Sony could disable JBed PS3s

Fellow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
joystiq said:
With PS3 open territory for hackers and pirates, many have been wondering what action Sony will take to secure its system. The platform-destroying piracy rampant on PSP makes it clear exactly how much is at stake. To date, Sony's response to the jailbreak has been limited to mandatory firmware updates and revoking PSN access to those that refuse to use official system software.

However, a report by Digital Foundry claims that Sony can take far more drastic measures. Even if you've never signed up for a PSN account, your console will communicate with Sony servers every time it boots up. That initial load process is used to upload error logs, download updates to the "What's New" module, and a list of recently-run applications, including any unauthorized backup manager software.

Sony has yet to ban any consoles for taking advantage of the jailbreak, but the terms and conditions of the PlayStation Network make it clear that Sony has the authority to carry them out. Thanks to the system's constant self-reporting feature, "the company even has the means to irrevocably disable your console should it so wish," rendering affected PS3 consoles unusable, online and off. But will Sony ever use such a drastic measure? And if so, how will the hacker scene retaliate?
The Banhammer May Be Coming

neogaf said:
On boot the system contacts the server and uploads the play list etc. this list alone is enough to get anyone that goes online banned as it shows the bootmanger etc. has been running. Here is the list and what they do, I port sniffed this a while ago before I went online with a retail unit >.> because I am not stupid hehe.

CODEfus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > Update Server (sys updates)
mercury.dl.playstation.net > What's new ads
nsx.np.dl.playstation.net > playstation store preview
nsx-e.np.dl.playstation.net > ads
(main file exchange connections)
us.np.stun.playstation.net > on boot initiates connection
ena.net.playstation.net > SSLv3 connection after above connection
dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > secondary update attempt (could force updates)
auth.np.ac.playstation.net > SSLv3 authentication server
(destination servers)
service.playstation.net (has multiple IPs if only the ip address is blocked)
(Error Reporting)
creepo.ww.hl.playstation.net (uploads crash reports etc.)

Almost all connections cannot just be port blocked, the port will continue to increment until it connects, you have to block the entire domains. Also a big point is that ALL computers on your network need to have these blocked not just the PS3's MAC because if you are running a proxy for example to get patches, the computer you proxy to will just allow the connections right out to the open unless all local IPs are blocked from these sites as well.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/11/report-s...ailbroken-ps3s/

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Banning a modded console from PSN is perfectly legit. They have every right to protect their network.

However disabling a modded console will only lead to major trouble for Sony.

The potential for a lawsuit here is amazing. Not to mention all the bad PR.

Anyway, this is all just propaganda. (and it comes from "sony age forums") Everyone knows the genie is out of the bottle. There's not putting the cork back in now. So lets try and scare people away from jailbreaks and CFW. Well to Sony and your agents on NeoGAF... good luck with that
rofl2.gif

PS4 incoming.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What if you don't connect your PS3 to your network in the first place?
This fails for purely offline users.

As for the "pirate" scene I'm sure someone(some people) can figure out a way to disable these checks.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkWay said:

As for the "pirate" scene I'm sure someone(some people) can figure out a way to disable these checks.

Your ps3 would connect automaticaly to the nearest password-free wifi to send the logs.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
DarkWay said:

Your ps3 would connect automaticaly to the nearest password-free wifi to send the logs.
What if you live in a place where no other networks are found?

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
DarkWay said:

theres no free wifi spots near my house + connecting to other peoples wifi will be a intrusion of privacy so that aint going to happen

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deathking said:
chartube12 said:
DarkWay said:

+ connecting to other peoples wifi will be a intrusion of privacy so that aint going to happen

This isn't 100% true. The iphone for example will always connect to wifi when it's available. My gf's iphone 4 brand new and never used at my place til the other day auto connected cuz i didn't have a password truned on. She didn't even tell it to connect. This same auto search and connect thing is in the ps3 for sending logs. It's the samething gonna be built in to the 3ds for updates. It's a legal gray area they get away with cuz it's concidered your fault for not putting a password on.

cotyboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
chartube12 said:
DarkWay said:

ever since I used jailbreak I never had the guts to connect my first PS3 to PSN, so i'll be safe from having that forced automatic update
grog.gif

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DigitalDeviant said:
you know you can disable the wireless on the ps3.

But yesterday rumors started filling the offical ps site that, the wifi reenables for just long enough to send the logs threw a near connection everytime the ps3 gets turned on. Sony has been taking down these post ASAP.

I wouldn't be surpised if this is infact true or if sony will issue an update to make it true.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its most likely in the EULA that the user agreed to it (without bothering to read it of course) that they can collect data about the PS3 on boot

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Bloodgod said:
*facedesk*

if PS3s are using open wifi spots to call home. Pull the damn plug
Let's play with an unplugged PS3 then, eh?

Quite a sneaky move by Sony. I'd imagine each and every user ended up agreeing to it so everything said so far is probably legal. Really curious to see how this whole pirate VS Sony situation will pan out.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Raiser said:
Bloodgod said:
*facedesk*

if PS3s are using open wifi spots to call home. Pull the damn plug
Let's play with an unplugged PS3 then, eh?

Quite a sneaky move by Sony. I'd imagine each and every user ended up agreeing to it so everything said so far is probably legal. Really curious to see how this whole pirate VS Sony situation will pan out.

Please use your head and read the article. kthx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1