accompanied by the fact that Japanese PS3 games will now retail for close to $90 USD. Then there's the delays, and various other factors."

What negative announcements? The price of the system, Europe delayed till March or the shortage of blue laser diodes? Thats pretty much the only negative "press" I could think of off the top of my head. Allies, what allies? Is this a war? What constant bad press? The retail Japanese games for $90 USD rumor has already been squashed. BTW the prices for Japanese games include tax. What other delays other than the PS3 for Europe in March? What other various factors? Im interested because I haven't read anything about this in NEOGAF.

3. This third fact was just dumb. I doubt Sony plans the PS3 to last ten years as a gaming platform. Could you provide a solid link to this?

4. "What many people don't know is that game hardware spec comparisons have been done, and the Xbox 360 is actually equal to the PS3 in most way, and even surpasses it in others. This means the consumer can get (basically) the same level of power for a smaller cost."

The PS2 is the weakest system out of the three (Xbox and GC) yet they were the most successful. Im sure you know this as many others do, software sells hardware. The main reason why I'll be purchasing a PS3 on day one is because of their extensive and huge third party support that will carry over from the PS2, not because it has "blast processing or mode 7".

5. "* Blu-ray is slower loading/reading than HD-DVD, has a less recognizable brand name (HD-DVD is an obvious combination of High Definition and DVD), it will scratch like crazy due to the data being closer to the surface (and a lesser protective coating), manufacturers don't believe Blu-Ray recorders can succeed in North America, and now that the 360 has an optional HD-DVD drive, it basically has the same advantage as PS3's blu-ray player (except in this case you can choose to shell out money for it rather than having the price of the console jacked up)."

Where do you come up with this? EGM has already reported that Blu-Ray discs is more durable than HD-DVD discs. I think their qoute was "You could scratch it with wool and it'll still work" or something to that effect. Their not bringing Blu-Ray recorders because it'll cost over $2,000 right now. The HD-DVD recorders cost over $2,000 too. Whats your point? Even if we had a chance to purchase either for $2,000, Im sure next to no one will.

Oh yess...the optional HD-DVD debate. This is whats going to prematurely kill the 360 imo. Whats funny is how the MS fanboys complain about the $500-$600 PS3, but their waiting to purchase the HD-DVD add on. $400 (xbox 360) + $200 (HD-DVD add on) = $600 (PS3 Blu-Ray) + wifi + 60 gig hd + hdmi. I wonder which one is over priced now? There's also this thing about the security feature (which I forgot the name of) that might render the 360 HD-DVD add on useless if activated because it only works through HDMI which the 360 add on does not include.

6. "* Sony apparently hasn't delivered the online specs to developers, meaning they won't be able to implement online play any time soon. This one's not confirmed, but if it's true it means they're not taking online play seriously, and they need to because Xbox live has a rather large head start."

I believe their taking it seriously. What about the Wii's online plan? We have yet to hear anything about their plans, yet everyone bashes on Sony and praises everything Nintendo does.

7. * The Xbox 360 already has a large head start, and rumor has it they'll be lowering their prices and improving internal hardware (nothing major, just some new chips and fixes, etc) in 2007. Which will make competition even more fierce. Not to mention additional non-direct (as stated by Nintendo) competition from the Wii as well.

What large head start? Many believe that MS has done a poor job with their head start and didn't capitalize on it. From poor software to their many hardware issues and their "warranty" to their confusing add on. Every system that has offered an add on to my knowledge has failed. Sega CD, Turbo Graphx-16 CD and Atari Jaguar CD. I happened to have owned all three at one point in my life.
cry.gif

8. * A long time ago it was announced that the PS3 budget version will not be backwards compatible (I believe it was e3), if this still stands it will be a huge drawback for the consumer. I have no idea if that still stands, but feel free to correct me if that has since changed.

False. This isn't MS where you have to purchase their premium package with the hard drive only to have limited backwards compatibility. You have to wait for their new "firmware" releases to play your limited backward compatbility, good job!

9. * HD-DVD at the moment has stronger sales than Sony's Blu-ray format, and it too had a head start. Not to mention Blu-ray's one advantage (the fact that it could hold more data) is useless at this point, as apparently Sony can get the larger capacity disks to work on existing Blu-ray players.

