Sony confirms they're working on a new console, patent potentially hints at backwards compatibility

ps (1).png

During an interview with The Financial Times--a business publication--Kenichiro Yoshida, Sony's CEO confirmed that while they don't have anything official to say yet, they are working towards a new console release. "At this point, what I can say is it's necessary to have a next-generation hardware" were his words. Of course, with four iterations of PlayStation systems so far, it's no doubt that Sony would eventually continue its success with gaming consoles. Such a claim shouldn't be a surprise, but it does beg the question as to when the next generation of hardware will actually begin to roll out, marking an end to the current PlayStation 4, which has been selling incredibly well, and if Sony will continue their hot streak.

Yoshida's comment also possibly ties into a document that Sony has filed. Within it is a patent for "remastering by emulation", which would allow for "legacy game software" to be remastered for a "higher resolution display". Though, while the publishing of the patent and its details is from October 2018, Sony actually filed the patent back in 2016, meaning its not certain that it relates to any future hardware, or will definitively be utilized.

The original software is then played on the higher resolution display, with asset (such as texture) calls being intercepted, identified, and the data structure entered to retrieve the remastered asset having a matching identifier. The remastered asset is then inserted on the fly into the game presentation.

What are your thoughts? Are you ready for a "PlayStation 5" to maybe get a reveal soon? Do you think Sony can hold onto the lead they gained over Microsoft this gen? And would a new PlayStation system even offer backwards compatibility, when the PlayStation 4 notably did not?

ps.jpg

:arrow: Source 1: Interview
:arrow: Source 2: Patent

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
If they stick with x86, at a guess Ryzen based, there's not really much of an excuse to not include some kind of free BC.

Looking at the patent though, I wonder if they'll do 'upgrade packs', similar to 4K on the XbonX?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Though, while the publishing of the patent and its details is from October 2018, Sony actually filed the patent back in 2016, meaning its not certain that it relates to any future hardware, or will definitively be utilized.

The patent describes the PSP remastering process, it's already been used.

The PS5 is likely to be just another upgraded version of the PS4, like the PS4 Pro was.

Last edited by smf,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like there has to be some backwards compatibility. Even if they didn't automatically remaster games for free or at a discount (meh).

I also feel like they aren't going wait until 2021 at this point, to release the console.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If they stick with x86, at a guess Ryzen based, there's not really much of an excuse to not include some kind of free BC.

Looking at the patent though, I wonder if they'll do 'upgrade packs', similar to 4K on the XbonX?
Sticking with x86 is basically 99.999-recurring% a definite, especially with MS doing the same, and the massive popularity of the PS4. Ryzen-based is also likely, and yes I'm sure there's some X1X style resolution etc upgrading trickery going on.

The only problem: consoles are now surely following the phone industry of somewhat incremental updates: CPU should be a massive boost over current gen for sure, but a 1080Ti beating GPU monster is unlikely, and 16GB ram/SSD, while possible, is not a guarantee either. Fingers crossed though, and the generational jump in CPU is certainly great news!

Surely our PS4 collections will all run - what I'm interested in is, especially in the case of indie/retro titles, will some 'PS5' games run on our PS4s? It's quite possible future game boxes will have 'Also plays on PS4' or similar...

Reactions: geodeath

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
We already knew that they have been rolling out PS5 devkits for a while now. If I recall that's what the Cyberpunk demo at E3 was reportedly running on.

Reactions: DuoForce

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Sticking with x86 is basically 99.999-recurring% a definite, especially with MS doing the same, and the massive popularity of the PS4. Ryzen-based is also likely, and yes I'm sure there's some X1X style resolution etc upgrading trickery going on.

The only problem: consoles are now surely following the phone industry of somewhat incremental updates: CPU should be a massive boost over current gen for sure, but a 1080Ti beating GPU monster is unlikely, and 16GB ram/SSD, while possible, is not a guarantee either. Fingers crossed though, and the generational jump in CPU is certainly great news!

Surely our PS4 collections will all run - what I'm interested in is, especially in the case of indie/retro titles, will some 'PS5' games run on our PS4s? It's quite possible future game boxes will have 'Also plays on PS4' or similar...

I suspect they'll continue the 'half gen' (i.e. PS5 followed by PS5 Pro) approach until they decide to switch to cloud gaming and/or a full switch to mobile gaming (both of which I dislike).

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Give me a bloodborne remaster with 60 fps and some of the games issues smoothed over and I'll get this day 1. Otherwise I'm done with sony.

Cecilmax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think, backward compatibly can just help selling more consoles. For myself, I never buy new console when they come out because there is not enough new game on it, so I wait 1-2 years. But if the console is backward compatible, I would buy it immediately and play my old games on it while waiting for new game. Plus, Im a retro gamer, so if I can have a console that will play all ps1-ps4 games without have to hack it, I will definitively buy it right away :)

During an interview with The Financial Times--a business publication--Kenichiro Yoshida, Sony's CEO confirmed that while they don't have anything official to say yet, they are working towards a new console release. "At this point, what I can say is it's necessary to have a next-generation hardware" were his words. Of course, with four iterations of PlayStation systems so far, it's no doubt that Sony would eventually continue its success with gaming consoles. Such a claim shouldn't be a surprise, but it does beg the question as to when the next generation of hardware will actually begin to roll out, marking an end to the current PlayStation 4, which has been selling incredibly well, and if Sony will continue their hot streak.

Yoshida's comment also possibly ties into a document that Sony has filed. Within it is a patent for "remastering by emulation", which would allow for "legacy game software" to be remastered for a "higher resolution display". Though, while the publishing of the patent and its details is from October 2018, Sony actually filed the patent back in 2016, meaning its not certain that it relates to any future hardware, or will definitively be utilized.

What are your thoughts? Are you ready for a "PlayStation 5" to maybe get a reveal soon? Do you think Sony can hold onto the lead they gained over Microsoft this gen? And would a new PlayStation system even offer backwards compatibility, when the PlayStation 4 notably did not?

:arrow: Source 1: Interview
:arrow: Source 2: Patent

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s