HD-DVD has two strong selling points. The name HD-DVD alone is enough to make it more successful in retail sales due to the number of idiots who have no idea what HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is. They'll look at HD-DVD and see that it has the words DVD in it and puchase that over Blu-Ray. The second selling point is its price. When you can purchase a HD-DVD player for $500 vs $1,000 for a Blu-Ray, which format will you initially go with? You know that as well as I do, that the real HD/Blu-Ray wars start when the PS3 is released. Does this automatically make Blu-Ray the winner? Of course not, but Im interested in the outcome between the two in the coming year or years.

10. * Sony's PSP UMD movie format was an utter failure. It didn't sell, and if I remember correctly because of that... they stopped produbing movies in this format. This may have been changed if Sony had released UMD recorders, but they were so set on keeping pirates away from their format that they refused to let that happen.

I agree with this. Sony takes piracy too seriously. Look at what happened with N64 and GC. One of the main reasons why Nintendo went with that method for a storage medium was because of piracy.

11. * Various game stores are speculating (based on recent polls) that the PS3 will sell terribly in Japan this winter, going as far as giving it an equal market share figure to that of the Xbox 360. Which is ironic, as based on earlier polls before all of Sony's bad press, the PS3 was by far the most anticipated next-gen console. Now? Not so much.

Who cares about video game store POLLS? This isn't an consumer poll and regardless of Japan or U.S. the PS3 will be sold out this holiday season. Your using any piece of information whether its useful or not to bash Sony which I find is lame.

12. Well, that's all I can think of off the top of my head, but everything there spells out what we're all thinking: Sony is dead in the water, and they don't even know it. I mean what does it say about a company if they're going to lose billions even if they do succeed, and even more if they try and lower the price for the consumer? It says "dead meat". By the by, the first article is the msot important one. Above all else, read it.

Correction, only what you and a few misinformed consumers are thinking. By your theory, MS should have went under by now with the losses they've accumulated with the Xbox and 360. Out of the four pages of this thread, I've only read about 4-5 people who blindly agree with you. I assume these guys didn't read your whole post and their just Sony haters (which Sony seems to have alot of now). What's sad is that its the popular thing to bash "Sony" and anything they do because of the PS3 price tag.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Basicly i dont care , if you buy a ps3 and your happy with it , good . If you buy a xbox360 and happy with it , good. If you buy a Nintendo Wii and are happy with it thats good too ....

We all make our own choices. But regardless of them Sony doesnt look very good at this moment.

Why would Nintendo dare to release the Wii 2 days after Sony when Sony marketing is feared by everybody ....

Sony pulled out of the European and Australian market suddenly. To claim that everything is hunky dory there is weird ...

Selling out is good
smile.gif
. But Sony _cant_ supply and software companies that made launch titles wont be happy since there arent enough people with systems for them to make some cash ...

bow.gif

leehom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
quote new guy "Im going to ignore your first four articles/links due to the fact that you sound like a kid who is having an anxiety attack"

I love the fact that you are calling out the original poster for sounding like a kid but only a true child would not read all the facts and just let his or her fanboy flag fly. You repeatedly say you will not or have not read all of the material provided by Ace Gunman so there fore I would pretty much count your opinion as uninformed. Especially when you discount the very first article which paints a pretty grim picture for Sony. The fact that you want to blind yourself to the facts reveal that it may be you, sir or madam, that is the viral marketer. 
yaynds.gif

If you knew any of the facts rather than reading some guys "opinions which he thinks is facts", than you wouldn't even question me. Therefore, you questioning me proves that you know nothing. Go to www.neogaf.com and read up.
wink.gif
If you even read the replies to his post, many people state that Sony is going nowhere. This guy is basically saying that Sony screwed up with the PS3/PSP and will go bankrupt. Many of the things he made up, he has no source or proof to back up his claims. He just blindly makes assumptions and wants you to believe their facts. This is what a viral marketer is. He is directing fire at Sony to give you and others a negative view on the PS3/PSP.

Im sort of offended that you called me a viral marketer, but honetly I don't care since its appearant you have little knowledge. If you could "prove" it, then you might be on to something.
dry.gif

I love it when people state that Sony is going nowhere. Why do people actually believe that just because a company is big or was big will always stay that way. ignorant. I also love how you keep saying that he is just posting his opinion. Did you read the articles he linked? No, I am pretty sure you did not. It is always sad to view those in compete and utter denial. Battery recalls, TV sales way down, portable music players way below the competition, portable game market in the tank, they have so much riding on this PS3 that they may be in big trouble. The loose money when they sell a system and need to make it up with software sales but you said yourself that you may only buy the system. Nice, kill the company that you so obviously work for. I also am greatly amused by people like you when given all the facts on a silver tray they still say we don't know what we are talking about. You are calling out those of us that have been burned in the past by similar situations. TG16 with the CD add on? Check. 3DO? Check. Sega CD? Check. 32X? Check. Dreamcast? Check. Also, look at the track record for Proprietary formats that Sony backs all the time. Have you used your MiniDisc player in a while? How is your UMD library doing? You pick up a Blu Ray player yet? Seriously. You sound like a retard.

If you believe Sony's income is solely based on their electronics, you are a fool and I will not waste my time with you about this topic. You bash Sony, yet you forget that their also responsible for creating DVD's that you now love so dearly. Sony is going where Microsoft is going, no where.

"The loose money when they sell a system and need to make it up with software sales but you said yourself that you may only buy the system."

I guess I need to spell it out for you since its obvious your not smart enough to figure it out. I do not believe there is any game at launch worth warranting me to purchase the system at LAUNCH. There might be a game later this year I might purchase. The only games Im interested in at the moment are the exclusives, FFXIII, MGS4, DMC4, GT5 etc.

" Nice, kill the company that you so obviously work for. I also am greatly amused by people like you when given all the facts on a silver tray they still say we don't know what we are talking about. You are calling out those of us that have been burned in the past by similar situations. TG16 with the CD add on? Check. 3DO? Check. Sega CD? Check. 32X? Check. Dreamcast? "

How does the CD add ons have anything to do with this? The PS3 isn't an add on to the PS2. The 360 HD-DVD is an add on to the 360, yet you mention nothing of this....

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you think Sony created the DVD format?
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
Ok. Man, Toshiba (edit, and Philips) must have missed that memo.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sony is going to cause eBay fever, its the easiest way to build free publicity. I am going to try as hard as I can to participate in the eBay fever. If I can get even 1 unit to sell I'll be so happy.

Edit: The reason why Sony has been so desperately trying to push the Blu-Ray format because they are not getting massive royalties from DVDs and their ability to charge for CDs is running out REALLY fast. I hate the Blu-Ray discs too...i feel like I want to punch myself everytime I say it.

*punches self 2 times*

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony and Philips were working on the Multimedia Compact Disc and Toshiba was working on (along with a bunch of other companies, most notably Time-Warner) Super Density disc. Instead of another Beta vs. VHS type format war Sony and Philips agreed to the SD format but apparently added 2 additional technologies to help. The first one was a proprietary Philips/Sony technology involving tracking and the other was a Philips technology that helped with the discs ability to resist damage. EFMPlus I believe it was. So, yeah, Renegade_R would be right about the lack of royalties.

blueraja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good post Hitto, the levels of fanboyisim are truly astounding lately.

Ace, did you actually read the articles you posted and "summarized?"

The first article is totally flawed becasue if fails to account for games and peripherals or bluray licensing in its made up numbers.

The second is accurate in that Sony's stock has taken a tumble, however this is due more to the recall of almost every notebook battery Sony has made in the past 3 years than the ps3. BTW you do know that unlike Sony, Nintendo does not trade on Nikkei? They are actually a "pink sheet" stock which is normally reserved for penny stocks, most serious investors completely ignore pink sheet trading.

The third states that developers think the PSP has failed yet is based on an article that says a podcast on another site has comment in which the podcaster declares that some anonymous developer has declared the PSP dead, where is a quote, who's the developer, what company is he/she from. Until at least one of those questions is answered the statement is no more valid than my saying that the nguage will make a huge comeback and overtake the DS.

The 4th article was nice...I think digital downloads are going to become more and more important to as bandwidth increases but at the moment over 50% of the users in the US are still on dialup so 5 years is a bit optimistic unless they plan on going to all mini games. The summary didnt say Bluray was a failure or that it wouldnt last...it stated that it is an important step for them in content delivery and that digital delivery will become increasingly important. The percentages dont matter much in this case. More people stream videos on Youtube every day than go to the movies...but that doesnt make YouTube equal in quality or experience.

5th article, Once again Square who hasnt had a good game in 5 years declares themselves the life or death of entire platforms. They never state that they dont have faith...they stated they dont want to put all their eggs in one basket. In other words they are covering their asses so that no matter who suceeds they will be in a position to support them. They also never stats Kingdom Hearts for the Wii that was entirely the authors speculation. BTW Metal Gear has already been on the Game Cube (Twin Snakes) and started on the NES so why is this supposed to be an indiction of anything?

The last article i found most amusing...who are the "analysts" I never see them named. The same article mentioned the PSP2 which has already been proven to be BS, basically the entire article is more guesses and speculation based on rumors and wishes. Here's an analyst who has declared the Wii and 360 as dead in the water and thinks Sony is unbeatable.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...4-36375,00.html

The bottom line is analysts are fickle and their opinions vary as wide as anyone elses.

I wont even go into the guesses and half truth of the "facts" you list afterwords. In the end your long post just proved to be another fanboy dream for the death of Sony.

Before the "sony" fanboy accusations fly you should know I dont even own a ps2. The only current generation console I have is a gamecube with 37 games. In my family there are 2 DS's, 3 GBASP's and 1 PSP. I would love to see Nintendo come back to the top of the heap, but its going to be a hard fight not the cakewalk that fanboys are declaring. I admire the passion and the attempt to come across as posting real facts but if the links that "prove" the statements are themselves speculation it is no more truth than a group of kids playing "grapevine".

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
This is really emotionally stressful, I think I'm having a breakdown. I think I'm done. I was just trying to make an interesting topic with information I had been keeping an eye on lately. But now... yeah I can't, I'm done.
frown.gif

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really emotionally stressful, I think I'm having a breakdown. I think I'm done. I was just trying to make an interesting topic with information I had been keeping an eye on lately. But now... yeah I can't, I'm done.
frown.gif
now don't go all Dragonminded on us. As I said originally, there is a reason for the high price on you head (60 billion double dollars was it?) you had the balls to make a post that would bring out all the rabid Sony fans. Same would have happened if this was pointing out all the dumb things Nintendo was doing if this was back in the 90s. People get passionate about this stuff as you know, but what bugs me the most is when you put all this effort into posting your feelings on the matter then back it up with the facts as they are reported, you still get lambasted for making things up.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
frown.gif

When someone put passions and feelings on a discussion of facts, it never ends well
happy.gif

Lets just be happy with the console(s) of our choice, and let´s hope no company dissapear.
grog.gif

Why can´t we be friends?Why can´t we be friends?Why can´t we be friends?
yaynds.gif
yaypsp.gif

blueraja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings that wasnt the intention. I just really believe that this generations console war is truly up for grabs, all have their positives and negatives. For everything that has been posted there are articles to counter them with the exact opposite point, which tells me that no one knows whats going to happen. My own dream would be not for Sony to die, I think competition is good, but for Nintendo to rise back to the level of love and respect it enjoyed in the SNES days. I think they are far too good at game making to be dismissed as "kiddie" and also-rans. Heck I'd be thrilled with a 3 way split..it would mean that all the consoles had worthy exclusives and that everyones tastes in gaming were being addressed.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Heh, no, no one hurt my feelings. It's actually really difficult to do that. It's more like... say I was a painter, for example. And I painted a picture a thought was really beautiful, and then someone came and criticized my painting, saying the contrast was wrong, the strokes were backwards, and what-have-you. I'm merely upset because of personal issues, and because I put alot into this in an attempt to become part of the community again. To put up a cheerful front so not to bring the rest of GBAtemp down (basically I was trying to be "my old self"). So hopefully you get where I'm coming from. Also, I have a headache and I'm starting to get sick, so that's not helping.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Heh, no, no one hurt my feelings. It's actually really difficult to do that. It's more like... say I was a painter, for example. And I painted a picture a thought was really beautiful, and then someone came and criticized my painting, saying the contrast was wrong, the strokes were backwards, and what-have-you. I'm merely upset because of personal issues, and because I put alot into this in an attempt to become part of the community again. To put up a cheerful front so not to bring the rest of GBAtemp down (basically I was trying to be "my old self"). So hopefully you get where I'm coming from. Also, I have a headache and I'm starting to get sick, so that's not helping.

Dude, everyday, I have at least three people who come in and tell *me* how to do *my* paintings "better". Also, the kind of people who ask if I copied another painter. Or if it's oil or acrylic. The worst ones are the ones who ask you how long you take to make a painting. Do they ask a brain surgeon how long a brain operation lasts? There will always be people like that. I give them "the look", and they leave.

I don't recall you not being part of the community anymore, by the way. And, you made an interesting enough post to spark debate. Didn't see many rabid or stupid sony fanbois in here, and usually, I call out the astroturfers when I see'em. I just think sony dying is a pipe dream. Only time will tell!

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think PS3 will sell as butter, not enough people will care about the price for it not to sell out.
Of course they will sell out. They created the high demand by not being able to release enough units at launch (MS had this problem too). 400K is pretty low for the US and 100K seems pretty low for Japan too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho